Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Nov 25, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #3,406 of 3,645
  ...perhaps I could use the shortcut file to view the graphical EQ curve. (When showing off my rig to friends and peers, I like to show them the extreme EQ curves.) What text should I enter into the shortcut file to view the graphical EQ directly? Or maybe, instead, I'd prefer the shortcut just to take me one menu out from there -- just to the equalizer settings menu. This way, it's a lot easier to view the current settings than to navigate through all those settings menus.

I just now played around with some things in Rockbox, tried different ways of writing the code in the shortcuts.txt file, and re-read parts of the Rockbox online manual, and it looks like Rockbox doesn't give me the option to jump directly to certain menus if there isn't a direct numeric value setting for that particular menu.

But I was able to write the shortcut file to allow me to jump directly to the balance, brightness, and EQ precut menus, since those do have direct numeric values that can be set. So I wrote my shortcuts.txt file (which I inserted into the .rockbox folder) with the following text:

[shortcut]
type: setting
data: balance
name: Balance

[shortcut]
data: brightness
name: Brightness

[shortcut]
type:setting
data: eq precut
name: EQ precut

So on the main menu, now, I can go to the "Shortcuts" option and find those three settings right there, which is a lot more convenient. But I still like having my simplified "Screen Brightness" folder in the Files menu, though, for even more convenience!

Personally, my Files menu has 4 main folders now:

EQ presets 1
EQ presets Cayin C5
Joe's Music Collection
Screen Brightness

Works great.... 
wink_face.gif

Nov 25, 2015 at 3:31 PM Post #3,407 of 3,645

What text should I enter into the shortcut file to view the graphical EQ directly? Or maybe, instead, I'd prefer the shortcut just to take me one menu out from there -- just to the equalizer settings menu. This way, it's a lot easier to view the current settings than to navigate through all those settings menus.

From what I could find online, it seems that you can't peg directly to the Graphical EQ menu to the shortcuts.txt functionality. You would have to go the long path by pressing: Settings > Sound Settings > Equalizer > Graphical EQ.

Nov 26, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #3,408 of 3,645

Hi ThinWalls, what media do you have for the 240Gb? Is it a Toshiba hdd, an SD card (e.g. PNY Extreme Performance 256Gb) or an MSata, or others?

Toshiba drive.  No idea why it doesn't like the bootloader, would have thought it would be no different from the 160gb drive.  Maybe something went wrong when installing this one or maybe the drive is actually failing (though it was working with emcore before).  It freezes on 'executing' step, and has to be rebooted repeatedly before it will start up, and even then sometimes has a PANIC error.

Still wondering if there's any way to tell what the underlying original firmware of an ipod is, after its been rockboxed, without having to restore and reformat it (as I don't know what the original firmware version of my main ipod was, and its now rockboxed and fully loaded up)

Nov 26, 2015 at 12:30 PM Post #3,409 of 3,645

Still wondering if there's any way to tell what the underlying original firmware of an ipod is, after its been rockboxed, without having to restore and reformat it (as I don't know what the original firmware version of my main ipod was, and its now rockboxed and fully loaded up)

I think that if you can open the iPod you can replace the filled-up hard drive with another hard drive or Tarkan+SD/CF, restore with iTunes on the new hard-drive and see what Apple OS version installs. Then you can re-install the filled-up hard drive back and proceed accordingly.

Nov 26, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #3,410 of 3,645
  I just created some simple screen-brightness presets for Rockbox that you can download and use, which can make your Rockboxed life a little easier. No need to navigate through all those complex settings menus anymore to change the screen brightness.

Just click this link (for my topic-thread post about it here on Head-Fi), and give these new presets a try! 
gs1000.gif

Nice to see, and thank you for your efforts! :)

It's cool to see how many different ways Rockbox can be customized. For the brightness settings I've used the 'quickscreens': go to the brightness setting in the LCD Settings, hold the select button, assign it to both the 'Left' and 'Right' quickscreen item. Now you can adjust the brightness from basically any screen/menu within Rockbox by holding the 'menu' button for one second and then pressing left or right. (I've chosen not to assign brightness to 'top' and 'bottom' quickscreen item, as holding Play/Down in the quickscreen will still shut down the iPod :wink:

Nov 26, 2015 at 10:07 PM Post #3,411 of 3,645
  For the brightness settings I've used the 'quickscreens': go to the brightness setting in the LCD Settings, hold the select button, assign it to both the 'Left' and 'Right' quickscreen item. Now you can adjust the brightness from basically any screen/menu within Rockbox by holding the 'menu' button for one second and then pressing left or right. (I've chosen not to assign brightness to 'top' and 'bottom' quickscreen item, as holding Play/Down in the quickscreen will still shut down the iPod :wink:

Wow, r100,...you're da man! This works better than all those other methods!

I've gone ahead and assigned the brightness to both the top and the bottom Quickscreen items. I can still press and hold the "down" (play) button in this menu to reduce the brightness by as much as 40 increments without it shutting down the iPod, so it works great.

I've actually gone ahead and deleted my screen brightness presets from my Files menu, and have removed the brightness selection from my Shortcuts menu as well! My shortcuts.txt file now reads:

[shortcut]
type:setting
data: eq precut
name: EQ precut

[shortcut]
data: balance
name: Balance

I put the EQ precut icon on top, because I may want to look at what level it's set at (out of curiosity) much more often than needing to adjust the balance. (There's only a small handful of songs where I need to adjust the balance.) But to adjust the EQ precut, I'll always use my personalized precut presets, located in every folder within my big EQ preset directories! It's more convenient that way -- as I usually do this while changing EQ presets.

Thanks again, r100!

Nov 26, 2015 at 10:27 PM Post #3,412 of 3,645
  I've gone ahead and assigned the brightness to both the top and the bottom Quickscreen items. I can still press and hold the "down" (play) button in this menu to reduce the brightness by as much as 40 increments without it shutting down the iPod, so it works great.

Well, I just realized I could reassign the "repeat" and "shuffle" options to the top and bottom buttons (in the Quickscreen) by going to the Playback Settings menu and pressing and holding the select button on those. So now, I reassigned the brightness controls to the left and right buttons in the Quickscreen, instead. No need to worry about accidental shutdowns anymore....

Nov 27, 2015 at 8:15 AM Post #3,413 of 3,645
Hi all,
Supporting 2.0.5 is a matter of adding a single line of code in http://gerrit.rockbox.org/r/#/c/1221/3/rbutil/mk6gboot/dualboot/dualboot.c between line 111 and 112. But we need someone with an iPod which has this specific version installed, who can join our IRC channel #freemyipod, so we can send them instructions how to obtain the "hash" value we need for the installer. Is is a safe process for the iPod, it involves running a piece of code on it, so we can take note of the signature bytes.

Dec 1, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #3,414 of 3,645
  Hi all,
Supporting 2.0.5 is a matter of adding a single line of code in http://gerrit.rockbox.org/r/#/c/1221/3/rbutil/mk6gboot/dualboot/dualboot.c between line 111 and 112. But we need someone with an iPod which has this specific version installed, who can join our IRC channel #freemyipod, so we can send them instructions how to obtain the "hash" value we need for the installer. Is is a safe process for the iPod, it involves running a piece of code on it, so we can take note of the signature bytes.

Hey - I PM'd a few days ago but I'm willing to help out. let me know what we can do to get this going. :) 

Dec 2, 2015 at 8:23 PM Post #3,415 of 3,645
I'm very excited to tell you, that the first release of the bootloader and Rockbox Utility installation is on the way! While we're making final touches, here's a sneak peek of what's coming:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZSqqpA4sHI
Support for 2.0.5 has been added, but not tested.
The installation files should be available for testing tomorrow, or possibly earlier.

Dec 3, 2015 at 12:10 AM Post #3,416 of 3,645
  I'm very excited to tell you, that the first release of the bootloader and Rockbox Utility installation is on the way! While we're making final touches, here's a sneak peek of what's coming:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZSqqpA4sHI
Support for 2.0.5 has been added, but not tested.
The installation files should be available for testing tomorrow, or possibly earlier.

Ooh, I like.  Further down the road, though, how much more work is there until the patchset is forked back into the main release line?

Dec 3, 2015 at 6:47 AM Post #3,417 of 3,645
  Ooh, I like.  Further down the road, though, how much more work is there until the patchset is forked back into the main release line?

The patches are made in a way so they can be merged with the current (development) version of Rockbox. But since the last official Rockbox release was on 2013-03-05, it's not clear if a new one is coming soon. The development versions should work fine of course.

Dec 3, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #3,419 of 3,645
  The patches are made in a way so they can be merged with the current (development) version of Rockbox. But since the last official Rockbox release was on 2013-03-05, it's not clear if a new one is coming soon. The development versions should work fine of course.

Looking forward to giving it a try on my 2.05 ipod. Where will this be posted once it's available?

Dec 3, 2015 at 8:08 PM Post #3,420 of 3,645

Looking forward to giving it a try on my 2.05 ipod. Where will this be posted once it's available?

Right here.

And ... it is now available! But please note that it's a beta software. Always make backups of the data on the iPod before performing such modifications.

The install process is almost the same as in the video I posted yesterday. Please, watch it before starting.
Also, please read the following file: README.RockboxUtility.txt

Then, you are ready to start! Here's a basic walkthrough:
1. You need an iPod Classic in stock condition (restored with iTunes, no emCORE installed).
2. Download the installer: RockboxBootloaderInstaller_iPodClassic_v4.exe (or RockboxBootloaderInstaller_iPodClassic_v4.zip if you prefer extracting the archive manually).
3. Start RockboxUtility.exe (you need administrative privileges).
4. The configuration screen should open. Mark Show disabled targets.
5. Plug your iPod, wait until it is detected, then press Autodetect. In case it doesn't detect it, select the mountpoint manually, then choose the iPod model: Apple -> Ipod Classic (6th gen)
6. Choose Bootloader and Rockbox, optionally install the font pack, themes of your choice and the game files.
7. Start the installation. Disregards the message which says that bootloader is already installed - it has no way to detect this at the moment. Just click Yes in order to continue.
8. Follow the instructions on your computer and on the iPod screen.

Enjoy!

You have installed the dual-boot bootloader and a patched version of Rockbox, which includes Gerrit patches #1219, #1220 and #1221.

Basic operation of the bootloader is described at the Dual boot section of README.mk6gboot.txt

Huge thanks to:
- prof_wolfff (Cástor Muñoz) for creating this dual-boot bootloader and making it possible to install it using Rockbox Utility
- TheSeven (Michael Sparmann) for creating emCORE, porting Rockbox to iPod Nano 2G and iPod Classic
- the freemyipod/linux4nano team, for finding the exploit which allows installing custom firmware on the iPods
- everyone of the Rockbox team, for creating an excellent open-source music player firmware
- you, for testing the software

P.S.
Source code of the v4 build is available here: http://gerrit.rockbox.org/r/#/c/1221/4

Users who are viewing this thread

Back