iPhone is Go Go GO!
Jan 9, 2007 at 6:59 PM Post #31 of 198
I can't wait till the whole video is available to watch. But my first impressions:

1) At least I am already a Cingular customer. I do like their coverage but don't like the way they treat their customers.

2) They did say "EXCLUSIVE" to Cingular, which is a shame because when I travel overseas (Africa, etc) it helps to be able to buy a cheap SIM there instead of another whole phone.

3) It is more impressive looking than I thought, but also more expensive being that I am required to sign a 2 year contract with Cingular (right now I pick-your-plan).

4) I'll probably end up getting one. I was going to get an 8GB nano down the road anyway, and my L2 doesn't work with Cingular data services (because it's not a Cingular-authorized L2). At least I have till June to decide.

--Chris

Jan 9, 2007 at 7:03 PM Post #32 of 198
Hopefully, some enterprising soul in the back streets of Hong Kong will be greedy enough to find a way to unlock these phones... because I sure as hell want one!

Price is a little steep though - I want to see some more specs first.

Jan 9, 2007 at 7:04 PM Post #33 of 198
will the batt last enough for music and phone, i don't think so...even SE phone don't have that much juice...

Jan 9, 2007 at 7:10 PM Post #34 of 198
i'm a little disappointed there's no new regular iPod, just for music and i guess videos.
the iPhone looks great though!! can't wait until its in stores and i can play around with it
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 9, 2007 at 7:16 PM Post #35 of 198
I'd kind of been holding out on getting a phone until this was announced. I'll for sure be picking one up in june.

Jan 9, 2007 at 7:22 PM Post #36 of 198
Quote:

Originally Posted by Digitalbath3737 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
price will be $499 for 4G model 8gb is $599

With a contract?
Considering that here in Germany you can get the expensive cell phones with a 2 year contract for zero, this is really expensive......

Jan 9, 2007 at 7:30 PM Post #37 of 198
I'm pretty underwhelmed by it all now
frown.gif
I'd rather have a dedicated video device.

Quote:

will the batt last enough for music and phone, i don't think so

That's a great point. There's to much funtion and not enough juice to really go around for it all.

Jan 9, 2007 at 7:34 PM Post #38 of 198
Well, It looks nice, but I can't help but think it's a little overpriced for the average person in the street. I can't see mom and dad springing this much for a phone for little johnny, when he already has a phone and an ipod... I'd assume teenagers are a large part of the Ipod market. Are Teenagers allowed to sign a two year legal contract?

just a thought.. and how much is the plan? data plans aren't exactly cheap are they?

Still, it does look nice.

Jan 9, 2007 at 8:00 PM Post #39 of 198
It looks nice, but like craig said above me, the people who will want it the most most likely won't be able to afford $500 and $600 for a cellphone, even if it doubles as a portable media player. Most of the time, features like that become unused after the first month of playing with it and they'll go back to their standalone player. That's what happened to me because I just couldn't deal with the battery life of using my phone as an mp3 player.

Jan 9, 2007 at 8:05 PM Post #41 of 198
Quote:

Originally Posted by laxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It looks nice, but like craig said above me, the people who will want it the most most likely won't be able to afford $500 and $600 for a cellphone, even if it doubles as a portable media player.

Don't forget the monthly cost of phone service if buying the iPhone requires also paying for data service instead of just phone service alone.

Jan 9, 2007 at 8:17 PM Post #42 of 198
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So does this put a final nail in the zune coffin????
biggrin.gif

If it were 30gbs it would.... but nothing else is needed to put the Zune in it's grave. MS made sure the player was dead before it even hit the shelf.

Jan 9, 2007 at 8:18 PM Post #43 of 198
In typical Apple fashion, they innovate, then they go "corporate" by "partnering" with Cingular. What a sell out, I mean, I'd be willing to shell out $600 for just the device, but to get locked into a 2 year contract with Cingular makes me want to puke... in fact I puked in my mouth a little when the Cingular CEO went into his little sales pitch. Everyone knows that Cingular customer support sucks and their data plans/service are an f'n joke compared to other service providers.

Cliff-notes- things that keep me from buying this:
- No 3G network implementation
- Required 2 Year Cingular contract
- Cingular add-on data plans are not price/performance competitive

Jan 9, 2007 at 8:19 PM Post #44 of 198
Perhaps Apple is going back after the premium market, like Macs were way back when..

Much as I like the design, there's no way I could justify the cost.
I have a perfectly serviceable phone and a Karma, which holds umm 2.5 times as much music. And probably sounds better too.

It is pretty though, and that appears to be half the battle these days.

Jan 9, 2007 at 8:23 PM Post #45 of 198
Wow.

Now all they need to do is yank all the phone junk and throw that new single platter 60gb 1 inch drive in there. Then we'll have a 60gb wifi widescreen ipod video. If they'd offer an itunes supscription service, you could browse it from either my hypothetical ipod or the new iphone, streaming tracks when you're connected or downloading them for later.

I think my hypothetical ipod will be released, but they'll probably let the iphone come out first so as not to steal any of its thunder. Maybe by next october I'll get what I want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back