Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Dec 8, 2015 at 3:42 AM Post #3,451 of 3,645

Though it does appear the installation works if I go back to the previous method.  So its something to do with the new rockbox utility, I guess, rather than the bootloader installation itself.

Hello,
Please try installing Micrisoft Visual C++ Runtime for 32-bit Windows. Not sure which version, maybe 2012 and up. Can you please retry running Rockbox Utility after installation, to see if the error message is gone? If not, can you try installing a more recent or older version of MSVC++ Runtime, and check again? It would be very helpful for all if you could post the version number which solved the problem for you. Having multiple versions of MSVC++ Runtime side by side shouldn't cause issues. Thanks.

Dec 8, 2015 at 11:55 AM Post #3,452 of 3,645
Hello,
Please try installing Micrisoft Visual C++ Runtime for 32-bit Windows. Not sure which version, maybe 2012 and up. Can you please retry running Rockbox Utility after installation, to see if the error message is gone? If not, can you try installing a more recent or older version of MSVC++ Runtime, and check again? It would be very helpful for all if you could post the version number which solved the problem for you. Having multiple versions of MSVC++ Runtime side by side shouldn't cause issues. Thanks.

(Re-) Installed the latest versions of both 64bit and 32bit but didn't make any difference.  Haven't yet tried older version as when I tried it warns me 'a later version is already installed'.

Dec 9, 2015 at 7:15 AM Post #3,454 of 3,645

I have these versions installed at my end. I have not encountered this runtime error during installation.

I have these versions installed at my end. I have not encountered this runtime error during installation.

Bit stuck on this - if I run the 2012 redistributable install it only gives the options to 'repair' or 'uninstall', so I assume its already installed.  Tried 2013 and 2015 ones for both x86 and x64 and still get the same runtime error. 

Edit - even tried installing the 2008 and 2005 versions, but still no luck.

I have, however, gotten several ipods working now using the older method, and there's definitely a hugely welcome increase in speed of syncing by being able to using OF mode.  Its a big step forward.

So I hope somehow the installation utility will work for me eventually.

Do I understand correctly that at the moment this will only work with the version of rockbox linked to here, not with the current development version?  Will that change at some point?

Dec 11, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #3,455 of 3,645
DiscoProJoe's Rockbox EQ Presets, Version 3.0

(Click the big link above to relish my latest brand-new invention. Bon appetit!) 
atsmile.gif

Dec 14, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #3,457 of 3,645
  Use Apple's firmware or Apple's Disk Mode for file transfer, and Rockbox only for listening to music. Rockbox's USB driver still has some issues on Windows, but it should work fine on Linux.

Are you just referring to the new, dualbooted version of Rockbox that has problems with file transfers? Or, are you saying that the older Emcore version of Rockbox also has this problem?

Personally, I've never had a problem with file transfers to Windows from my iPod with the Emcore version of Rockbox. (That is, except when using a crappy-quality USB cable, or when getting a ground loop because my iPod was still plugged into the desktop stereo at the same time through the line out.)

I personally haven't had a need to upgrade to the dualboot version, since I don't watch videos on my iPod and have no need for the Apple firmware.

Dec 14, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #3,458 of 3,645
I've found the emcore Rockbox to be prone to fail every now and then with USB, though different ipods and different releases of rockbox seem to perform differently in that regard.  But most of all rockbox usb transfer is much slower than original firmware.  I think it also can create transfer errors even when you don't necessarily notice them.

Dec 14, 2015 at 10:53 PM Post #3,459 of 3,645
  I've found the emcore Rockbox to be prone to fail every now and then with USB, though different ipods and different releases of rockbox seem to perform differently in that regard.  But most of all rockbox usb transfer is much slower than original firmware.  I think it also can create transfer errors even when you don't necessarily notice them.

Strange; I've never noticed any problems. My music collection is currently 56 GB, and it would normally take about an hour-and-a-half to add it to my iPod through iTunes with the Apple firmware. With Emcore Rockbox, it takes about 2 hours to copy my collection to the iPod by dragging and dropping the main music collection folder from Windows to the root directory of the iPod.

I guess it must be slightly slower copying back and forth in Rockbox compared to the Apple firmware, but not that much slower.

Dec 15, 2015 at 5:38 AM Post #3,460 of 3,645

Strange; I've never noticed any problems. My music collection is currently 56 GB, and it would normally take about an hour-and-a-half to add it to my iPod through iTunes with the Apple firmware. With Emcore Rockbox, it takes about 2 hours to copy my collection to the iPod by dragging and dropping the main music collection folder from Windows to the root directory of the iPod.

I guess it must be slightly slower copying back and forth in Rockbox compared to the Apple firmware, but not that much slower.

Well, can only say I found doing a full sync (of several hundred Gb) takes maybe 7 hours with OF and more like 20 hours with emcore rockbox.  Definitely found to sync 300gb or so takes all night and much of the next day, but the one time I've done it with OF it seemed to be about 2-3 times as fast (only taking all night!).

Its true that I haven't found rockbox usb actually falling over during a sync since many Rockbox versions ago.  Either I'm using more reliable ipods or they've improved things.  But early on in using rockbox and modded ipods it seemed to be very unreliable. It definitely would drop the connection quite often in the middle of syncing.

As for subtle transfer errors, really can't say I've noticed them myself, I'm only going on what has been said by others in this very thread (or maybe in the ipod modding thread).  Doubt I could dig up the posts now, but I've seen it claimed that on checking hash codes or signatures or whatever its called it turned out files were not copied perfectly. 

On Rockbox's own site its been acknowledged in various thread comments that the USB handling isn't entirely reliable on the classic (it is still officially 'not working' after all!).

(All of which is why its great that dual-booting seems to be pretty much working now, if someone could just find a solution for the C++ errors mentioned above!  And kudos - whatever kudos are - to those who have made such progress on dual-booting)

Dec 15, 2015 at 6:27 AM Post #3,461 of 3,645

Well, can only say I found doing a full sync (of several hundred Gb) takes maybe 7 hours with OF and more like 20 hours with emcore rockbox.  Definitely found to sync 300gb or so takes all night and much of the next day, but the one time I've done it with OF it seemed to be about 2-3 times as fast (only taking all night!).

Its true that I haven't found rockbox usb actually falling over during a sync since many Rockbox versions ago.  Either I'm using more reliable ipods or they've improved things.  But early on in using rockbox and modded ipods it seemed to be very unreliable. It definitely would drop the connection quite often in the middle of syncing.

As for subtle transfer errors, really can't say I've noticed them myself, I'm only going on what has been said by others in this very thread (or maybe in the ipod modding thread).  Doubt I could dig up the posts now, but I've seen it claimed that on checking hash codes or signatures or whatever its called it turned out files were not copied perfectly. 

On Rockbox's own site its been acknowledged in various thread comments that the USB handling isn't entirely reliable on the classic (it is still officially 'not working' after all!).

(All of which is why its great that dual-booting seems to be pretty much working now, if someone could just find a solution for the C++ errors mentioned above!  And kudos - whatever kudos are - to those who have made such progress on dual-booting)

ThinWalls. have ya been using those fake chinese cables or the original one made by apple? I noticed that using chinese ones I used to have usb problems. 

Dec 15, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #3,462 of 3,645
  ThinWalls. have ya been using those fake chinese cables or the original one made by apple? I noticed that using chinese ones I used to have usb problems. 

You can read all about my own experience with crappy USB cables here in China! I made a post about it on here two months ago. 
redface.gif

Dec 15, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #3,463 of 3,645

You can read all about my own experience with crappy USB cables here in China! I made a post about it on here two months ago. 
redface.gif

Yes!!! They do not work well. Once I have written about them as well

"Do not use fake usb cable, use ONLY the original usb cable, the one that comes with the ipod. I have several chineses usb cable here and none of them works, only charges. The original one uses 7 pins (Pin-1 for Ground, Pin-15 for Ground, Pin-16 for Ground, Pin-23 for +5V, Pin-25 for D-, and Pin-27 for D+) and the chineses use only 4 (normally Pins 16,23,25,27), these things make the whole difference. Check it out and tell us later on."

But the funny thing i:, usually they work well for ipod touch (those with 30 pins)

Dec 15, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #3,464 of 3,645

I tried loads of different cables, including many proper Apple ones, and also others from God-knows-where.  Didn't seem to make any difference back when I was having problems with Rockbox syncing.  And, as I say, the failing sync problem seems to have stopped anyway, regardless of cable.

The speed difference, which is the main issue for me, I'm pretty sure is just down to Rockbox or emcore itself.  I know some have found emcore disk mode gives a much faster transfer rate than rockbox mode, but it seems you only get emcore disk mode as an option if you use one particular relase of emcore.

Dec 15, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #3,465 of 3,645
  Long time silent follower of this topic here, I've read most of the 3k plus posts and I must say this is the best thread ever on any topic related forum, awesome community.

iPod Classic 1G (160GB Thick) Firmware 1.1.2, stuck at 60% every time on "Transfering DFU imagen..." with all Apple/iTunes/iPod processes killed.

Hope it helps, GREAT job!!

COMPLETE SUCCESS ON v5!!! THANK YOU SO SO MUCH!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back