Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Dec 4, 2015 at 2:11 AM Post #3,423 of 3,645
Checking in to share my experience with a 2.05 device:

followed the instructions, got an error with the installer that LIBUSB was not found. discovered that I had to use zadig to switch from libusb-win32 (which i had set per the previous posts instructions that I had initially attempted) to libusbK. Once I did that, the installer appeared to transfer the bootloader over successfully (at least per the dialogue in the installer anyway) ipod beeped only once. 

suspect that this is a problem, as the mk6boot readme states:

Code:
 When the DFU is loaded it emits a 2000Hz/100ms 'alive' tone. When RB loader is successfully installed then 1000Hz/100ms+2000Hz/150ms beep sounds and the device reboots. If something went bad then 330Hz/500ms tone is emited and the device reboots. When an intermitent 330Hz tone sounds forever, it means that the NOR got corrupted and the device must be restored using iTunes (should not happen).

when the rockbox installer attempted to reboot the device, the ipod never left DFU mode until I forced a reboot (menu/select hold) and once it booted back up, the rockbox installer copied over the .rockbox file from the zip that I downloaded from the post per the instructions. 

once that was complete, the ipod continues to boot into apple stock interface. menu plus right on the boot doesn't seem to force the rockbox interface. 

Dec 4, 2015 at 3:02 AM Post #3,424 of 3,645
  Checking in to share my experience with a 2.05 device:

followed the instructions, got an error with the installer that LIBUSB was not found. discovered that I had to use zadig to switch from libusb-win32 (which i had set per the previous posts instructions that I had initially attempted) to libusbK. Once I did that, the installer appeared to transfer the bootloader over successfully (at least per the dialogue in the installer anyway) ipod beeped only once. 

suspect that this is a problem, as the mk6boot readme states:

when the rockbox installer attempted to reboot the device, the ipod never left DFU mode until I forced a reboot (menu/select hold) and once it booted back up, the rockbox installer copied over the .rockbox file from the zip that I downloaded from the post per the instructions. 

once that was complete, the ipod continues to boot into apple stock interface. menu plus right on the boot doesn't seem to force the rockbox interface. 

You don't need to install rockbox.zip, it is provided only for reference. The installer does it for you.

About the drivers:
Option 1: if you have iTunes installed, you don't need any custom (non-Apple) drivers. It will work automagically.
Option 2: If you don't, you can use zadig to install a driver, starting with WinUSB and switching to one of the others two in case it doesn't work.
Option 3: or, you can use the good ol' method of installing Apple's drivers, without any other part of their software. It is explained on this page.

Bad news: there's a problem in the dualboot bootloader, which prevents it from installing on some devices, because it thinks there's not enough space. It may or may not work for you. The main developer has located what causes the issue, and I'll post a fix as soon as it's ready.

Everyone who attempt the installation: please post if it worked, the version of your Apple firmware, and the stock size of your iPod. Also, if there's any unexpected error message, please post a screenshot or a photo of the iPod screen, depending on where the message shows.

Dec 4, 2015 at 4:00 AM Post #3,425 of 3,645
[COLOR=FF00AA][/COLOR]Interesting. When I attempted the installation with just the zip or exe, it failed saying something about not being able to find the rockbox.zip file. So I downloaded the file referenced in your post and put it into the same directory as the other files from the installation zip. It allows the installer to proceed. I was able to confirm that the iPod now has the extracted .rockbox folder in the root of the device after the installation.

Edit: ill follow up tomorrow with screenshots relevant to what I ran into.

Dec 4, 2015 at 4:29 AM Post #3,426 of 3,645
Interesting. When I attempted the installation with just the zip or exe, it failed saying something about not being able to find the rockbox.zip file. So I downloaded the file referenced in your post and put it into the same directory as the other files from the installation zip. It allows the installer to proceed. I was able to confirm that the iPod now has the extracted .rockbox folder in the root of the device after the installation.

Edit: ill follow up tomorrow with screenshots relevant to what I ran into.

Sorry, that's my mistake - I forgot to include rockbox.zip in the ZIP archive. Fixed, thanks!

Dec 4, 2015 at 4:38 AM Post #3,427 of 3,645
Hey Bro!, thanks for the tutorial. Unfortunately the IPod did NOT complain about the "not having RBox folder". I just did a reset and then put the .rockbox folder inside that. But Rockbox did not start on my ipod classic (2.0.4).

One thing I noticed is that, at number 10, when it installed the driver, my ipod showed as "ipod recovery" instead of DFU device. Could this be the problem?

Thanks in advance

Dec 4, 2015 at 4:42 AM Post #3,428 of 3,645
  Hey Bro!, thanks for the tutorial. Unfortunately the IPod did NOT complain about the "not having RBox folder". I just did a reset and then put the .rockbox folder inside that. But Rockbox did not start on my ipod classic (2.0.4).

One thing I noticed is that, at number 10, when it installed the driver, my ipod showed as "ipod recovery" instead of DFU device. Could this be the problem?

Thanks in advance

I guess that iTunes took over and sent some data to the iPod which our installer doesn't like. Please make sure that iTunes is closed, open Task Manager, find if there are any iPod- or Apple- related processes, terminate them and retry installation from the beginning (rebooting the iPod with MENU+SELECT first, just to be sure).

Dec 4, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #3,431 of 3,645
Im having problems with this not working on my freshly restored iPod Classic running 2.0.4 and actually it was doing the same thing with the previous version using ipoddfu.py.   After loading the bootloader with ipoddfu.py my iPod does beep once but never reboots.  When I do reboot with select and menu it boots to the stock firmware and I never have the option to load rockbox.  

The only thing I can think might be causing problems is I have repalced my harddrive with the Tarkan iFlash-CF.   Anyone else with the iFlash-CF having problems or get it working properly??

Dec 4, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #3,432 of 3,645
I am experiencing a problem on a new iPod Classic whilst trying to install RockboxBootloaderInstaller_iPodClassic_v4

I am trying to install the Rockbox dual bootloader on an iPod Classic 7th Generation 120Gb thin version (model no MB562) running ipod OS 2.0.1 PC (latest version available for it) and it is not managing to install the bootloader. I'm running Windows 7 64-bit. In the past, I also could not install the Emcore bootloader on it. On another iPod Classic 7.5Gen 160gb 2.0.4 I could do both these installations flawlessly.

After carrying out the 'Transfering DFU imagen' step (with 1 beep sound), the iPod screen keeps black, stays in DFU mode and does not restart after the 60% progress bar point. After it reaches 99%, the PC tells me to try to reset the iPod. I reset the iPod then it installs Rockbox according to the prompts on the PC. But rockbox never works and when I reset the ipod, the bootloader does not load, and it does not make a beep noise when reset. It just loads the Apple original system as if the bootloader is not installed. When I check in the iPod device, there is the .rockbox folder installed by the rockbox utility.

I tried it also on a new laptop (windows 7 64-bit) with no zadig installed. Only iTunes was installed and made sure to close the AppleMobiledeviceservice.exe, the iTuneshelper.exe and iPod Service.exe processes on the task manager. I kept the taskmanager open beside the window and closed AppleMobiledeviceservice.exe about three times during the rockbox installation procedure. It gives me the same result.

I am attaching a screenshot of the progress checkpoints. Maybe this firmware/iPod version is unsupported with this bootloader? If you require me to do a hash check for this firmware, let me know if I can help in making it compatible with mine. It seems that I am encountering the same problem that knate is describing on his own iPod.

Dec 4, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #3,433 of 3,645
Long time silent follower of this topic here, I've read most of the 3k plus posts and I must say this is the best thread ever on any topic related forum, awesome community.

iPod Classic 1G (160GB Thick) Firmware 1.1.2, stuck at 60% every time on "Transfering DFU imagen..." with all Apple/iTunes/iPod processes killed.

Hope it helps, GREAT job!!

Dec 5, 2015 at 9:34 AM Post #3,434 of 3,645
Hi there, after hours of searching the internet on how to rockbox my ipod 7G slim, I found a solution a few months ago as to why Rockbox wasn't installing on my iPod.

For some of you, even though you have installed Rockbox using the instructions included here in the beginning of the thread and on the freemyipod site, & it still gives an error saying rockbox failed, there might be a solution & I hope it helps someone. Here's a snip of my earlier post on this thread here:
"
Hi. I hope anyone can help, well I have tried installing Rockbox and have followed the manual and copied the installer-ipodclassic.ubi file into the UMSboot volume and safely ejected the ipod and used the Rockbox utility to install Rockbox, ticking 'Show disabled targets' checkbox. It completed the Rockbox Utility installation & I safely ejected, shut off and booted up the ipod. I even copied extracted the contents of the latest build rockbox-ipod6g-20151024 folder into the ipod volume.  

But In the Rockbox Boot Menu, when I select it, it still tells me Loading Rockbox.iPod Failed! Trying Fallback Image. No .rockbox directory. Installation incomplete. I've tried three times, restoring the iPod and starting again. I don't understand what exactly is wrong... I must be missing something. There's no rockbox-ipod6g folder unless I install it myself in the ipod volume, the Rockbox utility doesn't install it which is wierd.

I could try using this sites method without running Rockbox utility  https://www.tarkan.info/20140804/tutorials/howto-install-rockbox-on-the-ipod-classics, but the method seems it's for iFlash only, like iPods with SD and mSata drives.

Sorry for the long post but trying to explain the prob as throughly as possible.

Thanks."

The .rockbox files on tarkan.info site indeed works for stubborn iPods, such as mine
biggrin.gif
and I have been happily enjoying Rockbox on my ipod with my Senns for the last few months
smily_headphones1.gif
, it works on all type of drives apparently, whether they're iFlash SSD drives or HDD drives, like the disk platter spinning ones.

To my delight, my headphones volume range has improved, as it seems my iPod might have been volume capped due to EU regulations, and I can now drive them to ear splitting levels, coz I was considering buying a portable amp. I particularly enjoy the equalizer coz my headphones were missing some crucial presence-range midrange that recessed vocals, somewhere in the 5K and 260Hz range.

I later realized though after I successfully installed Rockbox, that my iPod may have fallen one too many times and that could be the reason why the normal rockbox files failed to install in my iPod with the Rockbox installer. A simple disk and error check and a disk defrag to my iPod has fixed this issue, as the iPod was a bit laggy sometimes & it has made my iPod much smoother with Rockbox installed, I haven't tried to re-install Rockbox though, as it's pretty stable now.

I intend to install this new dual boot original firmware & Rockbox thingy, coz I sometimes miss the clicking sound in the original iPod firmware,.. I'm just fickle like that :)

Dec 5, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #3,435 of 3,645
Hi, I tried it on a third iPod Classic and it doesn't properly install on an iPod Classic 6th Generation 80GB Thin HDD Black version (Model: MB147) with the latest firmware 1.1.2 PC - using Windows 7 64-bit laptop.

I am experiencing the same situation like my second iPod Classic 120Gb posted above. It does not restart after entering DFU mode when queried at 60% level. Have to reset the iPod as prompted. When full installation is done, and the iPod is reset, it opens directly the Apple original OS. Cannot enter into rockbox at any moment and does not 'beep' after iPod is reset. The '.rockbox' folder is there on the iPod when I check with windows explorer. It seems that the dual bootloader is not installing properly on this iPod model.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back