Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
May 2, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #737 of 3,645
 Wow thanks man! That worked!! A lot smoother with only few gaps.. I was very stupid to turn it off, I thought I could save some extra battery life:wink:
Quote:

Have you enabled Directory Cache?

Settings>General Settings>System>Disc...

May 2, 2012 at 11:24 PM Post #739 of 3,645
Quote:
Good to hear! I always assumed it was simply being downsampled...

Hi

i just read 50 pages here on this RB and my eyes burn lol

i still see no definitive answer on whether a 24/96 is being downsampled or not in
JRoMan s case ?

And if so , to what ?

For me installing rockbox would be a deal , if it supported 24/96 ,because i believe , as apple told me today . my Ipod classic 160 GB will play
24/48 as it is untouched , and the main reason i would install RB is if it would do better than 24/48 .In my reasonable and semi sensible
mind its obv. its down to Apples hardware , not software , but im always so ever hopeful

If not able to support 24/96 , are there any other portable devices that do support such , even 24/192 would be a dream

Any other gear/setup would have to work with my SR 71B , as i bought that recently from ray and some nice cables from Drew

Based on GREAT advice i read here , so cheers for that

May 3, 2012 at 1:51 PM Post #742 of 3,645
Hi ya mates

Being kinda new to this game , ive JUST now read some poo news about our ipod
(and classics) that seems to announce a waste of our time as even seminal audiophiles

It was sad news to me to read , that after all my efforts(and money spent) that not only
will my/any ipod not play 24/96 , but after my getting over that ,and downsampling
to 24/48 , that its still not playing 24/48 , its again downsampling to 16/44 ,this is apparently
a limitation of the sound chip in the iPod can output only to 16/44 . And the ipods limited
frequency response of 20-20,000Hz

Im not sure why apple touts its classics capabilities of 24 bit then , seems like a classic
snake oil salesman trick , IF its true

What good is it if it only degrades all your efforts from the go .

Am i able to bypass this limitation via the LOD to my SR71B ? Or will i also need a DAC ,Ie
Burston(i wish) , Rex or algorythm . As it is i was under the understanding via LOD to
sr71b i was bypassing the lower quality ipod workings , and ipod was just a storeage device

can someone school me quite a bit more on this please

Cheers

May 3, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #743 of 3,645
The Classic uses the Cirrus Logic CS42L55 chip. According to the specs, it can output up to 24/48:

http://www.cirrus.com/en/pubs/proDatasheet/CS42L55_F1.pdf

Quote:
Hi ya mates

Being kinda new to this game , ive JUST now read some poo news about our ipod
(and classics) that seems to announce a waste of our time as even seminal audiophiles

It was sad news to me to read , that after all my efforts(and money spent) that not only
will my/any ipod not play 24/96 , but after my getting over that ,and downsampling
to 24/48 , that its still not playing 24/48 , its again downsampling to 16/44 ,this is apparently
a limitation of the sound chip in the iPod can output only to 16/44 . And the ipods limited
frequency response of 20-20,000Hz

Im not sure why apple touts its classics capabilities of 24 bit then , seems like a classic
snake oil salesman trick , IF its true

What good is it if it only degrades all your efforts from the go .

Am i able to bypass this limitation via the LOD to my SR71B ? Or will i also need a DAC ,Ie
Burston(i wish) , Rex or algorythm . As it is i was under the understanding via LOD to
sr71b i was bypassing the lower quality ipod workings , and ipod was just a storeage device

can someone school me quite a bit more on this please

Cheers

May 3, 2012 at 7:19 PM Post #747 of 3,645
Alas apple may have been misleading or ill informed on their own product ?

Reading http://www.apple.com/ipodclassic/specs.html , i see the Frequency response: 20Hz to 20,000Hz

And am otherwise informed , that no matter what the cirrus chip states it can do , the classic
indeed will not do , due to the limit in Frequency response: 20Hz to 20,000Hz

Not understanding , yet , how all this works , is indeed now a fact , if my 24/48 files are playing
on my classic , due to Frequency response: 20Hz to 20,000Hz being such , its being
downsampled to cdda/16-44 quality ?

If this is a fact , will adding a dac to my setup(sr71b , HD800s) like Rex or algorhythm , by pass classics
limits and play these files unhampered , even up to 192 possibly ?

i admit being real confused , one apple link said classic plays 24 bit , but another sez thats misleading because
its downsampling to 16/44

This seems to be the place to go for straight answers ,as im pleased with all advice i got when i purchased
all my gear thus far

Cheers

May 3, 2012 at 7:46 PM Post #748 of 3,645
DAPs that can put out 24/48 are hard to come by, and usually expensive. As I understand it, to get that quality from your iPod you need something like a CLAS. They managed to get the necessary permissions from Apple to build a device that could bypass the DAC on their products and process data separately (rendering the device, effectively, a large hard-drive)...

Either that or you can shell out for a DX100 or an HM-801 :)....I personally take comfort in the fact that CDs are 16/44...how much more could I take until my head explodes in pure audio bliss? How much am I going to shell out to hear just one more subtle nuance in my favorite albums?

May 3, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #749 of 3,645
Aha

Thanks for the quick reply mate

Yes ive considered the algorhythm for a while now

BUT , am caught up between two things i want/need to do ,and told i
need two seperate devices ,so im trying to decide which task is
most important to me

1. I want the solo (unless u can advise another even as a suggestion/alternative) to
get true digital hi res from my ipod ( tho ipod is still limited to 24/48 even to simply
use ipod as storage simply ? )

2. The ipod being limited in space ( yes i find 160 Gb limiting lol ) , i have a few
     external hdds hooked into my laptop , and to get the true hi res output i
      want ,i believe ill need something like a kingrex
http://audiooasis.com/blog/2012/3/23/king-rex-ud384-dac-32bit384khz-usb-dac-new.html

This will do the trick for my laptop /pc scenario only im told . it will not do what the solo
does , as it seems you suggested they were the only ones who have apples permission
to pass their dac ? Am i correct ?

If i could get one device to do both tasks id be a happy pig in the mud lol .

Thing is with the rex , its kinda in the lead a bit , as it will not be limited to 24/48 , look at it
it does up to 32 bit /384 Khz , LOL , your ears may explode matie .At my age maybe
i wont be alive long enought to ever hear those 32 bit sounds . Tho im told there is some
swiss site / 2L or something that has such files for sale/download . i lost the name and
the link right now . Sorry

cheers

May 3, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #750 of 3,645
Aaaah...I see...I've never heard of the CLAS being shared between a portable and a laptop setup...actually haven't seen it used outside of portable...Hmmmm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back