Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Aug 15, 2014 at 6:05 AM Post #3,106 of 3,645
After 7 months of daily usage of Rockboxed ipod Classic 120GB with almost no problem, now I encountered an issue beyond my skills.
It periodically crashes in the startup - during the emCore boot.

This morning, I managed to get into the boot menu and deleted configuration for rockbox (because it was the only thing that I thought it could change something).
But since then the ipod remains shut off, only to blink every thirty seconds "eMCore [build number]" (like when booting), and then I hear a *click* sound from the inside and the ipod shuts itself off.
Can't get to it, basically.

Any suggestions?
EDIT: the more the better. you know how it is with us music addicts. my withdrawal is only starting now, hehe :)
EDIT2: obviously, I can't connect the device to PC with a cable as it just won't load it.
could I do some factory reset maybe?

Aug 15, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #3,108 of 3,645
  After 7 months of daily usage of Rockboxed ipod Classic 120GB with almost no problem, now I encountered an issue beyond my skills.
It periodically crashes in the startup - during the emCore boot.

This morning, I managed to get into the boot menu and deleted configuration for rockbox (because it was the only thing that I thought it could change something).
But since then the ipod remains shut off, only to blink every thirty seconds "eMCore [build number]" (like when booting), and then I hear a *click* sound from the inside and the ipod shuts itself off.
Can't get to it, basically.

Any suggestions?
EDIT: the more the better. you know how it is with us music addicts. my withdrawal is only starting now, hehe :)
EDIT2: obviously, I can't connect the device to PC with a cable as it just won't load it.
could I do some factory reset maybe?

Bummer.  Click sound = dying hard drive?  Hope not, but it seems ominous.

Aug 15, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #3,109 of 3,645
Fyi, it is really easy to swap out the hard drive change the battery while your in there. You could change all of it and reload the software in less than an hour if it was your first time. You could go solid state to and not have to worry about it again..

Aug 17, 2014 at 6:54 AM Post #3,110 of 3,645
Thanks for the responses guys! Here is how it followed with the ipod:
I couldn't event get to that DFU menu because the it crashed before those 12 seconds of holding the buttons, however, in the emcore boot menu, hit "Run Rockbox fallback image" and got it working again (all the settings seem reset but the data are untouched).
What does it do anyway?

Aug 26, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #3,111 of 3,645
I can't believe this, I JUST bought an X3.  It hasn't even arrived yet.. Now I find this thread  I have a 160 gb classic.  Since this thread is fairly old, do I still need to run emcore first? or, can I just install rockbox? 
Thanks

Aug 31, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #3,114 of 3,645
I made a build with g#897:

http://gerrit.rockbox.org/r/#/c/897/

This has been reported to work well, and should improve compatibility with disk mods and maybe improve battery life a little by more completely powering down the disk when not in use.

http://web.mit.edu/mgg6/www/rockbox6g_ata_patch.zip

(standard warning that although this has been tested it could corrupt your disk or whatever, don't use if you have critical unbacked up file stored on your ipod)  Would be interested to know if there are any major problems that aren't seen with reasonably current builds (from this summer at least).   

Sep 2, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #3,115 of 3,645
  I made a build with g#897:

http://gerrit.rockbox.org/r/#/c/897/

This has been reported to work well, and should improve compatibility with disk mods and maybe improve battery life a little by more completely powering down the disk when not in use.

http://web.mit.edu/mgg6/www/rockbox6g_ata_patch.zip

(standard warning that although this has been tested it could corrupt your disk or whatever, don't use if you have critical unbacked up file stored on your ipod)  Would be interested to know if there are any major problems that aren't seen with reasonably current builds (from this summer at least).   

I've been using a build I put together with that patch for the past couple weeks now on my iPod Classic 7g with the Tarkan CF adapter and a 128GB CF card.  So far things seem to be running fine.  I haven't noticed any major difference, but also haven't noticed any issues.

Sep 2, 2014 at 12:28 PM Post #3,119 of 3,645
You don't need to hold it that long.  Depending on the theme you are using it may show the playback status in the status bar.  On mine if I press the play/pause button it will show the pause icon at the top and if I hold that button for a couple seconds it will switch to the stop icon.

Sep 2, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #3,120 of 3,645
Installing Rockbox atm.  I have an iPod Classic 160 gb.  I am to the point where I have the rockbox logo on the iPod. But, when I run the "rockbox utility", I get "Error reading partition table - possibly not an Ipod"  Anyone have an idea of what I did wrong?
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back