iPhone Earphones
Oct 23, 2010 at 6:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

amraam

Head-Fier
Hi all,

First post here, looks a good site for audio stuff
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm after a decent set of earphones for my iPhone.  Having inline audio controls (play/pause, volume, mic etc) is a must.  I really like the look of the IE8i but they are very expensive and I really would like to limit my budget to £150 if possible. 

What recommendations you have?

Also, whenever I read up on audio equipment, there's always a load of jargon that just doesn't make sense to me.  How can music be warm or colourful?  I have no idea how to relate that to my music experience - is there like a glossary somewhere which explains all of the audio terminology?

Thanks!!

Oct 23, 2010 at 6:29 PM Post #2 of 16
Hi there, and welcome to Head-Fi
smile_phones.gif

This thread should help you out.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/220770/describing-sound-a-glossary

It would be useful if you tell us what music you listen to, what kind of sound you like, and whether isolation is a priority or not (if it is, cross the IE8 off your list).

Do you like a lot of bass? Do you like vocals to be dominant? Are you sensitive to treble? Have a think about that first, and then it will be easier to narrow down the choices.

Off the top of my head, the Klipsch S4i is a decent upgrade to stock buds and it has the remote mic for the iPhone too. Can't remember what they sell for, but they're definitely cheaper than the IE8.

Oct 24, 2010 at 8:33 AM Post #3 of 16
Thanks for the help. I'm not really sure how to answer the questions. I listen to pretty much every genre except RnB etc. I like lots of deep bass but I value sound quality above all. I like accurate treble buy not too harsh. I'm used to using regular earbuds so I don't think I've ever experienced good isolation. I don't think perfect outside noise isolation is essential for me but as long as they make a good seal and allow me to hear all the music clearly I'll be happy.

Oct 24, 2010 at 9:18 AM Post #4 of 16
ooh well it just so happens im reviewing 2 such items.  the mc3 and hf3 fromm etymotic.  ive also heard the S4 and a normal IE8, it relley depends if your looking for bass or accuracy and isolation.  

IE8 great and awesome bass but not an isolator

S4 isolates deciently but too much bass and to hard treble, fair i guess for the money

mc3 meh, dont bother

hf3  oooooh, its a stunner and isolates like no bodys business

if you want pm me i can send you my not yet published or totally finished reviews of the mc3 and hf3 if you want

Oct 24, 2010 at 9:28 AM Post #5 of 16
I'll wait for the review but I also thought the HF5/3 really good and just right for portables. A hair smooth but very linear and clear. Could have a bit more low bottom depending on preferrence. Of course mine was only a minute audition but it's easy when they're that close to right.
bigsmile_face.gif
 Question is, have you heard the DBAs to compare?

Oct 24, 2010 at 2:48 PM Post #9 of 16

Quote:
ooh well it just so happens im reviewing 2 such items.  the mc3 and hf3 fromm etymotic.  ive also heard the S4 and a normal IE8, it relley depends if your looking for bass or accuracy and isolation.  

IE8 great and awesome bass but not an isolator

S4 isolates deciently but too much bass and to hard treble, fair i guess for the money

mc3 meh, dont bother

hf3  oooooh, its a stunner and isolates like no bodys business

if you want pm me i can send you my not yet published or totally finished reviews of the mc3 and hf3 if you want

That would be awesome mate, thanks.  PM sent
smily_headphones1.gif

My current headphones are MX90vc.  They sound OK, but I guess at £30 they can only be considered as budget.  I want better SQ and more bass, so I figured I gotta up my budget a fair whack. 

Oct 27, 2010 at 5:49 AM Post #13 of 16
Thanks I'll check them out. When people say the IE 8s are bad isolaters is that relative? In other words will they still be night in day compared to crappy apple earbuds (that come with iPods etc) or are they simply rubbish at blocking external sound? Isolation is not essential but it's pointless spending all the money if I can't hear the sq over other peoples conversations etc.

Oct 28, 2010 at 3:09 PM Post #14 of 16
Got my eyes (or should I say ears?) on the Klipsch X10is.  OK £230, so really not cheap, and I doubt I need to spend even half that considering I'll only be plugging them in an iPhone 4.  But, what can I say - I love music, and it's nearing Xmas so why not?!
biggrin.gif

Any thoughts on these little gems?

Oct 30, 2010 at 12:11 PM Post #15 of 16
Any thoughts on this item? Likely that they're fake at that price?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Klipsch-image-X10i-earphones-100-new-ORIGINAL-/220682400663?pt=UK_AudioVisualElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Headphones&hash=item3361b23397

Users who are viewing this thread

Back