Ipod classic / Ipod touch LoD cable SQ vs 3.5 US Galaxy S3
Jul 11, 2012 at 2:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7
I have an E17 & ZO2 as my amps running them with Ultrasone 900 Pro.
My source atm is Galaxy S3(US-Sprint), I was thinking about getting an IPod classic 160g or Touch only because I have been reading about LoD giving a much higher sound quality... 
I like that I can carry my whole music library on 128GB USB sticks anywhere I go, I have an OTG cable for my S3 and with that I could add music to any device instantly via my S3 so players size is not important to me. 

I mainly listen to EDM that I buy on beatport in their uncompressed wav format. 

So to my question, would it be worth it to pick up an ipod today with a LoD dock (fiio to start > order a higher quality one off ebay) 

My main concern is SQ, I also read a few things about silver producing a completely different sound, does anyone have any experience with silver & EDM music ? How does it affect bass ? 

I did test drive IPod Classic / Touch through 3.5 in Best Buy yesterday even tried with my amp, the sound difference seemed strange, Classic even with E17 & +6 / +12 gain did not produce as much sound as my S3 ( volume maxed ) seemed like 35% on my S3.
Touch seemed to have a cleaner sound, tighter, more accentuated then again they were different tracks so I don't know...

What do you guys think ?

Thoughts, suggestions ?

Thanks in advance :wink:  

Jul 12, 2012 at 12:20 AM Post #2 of 7
If you look around on these forums, it has been (practically) confirmed that the next android OS update (Jellybean) will enable the Galaxy S3 to output a digital audio signal to the Fiio E17 through its mini-b port. The OTA Jellybean update will (reportedly) be available in Q4 but if you're into the android modding community it may be available sooner.

IMO, stick with the Galaxy as your primary source device until more news about Galaxy S3 - Fiio E17 compatibility is released. You may end up saving yourself a lot of money.

Jul 12, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #3 of 7
Thanks man, I will def be looking out for that. 
Side news, seems that the apple touch I picked up today decided to burn my left ear cup ;( 
Ultrasoneless till I get a replacement & get rid of this evil apple product. 

Jul 14, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #4 of 7
I have a couple questions.

1. Does the Touch have a better SQ than the Classic?  This is w/o any EQ.
2. How does the Galaxy 4.2 PMP sound Vs. a Clip and an ipod?

Jul 15, 2012 at 2:07 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:
I have a couple questions.

1. Does the Touch have a better SQ than the Classic?  This is w/o any EQ.
2. How does the Galaxy 4.2 PMP sound Vs. a Clip and an ipod?

I feel SQ between touch & classic is same, the only difference is that touch has more gain on its amp. 
Also can not speak for galaxy 4.2 pmp but my S3 is not good unless I carry E7 + E11 and connect it via OTG cable. What I mean to say by that is the US version of S3 has worse SQ then Touch, Classic, Ipad, Walman Z & even my old S2 ( US v ). 

Quote:
It sucks that your left ear cup dies. I have an ipod classic 160G and I love it. Because of the dock connector you can bypass the amp inside the ipod with a LOD. I was also skeptic before I tried it out. So I bought the PA2V2 from electric avenues and a high quality LOD from ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Silver-Leopard-iPod-Line-Out-Dock-LOD-Pure-Stranded-Silver-Plated-Copper-Cryo-/251098870850?pt=UK_MP3_Player_Accessories_Cables_Adapters&hash=item3a76a8b442#ht_1529wt_1185
The sound is great and I love it every single day since then.

I am actually doing that with a LoD and Sony Z walkman, though TBH the sound is being quite weird with that + Fiio E11, on some songs it does really well, on others its horrible ... also not very forgiving when playing MP3s, you can literally hear the SQ drop, bass becomes more uncontrolled, vocals barely get through, seems like my Ultrasones 900 pro are fighting with the amp / player which are trying to decide what to give more volume to. 
I will get a LoD for apple devices tomorrow & give it a whirl with one of the demo units of touch / classic again ... 

Got my new Ultrasones & I could not be happier, you really do get addicted to their sound signature!

Jul 15, 2012 at 2:12 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:
If you look around on these forums, it has been (practically) confirmed that the next android OS update (Jellybean) will enable the Galaxy S3 to output a digital audio signal to the Fiio E17 through its mini-b port. The OTA Jellybean update will (reportedly) be available in Q4 but if you're into the android modding community it may be available sooner.

IMO, stick with the Galaxy as your primary source device until more news about Galaxy S3 - Fiio E17 compatibility is released. You may end up saving yourself a lot of money.

As far as I can tell yes, even the E7 is possible right now ... but it seems like a hell of a setup to carry around lol. 
S3 > line out dock > usb cable for E7 > E7 > Audio cable for E11 > E11 + USB sticks. 

I can only imagine the tangled mess when I get a call lol... I kind of went the dedicated route, it also saves me battery life but it seems like there is only a 10-15% improvement over my S3 in SQ which do not get my wrong is awesome but I am going to try out an Ipod tomorrow to see how it goes instead of this Z Walkman. 

Jul 15, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

I feel SQ between touch & classic is same, the only difference is that touch has more gain on its amp. 
Also can not speak for galaxy 4.2 pmp but my S3 is not good unless I carry E7 + E11 and connect it via OTG cable. What I mean to say by that is the US version of S3 has worse SQ then Touch, Classic, Ipad, Walman Z & even my old S2 ( US v ). 

I am actually doing that with a LoD and Sony Z walkman, though TBH the sound is being quite weird with that + Fiio E11, on some songs it does really well, on others its horrible ... also not very forgiving when playing MP3s, you can literally hear the SQ drop, bass becomes more uncontrolled, vocals barely get through, seems like my Ultrasones 900 pro are fighting with the amp / player which are trying to decide what to give more volume to. 
I will get a LoD for apple devices tomorrow & give it a whirl with one of the demo units of touch / classic again ... 

Got my new Ultrasones & I could not be happier, you really do get addicted to their sound signature!

What does gain on the amp mean?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back