iPhone 7 Will Revolutionize Portable Audio for the First Time in a Decade
Oct 19, 2016 at 11:21 AM Post #1,082 of 1,216
  By the way, this silly website suggested that my RMAA article denigrated the dongle's audio output quality. Fools.

The bad thing about the Internet is that anybody can beam anything all over the world. Obviously that guy have seen your article but...

a) he has not read it
b) he can not properly understand audio and/or English language.

Oct 19, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #1,083 of 1,216

The bad thing about the Internet is that anybody can beam anything all over the world. Obviously that guy have seen your article but...

a) he has not read it
b) he can not properly understand audio and/or English language.

And he was promoting a competing product. 

Oct 19, 2016 at 10:04 PM Post #1,085 of 1,216
Because those phones still have 3.5mm headphone jacks.

Oct 19, 2016 at 11:15 PM Post #1,086 of 1,216
  Why aren't more headphones (N90Q, PXC 550) using USB-C? and including a lightning cable?

​I would say no because it is totally unnecessary.  I think it has already been asked but do we humans hear 0s and 1s?

Nope.  That is why there are Digital to Analog Converters.  Apple does some stupid stuff and hopes that people are even more ignorant and buy into it.

There is nothing wrong with the headphone jack as it is.  Handy.  Universal.  Easy to use.  Not overpriced or over-engineered. Perfect?  No, but more than just "good enough".   

Oct 19, 2016 at 11:20 PM Post #1,087 of 1,216
lol i meant USB-C rather than microUSB. As it is now, you need to plug the microUSB-USB cable into the USB-lightning dongle, which is just a mess of hurt.

Oct 20, 2016 at 1:10 AM Post #1,088 of 1,216

I'd say they fall in the same (excellent) ballpark. For wild (impedance wise) balanced armatures you'd probably be a notch better with the dongle.

Thank you very much for your reply.

So you mean that my iPhone 6 / iPad Air 2 may sounds the same or a little better with the Lightning to 3.5 mm Headphone Jack Adapter, right?

Oct 20, 2016 at 2:58 AM Post #1,090 of 1,216
shigzeo, elfary,
anybody of you could kindly (re)explain how it is possible that the same apple adaptor (dac+amp) attached to different devices (i.e: iphone, ipad) produces different audio figures...

thanks and cheers from milan
valerio

Oct 20, 2016 at 3:09 AM Post #1,091 of 1,216
  shigzeo, elfary,
anybody of you could kindly (re)explain how it is possible that the same apple adaptor (dac+amp) attached to different devices (i.e: iphone, ipad) produces different audio figures...

thanks and cheers from milan
valerio

I imagine it's just USB source problems, the same that show measurable differences between an iMac and an iPhone through the same DAC. I get bad measurable results from the iMac but great measurable performance through the iPhone. Since the cable is a DAC, it should act the same.

Nov 8, 2016 at 10:10 AM Post #1,093 of 1,216
I sent an email to Sennheiser customer service asking if they would be releasing lightning earphones. This is the reply I got, which is unusually candid:

We will not be releasing lightning connectable headphones. We have decided to have customers either go wireless bluetooth, or you can buy a lightning to 3.5mm headphone jack adapter from Apple and continue to use the standard 3.5mm headphone input that Apple should have just left on the phone itself. 

confused_face_2.gif

It's ridiculous that two months after launch of the phone, the only lightning earphones I can find on Amazon are of questionable brands or have bad reviews. 

Nov 8, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #1,095 of 1,216
I sent an email to Sennheiser customer service asking if they would be releasing lightning earphones. This is the reply I got, which is unusually candid:

:confused_face_2:

It's ridiculous that two months after launch of the phone, the only lightning earphones I can find on Amazon are of questionable brands or have bad reviews. 

Good for Sennheiser in that they're not going to waste time, resources, and money developing a Lightning based headphone which can only be used with one manufacturer's devices. And Sennheiser are absolutely right not to as Apple has a habit of leaving MFi device manufacturers, and their users, out in the cold.

A case in point is the maker of a popular game controller who had a full MFi license for bluetooth controllers, which were sold in Apple stores up until very recently, no longer work with iOS 10 and no fix is coming because Apple unilaterally changed the APIs.

I ask you seriously, do you really want spend good money on a set of good headphones that can only be plugged into an iToy? Add to that there's a high chance that Apple will switch to USB C for all future devices thus rendering the expensive lightning headphones that you've bought as useless.

The reason why there are only crap Lightning headphones available is that no sane and decent manufacturer is going to develop for a proprietary, and likely soon obsolete connector.

This is Head-Fi, normally I would say sorry for your wallet, but in this case I think it's been saved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back