Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Dec 15, 2015 at 11:01 PM Post #3,466 of 3,645
Do I select my device? because iPog 7th gen Classic isn't listed... only 6th gen

Dec 15, 2015 at 11:14 PM Post #3,467 of 3,645
Nvm. iPod 7g 160gb confirmed up and running. Now time to transfer songs!

edit: Windows 10 64bit not recognizing iPod. Can't drag & drop 

Dec 16, 2015 at 2:32 AM Post #3,468 of 3,645
Hey guys, it's not about bad cables, etc for me atleast. Transfering trough emCore diskmode (¨~21MB/s) or trough rockbox diskmode (~7MB/s) is just unstable, getting corruptions witch lead to undeletable folders etc. On stock cable...

The problem is These disk modes do not work well with anything else other than the stock hard drives, witch i think the transfers were working fine on rockbox when i was with the standard 160GB HDD.

With dual booting i can get stable transfers trough apple OS on my iflash dual ipod (256+128)GB at about 25MB/s, Also stable trough Fiio L11 adapter(Mini usb + line out)

Quote:

Are you just referring to the new, dualbooted version of Rockbox that has problems with file transfers? Or, are you saying that the older Emcore version of Rockbox also has this problem?

Personally, I've never had a problem with file transfers to Windows from my iPod with the Emcore version of Rockbox. (That is, except when using a crappy-quality USB cable, or when getting a ground loop because my iPod was still plugged into the desktop stereo at the same time through the line out.)

I personally haven't had a need to upgrade to the dualboot version, since I don't watch videos on my iPod and have no need for the Apple firmware.

I've found the emcore Rockbox to be prone to fail every now and then with USB, though different ipods and different releases of rockbox seem to perform differently in that regard.  But most of all rockbox usb transfer is much slower than original firmware.  I think it also can create transfer errors even when you don't necessarily notice them.

ThinWalls. have ya been using those fake chinese cables or the original one made by apple? I noticed that using chinese ones I used to have usb problems. 

You can read all about my own experience with crappy USB cables here in China! I made a post about it on here two months ago. 
redface.gif

Dec 16, 2015 at 3:39 AM Post #3,470 of 3,645
Alright how do I uninstall everything. I've done several restores. But the iPod still shows up when plugged in with the default folders for Rockbox

Dec 16, 2015 at 3:49 AM Post #3,471 of 3,645
  Alright how do I uninstall everything. I've done several restores. But the iPod still shows up when plugged in with the default folders for Rockbox

iTunes recovery not working?, Download zadig_2.1.2 from this guide
http://www.head-fi.org/t/532426/ipod-classic-rockbox-its-happening/3375#post_12092417
direct link to download: http://zadig.akeo.ie/downloads/zadig_2.1.2.exe

put iPod in DFU mode, and connect to PC, run zadig, select USB DFU device (you need to go to options, list all devices), and WinUSB driver, and click install/reinstall. Now iTunes should detect the iPod properly, and recovery to apple firmware should work.

Dec 16, 2015 at 3:51 AM Post #3,472 of 3,645

iTunes recovery not working?, Download zadig_2.1.2 from this guide
http://www.head-fi.org/t/532426/ipod-classic-rockbox-its-happening/3375#post_12092417
direct link to download: http://zadig.akeo.ie/downloads/zadig_2.1.2.exe

put iPod in DFU mode, and connect to PC, run zadig, select USB DFU device, and WinUSB driver, and click install/reinstall. Now iTunes should detect the iPod properly, and recovery to apple firmware should work.

iTunes recovery works fine. But after I replug in my iPod it'll still show my iPod under devices (as if it were a open hdd) to drag and drop and the default folders are there. I'll try this software

Dec 16, 2015 at 5:45 AM Post #3,474 of 3,645

Hey guys, it's not about bad cables, etc for me atleast. Transfering trough emCore diskmode (¨~21MB/s) or trough rockbox diskmode (~7MB/s) is just unstable, getting corruptions witch lead to undeletable folders etc. On stock cable...

The problem is These disk modes do not work well with anything else other than the stock hard drives, witch i think the transfers were working fine on rockbox when i was with the standard 160GB HDD.

With dual booting i can get stable transfers trough apple OS on my iflash dual ipod (256+128)GB at about 25MB/s, Also stable trough Fiio L11 adapter(Mini usb + line out)

Sounds like the problem is mostly with compatibility between the Rockbox firmware and modded iPods, then. Is that what you're saying?

Dec 16, 2015 at 5:47 AM Post #3,475 of 3,645

How is that a problem? why would you not have it mounted as external drive, while also having itunes working with it?

My point is after the iTunes restore the files/folders installed from Rockbox are still there. Wouldn't you think they would be all gone?

Dec 16, 2015 at 6:58 AM Post #3,476 of 3,645

Sounds like the problem is mostly with compatibility between the Rockbox firmware and modded iPods, then. Is that what you're saying?

As far as i can tell, yeah.

My point is after the iTunes restore the files/folders installed from Rockbox are still there. Wouldn't you think they would be all gone?

So the recovery failed, and it still boots to emcore/rockbox? in that case, that usb driver thing should help with the recovery to work properly.

It boots to apple firmware? Then i dunno why it would have files left, just delete the .rockbox folder i ques.

Dec 16, 2015 at 7:20 PM Post #3,477 of 3,645
Just installed on my 80gb 6.5G. Botched the installation twice with my own idiocy, but third time was the charm. Seems to work marvelously now! Even found a theme that mimics an old C-cassette player to add a proverbial cherry on top of it all! For five or six years this (previously awful) player has been laying around, but now it might see some action again; not over my X7 of course, but on occasion maybe.

Thank you, Rockbox!

Dec 17, 2015 at 5:29 AM Post #3,478 of 3,645
So two patches were merged this morning (or whatever time zone you are in:))
http://gerrit.rockbox.org/r/#/q/status:merged

The major difference is that Vcore is decreased from 1050 to 1000 mV.

Optimizes encoding of LCD command sequences.

Upon connecting the Classic and using the Rockbox Utility beta provided by user890104, this new dev build can be installed. Vcore indeed was lowered from 1050 to 1000 mV @ 54 MHz, and also lowered from 1200 to 1100 mV @ 216 MHz. Seems stable to me :)

Dec 17, 2015 at 12:42 PM Post #3,479 of 3,645

I have these versions installed at my end. I have not encountered this runtime error during installation.

Unfortunately, even with all the following installed, it still doesn't work for me...(some of these seem to be later versions of same packages)

Edit - it works on another computer, which has an earlier version of the 2013 x86 runtime library installed.

Dec 17, 2015 at 6:51 PM Post #3,480 of 3,645
  So two patches were merged this morning (or whatever time zone you are in:))
http://gerrit.rockbox.org/r/#/q/status:merged

Upon connecting the Classic and using the Rockbox Utility beta provided by user890104, this new dev build can be installed. Vcore indeed was lowered from 1050 to 1000 mV @ 54 MHz, and also lowered from 1200 to 1100 mV @ 216 MHz. Seems stable to me :)

Is the new Rockbox firmware posted somewhere with these updates?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back