Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Feb 2, 2015 at 7:31 PM Post #3,256 of 3,645
  I recently modified my 6.5g iPod 120GB to use an SDXC card.  I installed emCore and this thread's version of Rockbox.  Everything works great until I try to load my music library onto the iPod.  My library currently has 14747 titles and takes up 135GB.  I use MediaMonkey as my library manager.  Before the iPod mod, I used it to convert all the titles on the fly to MP3 VBR in order to fit them on the 120GB HDD.  My library will only get bigger as I move to replace MP3s with FLAC hence the mods to my iPod for more space and higher quality music.

I've been using Windows Explorer to drag and drop to the iPod drive.  Everything is fine until I reach 12-13000 songs using 100-125GB.  Then, randomly, the FAT32 file system on the iPod corrupts and the primary partition is rendered unusable.  I have to reboot the iPod, go into Tools and reformat the SD card, then go through the entire install process again.  I'm on my 7th try to load my music. 

Since it takes a lot of time over USB 2.0 using the original Apple cable to load 135GB, I've had lots of time between retries to do research into why it keeps failing.  I've tried everything I've found or could think of on my own.  My last try took an entire day as I loaded in 1-2GB chunks allowing Rockbox to fully process and commit each batch to the database.  I tested the songs on the iPod to make sure everything was working, then rebooted the iPod before starting the next batch.  Strangely, this got me the furthest, but still failed.

I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium fully patched on my Dell XPS 8500 quad core with 16GB RAM.  My music collection is stored on a 4TB RAID1 array.  I'm a pretty hard core DIYer and reasonably technically savvy.  Previous to this, I've hacked my TIVO, Motorola cell phone and Davis weather station to improve their performance and abilities.

I'm beginning to think that the issue I'm having is related to the hardware I used to mod the iPod.  I used a Micro SATA Cables CF Card to 1.8 inch ZIF Adapter for IPOD, SD to CF Type II Adapter and PNY Elite Performance 256GB High Speed SDXC Class 10 UHS-1 Flash Card.

I'd appreciate any ideas or advice help me overcome this issue.

More than likely it is your adapter or the way you are formatting your card (allocation ect.) Emcore formats for a HDD not a sdcard. Give this guide a shot. http://www.tarkan.info/20140310/tutorials/prepare-sdxc-exfat-for-use-with-the-ipod

EDIT: just so I understand this correct your converting a HDD or a CF card to SD?

Feb 4, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #3,257 of 3,645
The link you included is the one I had already found and used to set up it all up the first time.  My SD card started out as exFAT in a single partition.   Running the bootstrap program created a 32MB boot partition and the remainder of the SD card was formatted as FAT32.  I haven't been able to find any way to format the SD card so that emCore will recognize it, except to let emCore to do the formatting.  Formatting it as either exFAT or FAT32 with software specifically for SD cards isn't recognized by either Rockbox or emCore.  However, the boot sector continues to work fine in the iPod.

EDIT: just so I understand this correct your converting a HDD or a CF card to SD?

I'm replacing the original HDD and iTunes with a CF to ZIF card, an SD to CF II adapter and a high capacity SDXC card running emCore and Rockbox.

I've tried to load my music 8 times so far with every single time ending when the file system was randomly corrupted and the data partition rendered unusable until reformatted.  The only thing that I'm certain of in the current configuration is that the SDXC card is not the problem.  I can format it as either exFAT or FAT32 with Windows 7 or SD specific software and use Windows Explorer or MediaMonkey to load the card manually with up to 250GB of music and video files.

I've ordered a new CF adapter set from Tarkan Akdam, so will report back here after it arrives and I get it installed and tested.

Feb 5, 2015 at 6:11 AM Post #3,258 of 3,645
  [...]  Running the bootstrap program created a 32MB boot partition and [...]

I'm not completely sure, but this might be the problem. Are you a 100% certain that you have a Classic (6th gen iPod) and not a Video (5th gen iPod)? IIRC, the Classic has 64MB of RAM (which is displayed as this partition when installing emcore) and the 30GB version of the Video has 32MB of RAM. Trying to install Classic software on the Video might mess things up.

Feb 5, 2015 at 8:17 AM Post #3,259 of 3,645
It was the largest available current model when I bought it in 2008.  I remember being bummed that Apple released it's last version of the Classic, the 160GB, a year later.  It's much thinner and faster than the iPod 80GB Video that I purchased a few years earlier.  Based on this article (http://support.apple.com/en-us/ht1353) from Apple, it's a 6.5g iPod 120GB.

Feb 5, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #3,260 of 3,645
Yes, mine does only have 32MB of RAM, but it is definitely a 120GB g6.5.  It has the SS back, anodized aluminum front and the model and serial numbers are both for the model just before the 160GB g7.  I had the 80GB Video when I bought the 120GB and it's noticeably slower, bigger and heavier.  Plus, I can't find where any other version of the Classic (I still have the box it came in.) was released with a 120GB HDD.

I think I've finally found the answer to my problem.  The driver in Rockbox is specifically for a HDD and it writes a Bad Block table in the boot sector that can result in corruption of the SD card by FAT32.  The solution is to use the fallback image that emCore has embedded in the boot sector, which uses a different driver, before loading the iPod.  I plan to give that a try and report back.

Feb 25, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #3,261 of 3,645
Hi. I am stuck with the original iPod Classic firmware, I have the last 160GB model, and wanted to have the possibility to set the eq for compensate the overcoming bass in a pair of headphones I own. Is this worth installing Rockbox?

Feb 25, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #3,262 of 3,645
Rockboxing it does a LOT more than just give you an EQ.  The type of files you can play improves greatly.  No more iTunes though.  If you can handle that, the upgrade is really really worthwhile.  Make sure you read all the instructions and know what you are going to do BEFORE you start.  If there is anything you don't understand, ask for help.  Being able to play any format of music and, not being tied to iTunes, made this an easy decision for me.  The EQ was a nice bonus.
Good luck!

Feb 26, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #3,263 of 3,645
I hope this is an appropriate forum to ask this question.  If not, please let me know where to post it.

I have a 6.5 gen iPod 120GB that has a damaged main board.  I'm attempting to repair it, but I may need to replace the main board.  Unfortunately, I have to stay with iTunes on this iPod as that's the only OS my car's entertainment system will accept.  However, I plan to mod this unit with Tarkan's iFlash and a PNY 256GB SDXC as I've done on my other iPod, but would like to circumvent the 128GB limit.  All the other hardware in the case appears to be identical with the 160GB version, so can I replace the main board in this unit with a 7th gen 160GB ?

Feb 26, 2015 at 3:32 PM Post #3,264 of 3,645
  I hope this is an appropriate forum to ask this question.  If not, please let me know where to post it.

I have a 6.5 gen iPod 120GB that has a damaged main board.  I'm attempting to repair it, but I may need to replace the main board.  Unfortunately, I have to stay with iTunes on this iPod as that's the only OS my car's entertainment system will accept.  However, I plan to mod this unit with Tarkan's iFlash and a PNY 256GB SDXC as I've done on my other iPod, but would like to circumvent the 128GB limit.  All the other hardware in the case appears to be identical with the 160GB version, so can I replace the main board in this unit with a 7th gen 160GB ?

According to Ifixit they use the same board thin vs phat https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Parts/iPod-Classic-Logic-Board/IF130-006-1   https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iPod+Classic+Logic+Board+Replacement/572

Feb 26, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #3,265 of 3,645

Yes. Ive done this many times. If you buy a board, make sure it is really a "gen7" sometimes listed as 'thin' classic gen7.

Feb 27, 2015 at 8:30 AM Post #3,266 of 3,645
Yes. Ive done this many times. If you buy a board, make sure it is really a "gen7" sometimes listed as 'thin' classic gen7.

Thank you !  Do you know the correct main board number ?  Most places list the 6.5 gen board, 820-2437-A, which I know isn't the correct board for a true 7 gen 160GB.

Feb 27, 2015 at 7:18 PM Post #3,267 of 3,645
Thank you !  Do you know the correct main board number ?  Most places list the 6.5 gen board, 820-2437-A, which I know isn't the correct board for a true 7 gen 160GB.

That number is correct- but it's also the problem. 2437-A is listed on a lot of sites for both 6 and 7th gen. When I buy now, I pay a little extra for the ones specifically identified as for the "thin" classic. The good news is RockBox will overcome the LBA issue, but when I want a 7th gen, I expect 64Ram and compatability with >128gb.

Feb 28, 2015 at 1:32 AM Post #3,268 of 3,645
Hey guys, I justed want to ask if any of you know if the inline remote on my headsets will work running rockbox on my ipod classig 6g?
I'm using the New bose noise cancelling headset when I travel, and their inline Remote supports the i-products. Judging by the number of People I see around me on flights these days who use the same headset, I thought some of you might have some experience with ipod/rockbox and this functionality?

Mar 2, 2015 at 2:29 AM Post #3,269 of 3,645
Hey guys, I justed want to ask if any of you know if the inline remote on my headsets will work running rockbox on my ipod classig 6g?

I'm using the New bose noise cancelling headset when I travel, and their inline Remote supports the i-products. Judging by the number of People I see around me on flights these days who use the same headset, I thought some of you might have some experience with ipod/rockbox and this functionality?

I tried the earpods that come with an iPhone. It also has an inline mic, but doesn't work with the rockbox os on my iPod classic 7g. And I've read from somewhere on this thread that inline remote is not yet compatible with rockboxed classics.

Mar 17, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #3,270 of 3,645
Hey, guys, I have a quick question about the ipod classic and also the shuffle, if possible. Hoping I am in the right place for this. The question is whether I can amplify the ipod classic or the shuffle using the headphone out connection (which, in the case of the shuffle, is the only connection). Probably a dumb question, I know, but I just don't know the answer and I am looking to buy an amp. Many thanks for your feedback--I really, really appreciate the input!! All the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back