iPhone Headphone Compatability List
Jul 1, 2007 at 2:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 64

burnhamd

New Head-Fier
Hello all now that the greatest phone of all time has landed it seems that not all headphones fit because of the unique plastic trim around the jack. So I want to know which phones fit without any modification or third-party accessory.

The ones that I know that fit (coming straight from engadget):
Etymotic er6i
Zune Headphones - not that we care about those

Jul 1, 2007 at 3:48 AM Post #2 of 64
I measured the barrel of the supplied headset at 5.72mm, and the opening for it at 5.92mm. Headphone plugs have to be really skinny to fit, because I tried the three smallest plugs we have around here and none of them fit:

- Sony EX71SL (the short cord, with a straight plug: 6.71mm)
- V-Moda Vibe (6.37mm)
- Crossroads MylarOne X3 (6.74mm)

Edit: as for the ER-6i, I can tell you that my black one does not fit. At 7.93mm it is not remotely in the running. I suspect Engadget was using the white ER-6i with the straight plug. (Though it's also conceivable that Etymotic has changed its ER-6i black plug since I got mine.)

Jul 1, 2007 at 6:55 AM Post #4 of 64
UEs dont... oh well, adaptor FTW.

Jul 2, 2007 at 4:38 AM Post #6 of 64
so seeing as how none of the earphones / headphones I have work with the iPhone, and I had some time on my hands...

iphoneadaptor1.jpg

iphoneadaptor2.jpg

went away at a neutrik mini (NSY231 series) with a file until it fit, then added a small female connector 90 degrees to it. fairly low profile, but I may have to go with a design that's less bulky later on. not bad for a first try I suppose.

so the answer to the question is everything.
biggrin.gif
although making a first-party accessory to do so might be cheating a bit.
wink.gif

Jul 2, 2007 at 3:30 PM Post #7 of 64
I think the ES7's plug will work. It, my wife's iPhone, and my calipers are all in different places right now, but will be gotten together tonight. Meanwhile my crude measurements with a ruler are very promising.

Update: No, the ES7 does not work. It looked skinny, but at 6.26mm it is too big.

Jul 2, 2007 at 3:46 PM Post #8 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by episiarch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
V-Moda Vibe Duo headset does fit - obviously, because it was made to. Pretty nice little headset IMO. If you like the regular Vibe, you'll like this.

Does the Vibe Duo make the Apple Bluetooth accessory redundant. Meaning, you can answer the phone with the Vibe. I know the Vibe has a wire and everything...

Jul 2, 2007 at 3:54 PM Post #10 of 64
I am very sad/pissed off to report that the Etymotic ER4Ps do NOT work!!!

All of my playing over the weekend was using the speaker phone. I found that out this morning on my way to work.

Jul 2, 2007 at 6:15 PM Post #12 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLeeWebb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does the Vibe Duo make the Apple Bluetooth accessory redundant. Meaning, you can answer the phone with the Vibe. I know the Vibe has a wire and everything...

Well, this is something we didn't understand when we bought it. Like the iPhone's stock headset, the Vibe Duo has a mic on the cord. But unlike the stock headset, there's no button on the cord - you have to touch the phone to answer a call.

Jul 2, 2007 at 6:24 PM Post #13 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by episiarch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, this is something we didn't understand when we bought it. Like the iPhone's stock headset, the Vibe Duo has a mic on the cord. But unlike the stock headset, there's no button on the cord - you have to touch the phone to answer a call.

Thanks, for your help epi. I just spoke with AT&T. I ordered my iPhone via The Apple Store online. I'm passing on the Vibe Duo. Thanks again...

Jul 3, 2007 at 6:01 AM Post #15 of 64
Well DONE man! Considering how this seems a planned 'feature' of the otherwise awesome iPhone to get people to buy adapters you ought to consider manufacturing and selling them
wink.gif
I have the ordinary ER-6's and sadly they dont really work unless you really cram the jack in and then you get one channel at best. How'd you like to make me a jack?
wink.gif
I'd happily pay you b4 paying Apple for what seems a calculated oversight..
S

Users who are viewing this thread

Back