iPhone 7 Will Revolutionize Portable Audio for the First Time in a Decade
Nov 13, 2016 at 1:40 PM Post #1,111 of 1,216
​I know that I do not want a manufacturer like fApple dictating what headphones I can use with a product that I paid for.  So?  I will not buy into the fApple Cider of the lightning connector.  I also do not wish to have to purchase an adaptor to use all of the 'phones I already have, much less any of the ones I may want..

Taking a page from Schiit's advertising genius -.  I buy headphones for the devices I already own and use, not for the one(s) a manufacturer decided was better (or just different to be different/cool/insert hyperbole here)  and that forces me to buy something else because they claim they're better.   

Hmmm..."fApple Cider".  sounds about right.

I Agree choice is key, but the adapter contains the sound, the iPhone 7 is merely the storage device for music. So technically Apple's actual DAC lets you attach any 3.5mm headphone/IEM you want.

Nov 13, 2016 at 11:16 PM Post #1,112 of 1,216
I Agree choice is key, but the adapter contains the sound, the iPhone 7 is merely the storage device for music. So technically Apple's actual DAC lets you attach any 3.5mm headphone/IEM you want.

My iPhone SE contains both the sound and the storage, and works with lightning DACs and conventional headphones.

And it lacks the Nuisance Factor of the iPhone 7 - which is the only "revolutionary" thing I see in this new direction Apple has taken.

I'm with ORT.

(And don't get me started on the new MacBook "Pro" )

Edited: fixed a word

Nov 14, 2016 at 2:14 PM Post #1,113 of 1,216
Just got the Lightning to headphone adapter and tested it out on both my 5s & 6s.

The very first thing I noticed was--contrary to all previous post--- the remote control on my non apple headphone as well as volume controls work on my Momentums! Is it because of the latest ios release, I am uncertain. I am using iOS 10.2 beta 2.

2nd significant thing I noticed, its sounds more powerful / louder than both 5s & 6s

it sounds superior than both 5s & 6s. It has a remarkably better mids, more textured, more forward. (tested on momentum 1.0 over ear on both ios & straight cable)

Sounds more defined than both 5s & 6s. but when I revert back to especially the 6s, the 6s definitely sounds a touch more airy but less defined across the board (bass, mids, details).

a bit more dynamic & raw sounding, albeit somewhat thicker but not colored.

Sorry for the vague review, not an audiophile :D

For 9$ its pretty incredible value, especially having learned the volume controls still work on latest ios version.

cheers.

Nov 14, 2016 at 6:45 PM Post #1,114 of 1,216
Just got the Lightning to headphone adapter and tested it out on both my 5s & 6s.

The very first thing I noticed was--contrary to all previous post--- the remote control on my non apple headphone as well as volume controls work on my Momentums! Is it because of the latest ios release, I am uncertain. I am using iOS 10.2 beta 2.

2nd significant thing I noticed, its sounds more powerful / louder than both 5s & 6s

it sounds superior than both 5s & 6s. It has a remarkably better mids, more textured, more forward. (tested on momentum 1.0 over ear on both ios & straight cable)

Sounds more defined than both 5s & 6s. but when I revert back to especially the 6s, the 6s definitely sounds a touch more airy but less defined across the board (bass, mids, details).

a bit more dynamic & raw sounding, albeit somewhat thicker but not colored.

Sorry for the vague review, not an audiophile
biggrin.gif

For 9$ its pretty incredible value, especially having learned the volume controls still work on latest ios version.

cheers.

I've not tested maximum volume VS the 5 (or SE), but against the 6, the absolute maximum volume is exactly the same. Great adapter though.

Nov 15, 2016 at 3:30 AM Post #1,115 of 1,216

I've not tested maximum volume VS the 5 (or SE), but against the 6, the absolute maximum volume is exactly the same. Great adapter though.

You're right. Maybe because, thru the adapter, it still retains considerably more dynamics and lower distortion at high volumes makes me perceive that it has a louder volume.

Nov 15, 2016 at 4:43 AM Post #1,116 of 1,216
I think that the loudness of the dongle matches the one of the headphone port...but clipping performance is better on the dongle (especially with low impedance headphones) which might account for the subjective idea that the dongle goes louder.

After weeks of plugging the dongle into many iPhone models i think it is safe to say that it is an amazing engineering effort. Heck, it impresses me more than the whole iPhone 7.

It sounds glorious with all my iems (Westone W30, Shure SE846, Shure SE110 and Shure SE215) and power consumption is on par with the headphone port.

If this was branded Fiio, iBasso,Astell & Kern... and costed 199$ i bet it would be a 500 pages thread already :wink:

Nov 15, 2016 at 7:40 AM Post #1,117 of 1,216
  I think that the loudness of the dongle matches the one of the headphone port...but clipping performance is better on the dongle (especially with low impedance headphones) which might account for the subjective idea that the dongle goes louder.

After weeks of plugging the dongle into many iPhone models i think it is safe to say that it is an amazing engineering effort. Heck, it impresses me more than the whole iPhone 7.

It sounds glorious with all my iems (Westone W30, Shure SE846, Shure SE110 and Shure SE215) and power consumption is on par with the headphone port.

If this was branded Fiio, iBasso,Astell & Kern... and costed 199$ i bet it would be a 500 pages thread already :wink:

This!

I know its not technically possible, but has anyone tried to make it work on Android Phones?  e.g. Android Phone --> Micro USB to Female Lightning port adapter > Headphone Dongle  :D

its a silly idea but would be a good workaround for Android handsets since only a few have decent HP outs. Even my HTC One M8 sounds dull compared to the 5s headphone out & is the only reason im sticking with an idevice for now.

Nov 15, 2016 at 10:46 AM Post #1,118 of 1,216
After a bit of use, both 5s & 6s definitely sound more open especially at low volumes. I dont know if this is because of the more forward presentation of the adapter on my momentums or Is this possibly due to the Jitter they speak of on http://ohm-image.net/opinion/audiophile/thd-jitter-apple-lightning-to-35-mm-headphone-adapter-vs-iphone-6 and https://www.facebook.com/larry.ho.heyuan/posts/10157409342390532 ? 

When reverting back to 5s or 6s headphone jack, it sounds smoother as well. It sounds more musical and "right". Whereas from the dongle, while it probably sounds exceptional and measure better esp. at high volumes, the music sounds less enjoyable / emotional. Are such observations attributable to jitter? 

==== EDIT ===

I think my earlier impressions of the dongle being technically superior but subjectively less musical/enjoyable had more to do with mental burn in than jitter. It notably sounds better after getting used to its sound vs 5s HP out.

Nov 15, 2016 at 11:44 AM Post #1,119 of 1,216
This!

I know its not technically possible, but has anyone tried to make it work on Android Phones?  e.g. Android Phone --> Micro USB to Female Lightning port adapter > Headphone Dongle  :D

its a silly idea but would be a good workaround for Android handsets since only a few have decent HP outs. Even my HTC One M8 sounds dull compared to the 5s headphone out & is the only reason im sticking with an idevice for now.

I'm currently waiting to receive an adapter for this dongle so that I can connect it into a type C port. Should be here by tomorrow. I will let you know how it goes. The manufacturer stated it should work but does not guarantee it.

Nov 15, 2016 at 10:26 PM Post #1,123 of 1,216

Wow - imagine how nice the iPhone 7 would have been if they would have just built that in!! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back