Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Sep 13, 2014 at 8:01 AM Post #3,136 of 3,645
Thanks a lot to both of you. OK, so the consensus seems to be "do not wait". Only two questions then.

1) I've got a Windows 8.1 laptop: are there any compatibility issues for Win 8.1, as there are for OSX?
2) are the files linked to in the first post the updated ones? Can I just "blindly" follow those instructions or do I need to fetch newer versions of anything?

Thanks!

Sep 13, 2014 at 8:18 AM Post #3,137 of 3,645
  Thanks a lot to both of you. OK, so the consensus seems to be "do not wait". Only two questions then.

1) I've got a Windows 8.1 laptop: are there any compatibility issues for Win 8.1, as there are for OSX?
2) are the files linked to in the first post the updated ones? Can I just "blindly" follow those instructions or do I need to fetch newer versions of anything?

Thanks!

1) AFAIK I am not 100% certain on but I do not think so.
2) http://www.freemyipod.org/wiki/Main_Page Just to be sure I linked you to the site. Here is the direct link on how to install, http://www.freemyipod.org/wiki/EmCORE_Installation

Sep 24, 2014 at 4:46 AM Post #3,139 of 3,645
picked up used iPod classic 160gb (late 2009) yesterday. Rockboxsed it. Saund is thinner than my Hifiman 602. but the build quality and battery life make up for it for me. I ordered LOD for it to pair it with my Arrow 4G. Also ordered replacement battery kit from iFixit.

Expecting to get better sound with the LOD to arrow 4G to shure se535. If its good enough for me. I plan on getting the iFlash mSata or CF/SD adapter and upgrade to anything between 256GB to 1TB (1TB mSata ssd drive works in classic).

Sep 24, 2014 at 5:05 AM Post #3,140 of 3,645
If I was that good with DIY skills, to be honest I would also hook up some kind of 500~ gb capacity in my IPC and use it forever. Also I would buy something like Duet to pair it and call it an end game setup.

Sep 24, 2014 at 5:17 AM Post #3,141 of 3,645
picked up used iPod classic 160gb (late 2009) yesterday. Rockboxsed it. Saund is thinner than my Hifiman 602. but the build quality and battery life make up for it for me. I ordered LOD for it to pair it with my Arrow 4G. Also ordered replacement battery kit from iFixit.

Expecting to get better sound with the LOD to arrow 4G to shure se535. If its good enough for me. I plan on getting the iFlash mSata or CF/SD adapter and upgrade to anything between 256GB to 1TB (1TB mSata ssd drive works in classic).

I'm interested to hear the outcome of this when you finish.

If I was that good with DIY skills, to be honest I would also hook up some kind of 500~ gb capacity in my IPC and use it forever. Also I would buy something like Duet to pair it and call it an end game setup.

I also have thought of doing this, but so far I'm content with the battery life and storage space. I know soon enough I will want a bigger SSD in there, but I have not got to that point.

As of my position right I would like to send out, through the LOD, to a DAC. AFAIK this is not possible with Rockbox. No? Resolved?

Sep 24, 2014 at 6:24 AM Post #3,142 of 3,645
I'm interested to hear the outcome of this when you finish.
I also have thought of doing this, but so far I'm content with the battery life and storage space. I know soon enough I will want a bigger SSD in there, but I have not got to that point.

As of my position right I would like to send out, through the LOD, to a DAC. AFAIK this is not possible with Rockbox. No? Resolved?

As far as I know, Rb'd IPC can't send digital signal, only analog. So you can hook it up to amp, but not dac/amp or pure dac.

Sep 24, 2014 at 8:00 AM Post #3,143 of 3,645

As far as I know, Rb'd IPC can't send digital signal, only analog. So you can hook it up to amp, but not dac/amp or pure dac.

Yeah that is what I figured still. I am using the FiiO E12, and it does the job well.  Just would be nice to pass through a dac/amp or pure dac some day.

Sep 24, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #3,144 of 3,645

Before I go hunting, do you have a link to guide about modding the Classic to use an mSATA drive?  With 500 GB @ $277, that is very tempting.

TIA.

Sep 24, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #3,145 of 3,645

Before I go hunting, do you have a link to guide about modding the Classic to use an mSATA drive?  With 500 GB @ $277, that is very tempting.

TIA.

I'm thinking bout going by this site http://www.tarkan.info/20140324/tutorials/teaser-the-1tb-ipod I don't think i'll go all the way to 1tb since i don't reallly need that much storage.

Sep 24, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #3,146 of 3,645
  I'm thinking bout going by this site http://www.tarkan.info/20140324/tutorials/teaser-the-1tb-ipod I don't think i'll go all the way to 1tb since i don't reallly need that much storage.

Thanks!  Yeah, the premium for jumping from 500 GB to 1 TB is a bit steep.  500 GB is a boatload anyway.

Sep 25, 2014 at 5:10 AM Post #3,147 of 3,645
Latest daily build might be a little more power efficient due to this patch: http://gerrit.rockbox.org/r/#/c/897/

Edit: unfortunately with this build it doesn't show on my pc when I connect to USB, have to use the fallback image for that again..

Sep 25, 2014 at 6:26 AM Post #3,148 of 3,645
  Latest daily build might be a little more power efficient due to this patch: http://gerrit.rockbox.org/r/#/c/897/

Edit: unfortunately with this build it doesn't show on my pc when I connect to USB, have to use the fallback image for that again..

Have you tried using the USBID patch along side?  The USBID patch should fix the usb detection issue.  You can find the patch here.

Quick question with the digital out with the iPod Classic.  Is this only with Rockbox, or as whole?

Sep 25, 2014 at 10:21 PM Post #3,149 of 3,645
Hi everyone, 

I would like to Rockbox my ipod 7th gen.  However, I could not load freemyipod.org on my browsers (Chrome, Firefox, IE) (See attached picture).  

Anyone with the same issue? 
Many Thanks :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back