Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Feb 3, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #2,911 of 3,645
Anybody find that it you try to use database>history>never played>all tracks, it never plays the song you select. I've tried with a few different builds from this year and they're all the same. Always plays a different track from what I select. And what does "dir buffer full" mean. Whenever I try to use most/recently played I get that message and a list of no songs.

Feb 4, 2014 at 2:11 AM Post #2,912 of 3,645
Okay, so... Mine is never seen by my PC. I've tried many things. What's the current best route for a Classic 160gb Fatty? Emcore and stuff, what do I need? Halp. I did it once, but I believe I used the wrong stuff because I rushed into it.

Feb 4, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #2,913 of 3,645
i've got the 160GB 7g classic Slim, and i had this problem, i installed Rockbox multiple times, on my 3rd time now for sure.
and today after holding te Menu and Center buttons it did the black screen but didn't come up on the computer. so i just ran the program "bootstrap_ipodclassic_itunes.exe" and it worked. copied the .ubi then let it install then installed the Jan 2 2012 build and it works fine except lags. enjoy hopefully it will help

Feb 6, 2014 at 9:19 AM Post #2,914 of 3,645
Hi im trying to restore my ipod classic 80g(rockboxed thru emcore) to apple stock firmware. I did the instructions, fire up itunes, connect the ipod thru usb then hold the menu and select button for 15secs or more, the display(usb logo on rockbox) just blurred. out until the display is not showing up. I waited for so long there's no prompt in itunes..
my itunes is updated. I believe that my pc should detect a dfu disk right? but there is no dfu disk detected.

Please help. My ipod is dead(again)

for quite sometime, it went to this state, after a week, it went back to life. I was thinkin it was a corrupted wmcore/rockbox firmware that causes this because the ipod is full charge but still doesnt turn on. So I tried to restore now to itunes, but to no luck, it just went dead again,

Feb 6, 2014 at 9:59 AM Post #2,915 of 3,645
EDIT: No you don't have to detect a DFU, it just needs to see the iPod disk drive, "iPOD CLASSIC" or something in My Computer. Rockbox'd Ipod Classic doesn't like Windows 8 so if you upgraded to it or the later you might not be able to get it working. Find a computer with Windows 7, it is your temporary solution. you'll factory reset the iPod there, and you will be able to sync your songs again at home with your computer.

Here's my humble guide hope it helps.
If you have the latest Rockbox it will not work probably because... the latest 2014 version - for me at least - makes the iPod invisible on computer when plugged in, on Windows 7 64-bit. Hold the Menu and select buttons until you go to the emCORE boot menu. Select "Tools" , click  "Run Rockbox fallback image" and copy the Settings, and download the "rockbox-ipodclassic-r31516-20120102" and extract the archive, so you copy the ".rockbox" archive's folder files to your ipod main directory, overwriting it. Then restart, run Rockbox. Now here's the part where it should work. Open iTunes , make sure your rockboxed iPod is on and connected to USB, so connect your iPod through USB to your computer, WAIT until it connects, it could be the reason for not working, THEN hold menu and select for long, so even when the emCORE menu and/or Apple logo shows up, keep holding it until you hear a click and see a black screen. Then release it immediately as soon as you see it. iTunes should detect the iPod and say 0 kb or something, don't worry, it says it needs to be recovered, let it recover, download the fixing tool etc. wait. Then it should be again Apple firmware. I  rockboxed my iPod Classic 160gb 7g 3 times so i hope this works for you.

If iTunes doesn't detect it,
You have to enable the iTunes Apple Mobile etc. services in Windows. Go to Start->Control panel->Administrative tools->Services-> and enable as "Automatic" services: Bonjour, Apple Mobile Service, iPod Service, right-click and turn them on, restart the computer. Then run iTunes FIRST (important!), THEN connect your iPod through USB. Do the reset as told and hope it works.

sorry for crappy English, hope it helps! :)

Feb 6, 2014 at 10:51 AM Post #2,916 of 3,645
EDIT: No you don't have to detect a DFU, it just needs to see the iPod disk drive, "iPOD CLASSIC" or something in My Computer. Rockbox'd Ipod Classic doesn't like Windows 8 so if you upgraded to it or the later you might not be able to get it working. Find a computer with Windows 7, it is your temporary solution. you'll factory reset the iPod there, and you will be able to sync your songs again at home with your computer.

Here's my humble guide hope it helps.
If you have the latest Rockbox it will not work probably because... the latest 2014 version - for me at least - makes the iPod invisible on computer when plugged in, on Windows 7 64-bit. Hold the Menu and select buttons until you go to the emCORE boot menu. Select "Tools" , click  "Run Rockbox fallback image" and copy the Settings, and download the "rockbox-ipodclassic-r31516-20120102" and extract the archive, so you copy the ".rockbox" archive's folder files to your ipod main directory, overwriting it. Then restart, run Rockbox. Now here's the part where it should work. Open iTunes , make sure your rockboxed iPod is on and connected to USB, so connect your iPod through USB to your computer, WAIT until it connects, it could be the reason for not working, THEN hold menu and select for long, so even when the emCORE menu and/or Apple logo shows up, keep holding it until you hear a click and see a black screen. Then release it immediately as soon as you see it. iTunes should detect the iPod and say 0 kb or something, don't worry, it says it needs to be recovered, let it recover, download the fixing tool etc. wait. Then it should be again Apple firmware. I  rockboxed my iPod Classic 160gb 7g 3 times so i hope this works for you.

If iTunes doesn't detect it,
You have to enable the iTunes Apple Mobile etc. services in Windows. Go to Start->Control panel->Administrative tools->Services-> and enable as "Automatic" services: Bonjour, Apple Mobile Service, iPod Service, right-click and turn them on, restart the computer. Then run iTunes FIRST (important!), THEN connect your iPod through USB. Do the reset as told and hope it works.

sorry for crappy English, hope it helps! :)

I can't seem to proceed in this steps because my ipod is virtually dead (black) unresponsive to resetting etc. I will have to wait again for quite somtime to make my ipod alive again. this already happened to me 3rd time now

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feb 6, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #2,917 of 3,645
hi could someone help out, ive followed the instructions installed emcore then when it boots for the first time and i choose rockbox i get the 'ipod failed trying fall back image' i guess thats normall as rocbox isnt installed yet
but then i wait and get a white panic screen saying  ATA: error 80000000 while reading BBT (sector 0, co unit 1)

ive tried a couple of times but it still happens, ive installed Tarkans iflash and using a sdxc card and that seems all ok so dont know if that has anything to do with it.

Feb 6, 2014 at 8:48 PM Post #2,918 of 3,645
hi could someone help out, ive followed the instructions installed emcore then when it boots for the first time and i choose rockbox i get the 'ipod failed trying fall back image' i guess thats normall as rocbox isnt installed yet
but then i wait and get a white panic screen saying  ATA: error 80000000 while reading BBT (sector 0, co unit 1)

ive tried a couple of times but it still happens, ive installed Tarkans iflash and using a sdxc card and that seems all ok so dont know if that has anything to do with it.

This happens to me too after following the instructions from emcore and loaded the latest version. After several tries and fiddling around, I manage to make it working. You may follow this buy YMMV.

I guess you are currently on r859 of emcore.

1. Download the oldest emcore you can find in their page. Actually download all UBI files leading up to r859.

2. Install the oldest version. If this is successful it will complain that you have an incompatible rockbox version.

3. Install each version of emcore leading to r859 then reinstall rockbox.

Along the way you may encounter Issues with your PC unable to detect the mounted disk on your iPod. Just keep plugging and unplugging it till it is detected.

Feb 7, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #2,919 of 3,645
This happens to me too after following the instructions from emcore and loaded the latest version. After several tries and fiddling around, I manage to make it working. You may follow this buy YMMV.

I guess you are currently on r859 of emcore.

1. Download the oldest emcore you can find in their page. Actually download all UBI files leading up to r859.

2. Install the oldest version. If this is successful it will complain that you have an incompatible rockbox version.

3. Install each version of emcore leading to r859 then reinstall rockbox.

Along the way you may encounter Issues with your PC unable to detect the mounted disk on your iPod. Just keep plugging and unplugging it till it is detected.

thanks for that headwhacker im going to try this, the earliest emcore is emCORE r674,
so are you saying install this then upgrade to the next emCore try and run rockbox and if it dosent work then up grade emcore again and keep going to see if a version of emCore will work with rockbox.

or install in earliest version of emCore and then upgrade through all versions up to latest r859 then try install rockbox?

Feb 7, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #2,920 of 3,645
  thanks for that headwhacker im going to try this, the earliest emcore is emCORE r674,
so are you saying install this then upgrade to the next emCore try and run rockbox and if it dosent work then up grade emcore again and keep going to see if a version of emCore will work with rockbox.

or install in earliest version of emCore and then upgrade through all versions up to latest r859 then try install rockbox?

I was under the impression that emCORE r859 is the oldest version that can be used, and that's why it's supplied/referenced.  I could be wrong, of course.  I'm running the latest without issue, but I did start with r859 and upgraded three or four times.  Never had to start from scratch.

Hope you get it working.

Feb 7, 2014 at 2:21 PM Post #2,921 of 3,645

What operating system are you using? Windows 8 is problematic when istalling EMCore. I had to use a friend's Win 7 machine.

Feb 7, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #2,922 of 3,645

I was under the impression that emCORE r859 is the oldest version that can be used, and that's why it's supplied/referenced.  I could be wrong, of course.  I'm running the latest without issue, but I did start with r859 and upgraded three or four times.  Never had to start from scratch.

Hope you get it working.

yeah i hope so too, only really got my ipod sorted so i could use rockbox

looks to me like its the latest from here http://www.freemyipod.org/wiki/EmCORE_Releases
where/how are you updating the r859

What operating system are you using? Windows 8 is problematic when istalling EMCore. I had to use a friend's Win 7 machine.

im on 7 as well 64bit, im at the moment trying to get the virtual machine xp mode working again so i can try in there as well

Feb 7, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #2,923 of 3,645
  yeah i hope so too, only really got my ipod sorted so i could use rockbox

looks to me like its the latest from here http://www.freemyipod.org/wiki/EmCORE_Releases
where/how are you updating the r859

I was getting them from here
builds.freemyipod.org/emcore-installer/target/ipodclassic/
but now it's listed as Forbidden.  Going to
builds.freemyipod.org
agreeing to the warning and then listing the builds does not show a working build for the iPod Classic.  IIRC, I'm using r880.

Feb 7, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #2,924 of 3,645

I was getting them from here
builds.freemyipod.org/emcore-installer/target/ipodclassic/
but now it's listed as Forbidden.  Going to
builds.freemyipod.org
agreeing to the warning and then listing the builds does not show a working build for the iPod Classic.  IIRC, I'm using r880.

dont seem to be able to download any .ubi from builds.freemyipod.org theres stuff on there but no .ubi that i can see

Feb 7, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #2,925 of 3,645

im on 7 as well 64bit, im at the moment trying to get the virtual machine xp mode working again so i can try in there as well

Hmm. I used virtual XP, but that didn't solve my problem. Try the installation from another machine if you can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back