Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Oct 23, 2012 at 10:52 PM Post #1,696 of 3,645
Quote:
I recently bought a simple LOD for my rockbox 7th gen ipod. And the sq seems to be much better when paired with my stereo receiver compared to the headphone out. I was sceptical about this before...

However I thoughed that I still would be able to change the (digital) volume with the clickwheel when music is going over the line out. However as it seems the volume cannot be adjusted with the clickwheel when using the lod.

I can only change the precut to change the volume, which is kinda inconvenient. However some people report to be able to change the volume over the lod with the clickwheel.

So I was wondering whether you guys know if there is a option, fix or older firmware that I can use; That will enable me to use the clickwheel to adjust the lod volume?

The output of the LOD is a line level/line out signal, meaning it is unamped, so you need to control the volume with the device amplifying the signal (here this would be the stereo receiver). It sounds better because it's not being double amped (i.e. amped out of the iPod then amped again by the receiver).

Oct 24, 2012 at 2:54 AM Post #1,697 of 3,645
I recently listened to an original firmware iPod classic and then a rockbox-ed one, using the same headphone.

And I clearly noticed that there's sound difference. I didn't EQ anyone of them. But for crossfeeds and other stuffs, I'm not sure. I just listened to it after rockbox installation.

File in original firmware is ALAC converted with dBpoweramp from FLAC/WAV. File in rockbox is the original copy of FLAC/WAV

Rockbox can change sound quality so obviously?

Oct 24, 2012 at 5:26 AM Post #1,699 of 3,645
Quote:
I recently bought a simple LOD for my rockbox 7th gen ipod. And the sq seems to be much better when paired with my stereo receiver compared to the headphone out. I was sceptical about this before...

However I thoughed that I still would be able to change the (digital) volume with the clickwheel when music is going over the line out. However as it seems the volume cannot be adjusted with the clickwheel when using the lod.

I can only change the precut to change the volume, which is kinda inconvenient. However some people report to be able to change the volume over the lod with the clickwheel.

So I was wondering whether you guys know if there is a option, fix or older firmware that I can use; That will enable me to use the clickwheel to adjust the lod volume?

The line-out signal is fixed-level - And the ipod classic doesn't have digital volume-control btw, so no bit-reduction ! 
Quote:
I recently listened to an original firmware iPod classic and then a rockbox-ed one, using the same headphone.

And I clearly noticed that there's sound difference. I didn't EQ anyone of them. But for crossfeeds and other stuffs, I'm not sure. I just listened to it after rockbox installation.

File in original firmware is ALAC converted with dBpoweramp from FLAC/WAV. File in rockbox is the original copy of FLAC/WAV

Rockbox can change sound quality so obviously?

If you have a volume-limited ipod (EU-version) then YES, it does sound better with rockbox, because the volume-limit is removed and your phones get the juice they need to sound their best .
Quote:
And I got my left-right channel inverted! Ohmai!

You mean so they are right now ?
This is a bug in some older versions, it should be fixed by now ??

Oct 24, 2012 at 7:41 AM Post #1,700 of 3,645
Quote:
The line-out signal is fixed-level - And the ipod classic doesn't have digital volume-control btw, so no bit-reduction ! 
If you have a volume-limited ipod (EU-version) then YES, it does sound better with rockbox, because the volume-limit is removed and your phones get the juice they need to sound their best .
You mean so they are right now ?
This is a bug in some older versions, it should be fixed by now ??

Sorry pal, didn't notice there's a new update on Rockbox's official website. Now downloading. Was following the guide word-by-word that i didn't realize there's newer version until i googled the issues. Besides, hopefully the new version will solve the issue of unable to view chinese characters. *fingers crossed*

Oct 24, 2012 at 11:36 AM Post #1,701 of 3,645
Quote:
Was following the guide word-by-word that i didn't realize there's newer version until i googled the issues

It's always a good idea to follow "The Guide" to the letter when firmware-flashing is involved ..

(Bonus-points for googling the issue, the relevant info is, sadly, fragmented across several websites, mostly :
Rockbox.org, freemyipod.org and HeadFi's 'It's happening thread' .)

You can download the latest build for iPod Classic from here :
http://haxx.rockbox.org/daily/ipodclassic/

The direct download-link to the daily-build is :
http://haxx.rockbox.org/daily/ipodclassic/rockbox-ipodclassic.zip

Oct 24, 2012 at 5:11 PM Post #1,702 of 3,645
Today I bought a used (but still in very good condition) Classic 3G 160GB. Since I still have my old 1G 80GB I can compare them.
The newer Classic has a brighter screen and the colours are a little more vivid. In sound quality I couldn't really hear a difference.
The HDD is more quiet, but that's mostly because of the difference in age and total power on hours. Funny thing is that the 1G Classic has the faster hard drive (sequential write, 15.5 vs 13.3MB/s) incorrect, this was with a not so stable build, it's actually 14.5MB/s read, 16MB/s write for the 1G and for the 3G 20.5MB/s read and 17.5MB/s write (all sequential speeds).

Unfortunately, my new Classic has probably got the cpu of one of the 'less good' batches, because with aroldans builds (950mV cpu core) it freezes a lot, when I use the automated builds (1050mV cpu core) it works fine. Hope that this doesn't affect battery life too much, but there's only one way to find out
o2smile.gif

Oct 24, 2012 at 7:28 PM Post #1,703 of 3,645
I tried the newer firmware on rockbox ipod classic, and then the magic "sound quality" has gone (or has my brain adapted to it so quickly?).

I wonder what the previous sound setting was. It was kinda magical that the soundstage is exceptionally wide, as well as more instruments are clearly heard.

Oct 24, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #1,704 of 3,645
Quote:

Nope, LOD bypasses the internal amp on the iPod so there is no way to use the clickwheel to adjust volume.

Oct 25, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #1,705 of 3,645
Any thoughts on how to properly charge the battery with Rockbox installed?
This page states that: A portable device should be turned off while charging. This allows the battery to reach the threshold voltage unhindered and reflects the correct saturation current responsible to terminate the charge. A parasitic load confuses the charger.

If you first connect the charger you can turn off the iPod right after it. But is it then possible to overcharge the (lithium-ion polymer) battery? Or does the hardware take care of the charging level and makes it stop when a full charge is reached?

I usually let it charge as slow as possible, so 500mA or 750mA. And once every two months I let my Classic run out of battery and then fully charge it again. It is supposed to prolong the life of the battery if you don't let it get below 20% and that you don't charge it too much above 80%.

Oct 25, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #1,706 of 3,645
Quote:
The output of the LOD is a line level/line out signal, meaning it is unamped, so you need to control the volume with the device amplifying the signal (here this would be the stereo receiver). It sounds better because it's not being double amped (i.e. amped out of the iPod then amped again by the receiver).

Quote:

Nope, LOD bypasses the internal amp on the iPod so there is no way to use the clickwheel to adjust volume.

No, we just set the volume to 0dB for the line out.  Its actually fully adjustable though, so you could pretty easily hack up the source to change the line out level if you want by just calling audiohw_set_lineout_vol from inside the audiohw_set_master_vol function.

And while I don't mean to pick on you guys since this seems like a common misconception, but line out doesn't 'bypass' anything, and you certainly are 'double amping' if you hook up another amp to the line out. On modern electronics, a line out is basically a second amp that has its volume adjusted independently of the headphone amp for use with powered speakers. Its to prevent you from blowing out accessories while allowing the DAC vendor to save money by not including the whole cost of a second headphone amp. Usually its just a cheaper amp that doesn't need as much current capacity since its discharged into a higher impedance load then the main amp. Unless something is weird with the design, the output into a high impedance load should be identical. Given how well the Classic's headphone amp drives a high impedance load, there is almost certainly no improvement from using the line out.

Oct 25, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #1,707 of 3,645
Quote:
Any thoughts on how to properly charge the battery with Rockbox installed?
This page states that: A portable device should be turned off while charging. This allows the battery to reach the threshold voltage unhindered and reflects the correct saturation current responsible to terminate the charge. A parasitic load confuses the charger.

If you first connect the charger you can turn off the iPod right after it. But is it then possible to overcharge the (lithium-ion polymer) battery? Or does the hardware take care of the charging level and makes it stop when a full charge is reached?

I usually let it charge as slow as possible, so 500mA or 750mA. And once every two months I let my Classic run out of battery and then fully charge it again. It is supposed to prolong the life of the battery if you don't let it get below 20% and that you don't charge it too much above 80%.

I'm not sure what that page is trying to say, but its not correct.  Its not actually possible to charge most devices when fully off, since they require the CPU to monitor the charge rate and level.  Regarding rockbox, it shouldn't be possible to overcharge because the charge rate is monitored and then stopped when the battery is fully charged.  Deep cycling the battery is actually not very good for it, and is otherwise pointless (unless you're using the device!)

Oct 26, 2012 at 5:52 AM Post #1,709 of 3,645
guys this maybe a one stupid question to ask... but.. isnt theirs any bad bugs nw with the rock box?? i heard bunch of peoples are sayng that its nt  stable...  plz help me out will u.. i have a 7G 160gig

Oct 26, 2012 at 6:08 AM Post #1,710 of 3,645
Quote:
guys this maybe a one stupid question to ask... but.. isnt theirs any bad bugs nw with the rock box?? i heard bunch of peoples are sayng that its nt  stable...  plz help me out will u.. i have a 7G 160gig

I'm using aroldan's Rockbox builds since June/July in my 160GB Classic that I bought new, and I've yet to find a bug. Zero problems so far in my case...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back