Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Oct 11, 2011 at 9:55 AM Post #317 of 3,645
I don't use Rockbox, but it's not uncommon for Rockboxers to have drastically lower battery life, especially since you guys usually use FLAC, which causes the iPod to use way more battery life per song because the harddisk keeps spinning throughout the whole song.

Oct 16, 2011 at 11:20 PM Post #318 of 3,645

Quote:
Guys I'm getiing 8hrs of running time. What's it like fr u guys?
Is 8 hrs considered bad? Read the iPod classic tech spec it says 36hrs of playtime?
basshead.gif

This is normal for this release because the cpu is constantly running at 100%. I got about 12hours using 256 ogg.

I'm now using the stock firmware and get nearly three times that with lame v0 mp3.

Quote:
I don't use Rockbox, but it's not uncommon for Rockboxers to have drastically lower battery life, especially since you guys usually use FLAC, which causes the iPod to use way more battery life per song because the harddisk keeps spinning throughout the whole song.

Rockbox sometimes uses more battery because it takes time for the firmware to mature enough to use the hardware properly. Lossless contributes to higher battery usage but not nearly as much as things like cpu scaling.

Oct 18, 2011 at 5:43 AM Post #319 of 3,645
I have a 80 GB iPod Classic, I installed rockbox, I've been using it for 6 months, but now I have decided to get back to the original firmware.
My rockboxed ipod tends to freeze too often while I'm listening to some music, and when it freezes the songs falls in a very short loop. It's so annoying and there's no way to solve it other than resetting the device. Then you have to search the file you were listening to and play it again (if you use "resume playback" feature, the ipod always resumes playing an earlier song and is very likely to fall in loop again in a very few minutes).
I like the software, I installed it in an ipod Nano 1st gen., it always worked fine there and I'll keep on using it on that device (it can play videos, too!), but with the iPod Classic Rockbox is still too immature.
Furthermore, the freemyipod site concerning the iPod Classic hasn't been updated with new releases (the last one was made in April 2011): this makes me think that the development of Rockbox software for iPod Classic could have been abandoned by the Rockbox team.

Oct 27, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #320 of 3,645
Hi
I just installed Emcore with Rockbox on my Classic 6G - 160Gb.
Maybe I'm dumb, but i can't make my PC (W7-64b) recognize the Ipod as hard drive.
What am I doing wrong?
Any tips for me?
Also, Is there a way to return to my classic ipod original firmware?

Thx for Help

Oct 27, 2011 at 5:36 PM Post #321 of 3,645

Quote:
I think his home stereo is swapped wired as well by mistake. Coz i'm back again into rockbox and still finding the same issue of stereo swap.

Definitely not swapped on the stereo too...I used the standard instructions from freemyipod as well....odd. I'll look around for a left-channel only track, or create one using Audacity, and see if I get your results.

Oct 27, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #322 of 3,645
man i hate how theres been no progress since like june. whats up with that.....

Oct 28, 2011 at 5:33 AM Post #325 of 3,645
Im loving it on my iPod Video 5.5 but I removed it on my Classic

Nov 11, 2011 at 4:55 PM Post #326 of 3,645
I'm thinking of getting a 160GB Classic to put rockbox on but would like to know how it works with docks first. I would use it with my car stereo (Sony DSX100) which has a connector just for iPods. I would also maybe use it with a CD player dock. Does anybody know rockbox connects to either of those?

I might just have to put up with iTunes 
frown.gif
  I'll just put it inside a virtual machine, inside of another virtual machine and then maybe my computer will be safe...

Nov 12, 2011 at 12:50 PM Post #327 of 3,645

Quote:
I'm thinking of getting a 160GB Classic to put rockbox on but would like to know how it works with docks first. I would use it with my car stereo (Sony DSX100) which has a connector just for iPods. I would also maybe use it with a CD player dock. Does anybody know rockbox connects to either of those?

I might just have to put up with iTunes 
frown.gif
  I'll just put it inside a virtual machine, inside of another virtual machine and then maybe my computer will be safe...

Safe? Safe from what?
confused_face_2.gif

Nov 12, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #329 of 3,645
Itunes installs so much random bullcrap, plus its purposely coded like crap so that people are tempted to just buy an apple computer as their next machine. I got an ipod because disk mode is enabled, so it has full linux sync support.

Also, rockbox is still unstable for ipod classic. I dont know why people insist on installing it. Accessories have shoddy support, battery life is nowhere near what it is on stock fw, and there is no option to dual boot. Its been this way since june, and no one is actually working on it. I'm pretty sure the main dude who was undertaking the project is too busy for it right now.

Nov 13, 2011 at 1:53 PM Post #330 of 3,645

Quote:
Itunes installs so much random bullcrap, plus its purposely coded like crap so that people are tempted to just buy an apple computer as their next machine. I got an ipod because disk mode is enabled, so it has full linux sync support.
Also, rockbox is still unstable for ipod classic. I dont know why people insist on installing it. Accessories have shoddy support, battery life is nowhere near what it is on stock fw, and there is no option to dual boot. Its been this way since june, and no one is actually working on it. I'm pretty sure the main dude who was undertaking the project is too busy for it right now.

The last svn-announce code i had, was from october 25th of this year. if the code was not being modified since June, why then would code be changed and mailed on October 25th?

Edit:The above is pertaining to freemyipod.com, not Rockbox directly. But Rockbox, i bet is dependant on the freemyipod project.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back