Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Sep 26, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #3,154 of 3,645

Yes I am using the last daily builds on rockbox for ipod6g. I think I will try to recompile, anw I want to disable the album art.

UPDATE: I've just build from rockbox-223038d and the option is back, so the change is from recent builds, and it will not apply only for ipog 6g.Hey, 

Hey, where can I find this build now? I have searched through all rockbox page and I haven't found it. I use alot database and I have noticed that without "load to ram", the battery drains really fast. I appreciate if you could give me a hand. Thanks

Sep 26, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #3,155 of 3,645

Hey, where can I find this build now? I have searched through all rockbox page and I didn't find it. I use alot database and I have noticed that without "load to ram", the battery drains really fast. I appreciate if you could give me a hand. Thanks

I guess you have to build from the source (I don't know how to get the exact build but I think git allow it so if you are patient google for git usage)

http://git.rockbox.org/?p=rockbox.git;a=commit;h=223038d

Or you could use my build. I compiled and packed the package with "make fullzip" so it included with fonts. The only modification with the source is that I disable album artwork load so music files are loaded very fast and battery usage is increased too.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ndnqdvn7eppsl38/rockbox-6g-223038d-removedalbumart.zip?dl=0

Sep 26, 2014 at 2:12 PM Post #3,156 of 3,645
  I guess you have to build from the source (I don't know how to get the exact build but I think git allow it so if you are patient google for git usage)

Or you could use my build. I compiled and packed the package with "make fullzip" so it included with fonts. The only modification with the source is that I disable album artwork load so music files are loaded very fast and battery usage is increased too.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ndnqdvn7eppsl38/rockbox-6g-223038d-removedalbumart.zip?dl=0

Thanks a lot, man. As I am at work now and the firewall  blocks dropbox here, I will download at home, later. I really like album artwork, on the other hand, battery is much more important than beauty.

Sep 26, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #3,157 of 3,645

Hey, where can I find this build now? I have searched through all rockbox page and I haven't found it. I use alot database and I have noticed that without "load to ram", the battery drains really fast. I appreciate if you could give me a hand. Thanks

Thanks a lot, man. As I am at work now and the firewall  blocks dropbox here, I will download at home, later. I really like album artwork, on the other hand, battery is much more important than beauty.

I have yet to find this load to ram, for the database. Where is exactly?  I also enjoy looking at the album artwork, but you are correct on the whole battery life is greater than beauty.

Sep 27, 2014 at 6:36 AM Post #3,158 of 3,645
I have yet to find this load to ram, for the database. Where is exactly?  I also enjoy looking at the album artwork, but you are correct on the whole battery life is greater than beauty.

Settings -> General Settings -> Database -> Load to RAM

If course the setting will only be available if it was enable when the binary was compiled.

Sep 27, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #3,160 of 3,645
Thanks @headwhacker, but I have not seen this in any of the builds I've used.

What do you mean by the binary being enabled?

If Rockbox is compiled with the option HAVE_TAGCACHE. Then that "Load to RAM" will appear on the menu for that build. If you don't see it that means the option was not included when the build was compiled.

Sep 27, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #3,161 of 3,645
I have spent over 10 hours trying to get rockbox on my iPod classic for the sole purpose of being able to have control over the volume during playback while listening through the line out port. After struggles with iTunes and my old Windows laptop and back and forth, etc, I was able to get rockbox on my iPod classic... only to discover that the Volume Adjustment in app settings does not adjust line out volume levels. This is most frustrating to me because the sole reason I sought out rockbox was because my headphone jack only pushes audio through one speaker and I don't see the benefit of buying a new MP3 player when there is nothing out there at the moment that will allow me to store my entire music collection. Is there a patch or a simple step-by-step on how to apply this small tweak to rockbox, in order to get the line out UNFIXED? I am on the verge of smashing things... Thanks.

Sep 27, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #3,162 of 3,645
  I have spent over 10 hours trying to get rockbox on my iPod classic for the sole purpose of being able to have control over the volume during playback while listening through the line out port. After struggles with iTunes and my old Windows laptop and back and forth, etc, I was able to get rockbox on my iPod classic... only to discover that the Volume Adjustment in app settings does not adjust line out volume levels. This is most frustrating to me because the sole reason I sought out rockbox was because my headphone jack only pushes audio through one speaker and I don't see the benefit of buying a new MP3 player when there is nothing out there at the moment that will allow me to store my entire music collection. Is there a patch or a simple step-by-step on how to apply this small tweak to rockbox, in order to get the line out UNFIXED? I am on the verge of smashing things... Thanks.

I hope you are a troll. but anyway.  Line Out is a direct output from the dac, so it bypasses the amp section of the ipod. And amp is used to control volume. Line Out is for getting the signal to an external Amp, that is used to control the volume.

Sep 27, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #3,163 of 3,645
I understand that but for the time being I am looking for a work-around that will continue to allow me to get the most basic functionality out of my iPod. I have read that the line out is fixed for the very reason that the volume is meant to be controlled externally but for my purposes I need to have control over the line out volume for output through headphones. I have purchased the FiiO L11 after reading other comments that Rockbox did allow for volume control through the Line Out, stating that "this option is essential if you happen to have the FiiO L11 which has no volume control". There must be some sort of workaround? Rockbox is an alternative solution that allows one to utilize the iPod, or any DAP, in ways which were not intended by the manufactures; to me, this is one of those cases.

Sep 27, 2014 at 5:27 PM Post #3,164 of 3,645
  I hope you are a troll. but anyway.  Line Out is a direct output from the dac, so it bypasses the amp section of the ipod. And amp is used to control volume. Line Out is for getting the signal to an external Amp, that is used to control the volume.

FWIW, thats an urban legend.  Line out and headphone out are the same thing on modern devices, just with a different output impedance.  You can adjust the volume on both (generally the volume mixer is before the line out and headphone amps, and anyway, the line out amp is usually variable gain too).  

You're right though that it would be annoying if the line out volume changed, so we usually disable that (and I believe this is working on the classic).  If you wanted to hack it to let you change the line out volume, probably you just need to flip the names on these two functions so that the line out volume control is called instead of headphone volume control:

http://git.rockbox.org/?p=rockbox.git;a=blob;f=firmware/drivers/audio/cs42l55.c;h=80b6fe8710eaf250430cbac8855da3dfad49faf5;hb=HEAD#l116

Sep 28, 2014 at 10:37 PM Post #3,165 of 3,645

If Rockbox is compiled with the option HAVE_TAGCACHE. Then that "Load to RAM" will appear on the menu for that build. If you don't see it that means the option was not included when the build was compiled.

I went here (http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/RomBox) to get more info on the HAVE_TAGCACHE, but this disables the database feature. Could you possibly point me in the right direction as to how to config, and compile this correctly please?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back