iPhone Headphone Compatability List
Jul 11, 2007 at 12:19 AM Post #33 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by episiarch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, this is something we didn't understand when we bought it. Like the iPhone's stock headset, the Vibe Duo has a mic on the cord. But unlike the stock headset, there's no button on the cord - you have to touch the phone to answer a call.

I contacted v-moda and they informed me that a new Vibe Duo with a button as well as a microphone will be coming out next month.

I just ordered MylarOne X3s though, so I don't know if I'll be ordering the new vibes anytime soon. Maybe I'll try the ibud cable hack with the X3. Any tips on how to do this with the X3s?

Jul 11, 2007 at 10:30 AM Post #34 of 64
I have a WTB post in the cables thread...can't even pay someone to make me an adapter/cable.
frown.gif

Jul 11, 2007 at 4:40 PM Post #35 of 64
I'm looking to recable my Grado SR60s and I figured I might as well make them compatible with the iPhone while I'm at it. Does anyone know where I can get a minijack connector that fits in the iPhone? I checked Markertek and they don't seem to have any.

Jul 11, 2007 at 4:51 PM Post #36 of 64
I'm almost positive that the q-Jays when released will work with the iPhone because their tiny plug fits into the iRiver H140 remote's socket and almost nothing else does. (That's why iRiver included a special tiny extension cord with the remote.)

Jul 11, 2007 at 8:16 PM Post #37 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperpwc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm almost positive that the q-Jays when released will work with the iPhone because their tiny plug fits into the iRiver H140 remote's socket and almost nothing else does. (That's why iRiver included a special tiny extension cord with the remote.)

My iRiver iMP-550 also requires the small adapter cable. But, it just barely does NOT fit the iPhone. I'm sure a trim would make it fit.

On the other hand, that adapter cables is thin and weak. Better to trim a stronger cable, such as Shure's inexpensive short cables. Also, these help get just the right length of cable for your portable habits.

Jul 12, 2007 at 12:47 AM Post #40 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by matt fury /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Honestly, even though it's a bit of a hassle, they didn't really have much choice on this one. It's a concession I'm willing to make in exchange for the small size.

Definitely a concession I'm willing to make as well. I don't understand all the complaints. Every device has it's quirks/flaws it just seems that the iPhone is under so much more scrutiny than others. Besides, for the most part a simple utility knife mod does the trick
cool.gif

Jul 12, 2007 at 2:59 AM Post #41 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stoney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My iRiver iMP-550 also requires the small adapter cable. But, it just barely does NOT fit the iPhone. I'm sure a trim would make it fit.

I'm not suggesting use of the adptor cable. Rather, the q-Jays will fit directly into the socket and therefore should fit the iPhone. Maybe I'm wrong but on the H140 remote, the jack is deep and incredibly thin.

Jul 12, 2007 at 11:35 PM Post #42 of 64
Jul 24, 2007 at 8:14 PM Post #44 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmoffitt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
UEs dont... oh well, adaptor FTW.

I had a spare UE cable, so I took a blade to it and cut off the plastic ring at the base of the plug. Fits nicely, rotates freely, etc.

(long-time reader, first time poster)

Jul 25, 2007 at 7:31 PM Post #45 of 64
I have a pair of Crossroads Mylarone X3s and I absolutely love them. They don't, however, fit in the iPhone's recessed jack. Immediately upon receiving them I took an Xacto knife to the minijack connector and what I was left with was a fitting, albeit not so good looking, connector.

The other day I came across this tutorial and figured I would give it a shot with my new X3s. Well, it worked and they sound great...dare I say it, better!

Here are some pics for your enjoyment:
DSC01047.jpg

It was impossible to get the white shielding through the back. I tried everything, even bought some fishing line to try to pull it through. I finally gave up and settled for cutting back some of the white and leaving the inner cables slightly longer.

DSC01056.jpg

The cables soldered and hot glued to reduce stress on the solder.

DSC01054.jpg

Because, like I said before, I couldn't get the white cable through I was unable to tie a knot to hold the cable in place. Instead, I hot glued the cables into the back to hold them in place. Also, I jammed the white cable in pretty good; friction alone should hold it relatively well.

DSC01041.jpg

DSC01043.jpg

DSC01057.jpg

DSC01058.jpg

Finished!

It could be my imagination, but they really do sound better. The bass is more prominent and the phones sound more "punchy" and forward. Also, the iBuds cable is less microphonic which is always a plus.

Now I can answer and hang up calls while listening to music and skip to the next track all from the button/mic on the cable!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back