Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Jul 22, 2014 at 5:47 AM Post #3,091 of 3,645
Some interesting activity:
http://www.freemyipod.org/wiki/Special:Code/freemyipod

I spoke with the devs, it's likely that the Classic will be fully integrated in the Rockbox Utility in the future, making the Emcore bootloader obsolete. This could also mean dual boot support and finally proper charge support.

Jul 22, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #3,092 of 3,645
  I've read about someone wanting to play Doom on the Classic a few pages back here. I found the cause of it getting stuck on loading and found a workaround for it. Seems like there is some timing functionality which Doom wants to use, but isn't implemented in the Classic-Version of Rockbox. However, you can use the timer which is used by the Rockbox-Emulators to get Doom running. That is what I did and Doom seems to be running just fine!

Since I've done this a year ago and don't have the source for my fixes anymore I can't upload then, but I still have that firmware on my iPod, so here is the fixed binary of the Doom-Plugin:

http://www.file-upload.net/download-8772851/doom.rock.html
(It's the smallest downloadbutton you can find in the middle of that site, the bigger ones are ads, don't be fooled!)

The file goes to ".rockbox\rocks\games" on your iPod.

Have fun, and please tell me if it works for you!

I have only now discovered your fixed binary and did what you wrote. Unfortunately, the game won't even start now, stating "Incompatible version".
Other games are working.
I still hope that someday I'll play Doom on my iPod. lol

Jul 23, 2014 at 1:49 AM Post #3,093 of 3,645
A few pages back I saw some discussion over whether or not a Rockboxed Classic works with Windows 8.1; after installing rockbox successfully (on 8.1, no issues) I found that I was unable to access it as a drive in explorer. I am, however, able to access it by booting into the Rockbox fallback image from EmCORE. For some reason windows sees this as an "Apple iPod Classic USB Device" instead of just an "Apple Mobile USB Device". Booting to the fallback image every time I want to access it isn't ideal, but it seems to work.

Jul 24, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #3,094 of 3,645
I had the same issue on Windows 7.
I discovered that there was due to ASUS Ai charger.
I Uninstalled it , rebooted windows and rockbox drive was recognized.
In your case the problem maybe due to another software.
In order to find it check the drivers used for Apple Mobile USB Device in the device manager .

Jul 24, 2014 at 10:06 AM Post #3,095 of 3,645
The latest changes on Emcore will solve that with the new disk mode and USB driver improvements. There's already some prospect patches on Rockbox that can help with that.

Jul 24, 2014 at 10:15 AM Post #3,096 of 3,645
"I spoke with the devs, it's likely that the Classic will be fully integrated in the Rockbox Utility in the future, making the Emcore bootloader obsolete. This could also mean dual boot support and finally proper charge support."

This would be glorious as I've been holding out!

Jul 24, 2014 at 10:30 PM Post #3,097 of 3,645
"I spoke with the devs, it's likely that the Classic will be fully integrated in the Rockbox Utility in the future, making the Emcore bootloader obsolete. This could also mean dual boot support and finally proper charge support."

This would be glorious as I've been holding out!

Hell yeah, it can't happen soon enough.

Jul 25, 2014 at 10:09 AM Post #3,098 of 3,645
  Some interesting activity:
http://www.freemyipod.org/wiki/Special:Code/freemyipod

I spoke with the devs, it's likely that the Classic will be fully integrated in the Rockbox Utility in the future, making the Emcore bootloader obsolete. This could also mean dual boot support and finally proper charge support.

This is great news indeed. It was a labor making Rockbox work on my iPod classic. But it doesn't work well on MacOSX. Can't make USB storage work which is a big problem with a non-removable storage of the iPod. Pretty soon I will have a trifecta  of Rockboxed devices (iPod Classic, DX50 and DX90)
L3000.gif

Jul 30, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #3,100 of 3,645
I gotta say, I'm really disliking the horrible shuffling. Why is it so hard to shuffle all tracks or all tracks by a certain artist. I can't figure out an easy way of doing this. I'm ready to go back to the original iPod based on this. Am I missing something?

Aug 2, 2014 at 2:06 AM Post #3,102 of 3,645
I gotta say, I'm really disliking the horrible shuffling. Why is it so hard to shuffle all tracks or all tracks by a certain artist. I can't figure out an easy way of doing this. I'm ready to go back to the original iPod based on this. Am I missing something?

You can shuffle in the playback settings or if you go into the database you can select the tracks already shuffled.

Aug 7, 2014 at 3:23 PM Post #3,104 of 3,645
Had rockbox on my ipod classic for a couple of days... ITS GREAT. So many more options and its so much quicker. 
etysmile.gif

I LOVE this theme (http://themes.rockbox.org/index.php?themeid=1962&target=ipodvideo), but wondered if you can edit it? I'd like it to display the time and album art. There is a huge white space where the album art would go, and its just nice to have the time at the top.

Quote:
Going back to the Apple software. Until I can successfully do a dual boot, no rockbox for me.
frown.gif

Just hold menu when a song is playing to toggle shuffle / repeat.

Aug 9, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #3,105 of 3,645
Heads up, the iTunes to 9.2.1 recommended to uninstall emcore on the first post and FreeMyiPod is unable to connect to Apple servers to download the original firmware to recover. The latest version works fine though.

(I had to recover my iPod after instability after I accidentally removed it before it fully ejected. I fully intend to reinstall rockbox)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back