iPhone 7 Will Revolutionize Portable Audio for the First Time in a Decade
Sep 8, 2016 at 11:20 AM Post #166 of 1,216
To me, in the short term it's all about the Lightning to 3.5 dongle.

If it is not as good and powerful as my iPhone 6 hpo then it's more iPhone 6 or Android.

Alcohol is never the answer... But it certainly helps you forget the question.

Sep 8, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #169 of 1,216
From all reports the W1 chip is not a new protocol but Apple's own implementation of Bluetooth. Bluetooth with a wrapper for easier pairing and state reporting. And according to the Apple website it's AAC to the AirPods- so lossy.

Not quite so innovative.

W1 chip is using different protocol. It's not Bluetooth according to Apple info. That is why Apple and Beats produced different-new headphones to connect with the W1 and not Bluetooth. I guess it will be better than Bluetooth even though it's just its first implementation, otherwise Apple would not present it as its own wireless solution. In 2 years I will be waiting to chat with you again about this matter. I am storing this thread for future reference...

And yes it is AAC not flac or wav. To my ears AAC is very good, but I will not debate with you on this well known subject. I respect people's opinions who can hear differences even though my experience is different...

Sep 8, 2016 at 11:48 AM Post #170 of 1,216
W1 chip is using different protocol. It's not Bluetooth according to Apple info. That is why Apple and Beats produced different-new headphones to connect with the W1 and not Bluetooth. I guess it will be better than Bluetooth even though it's just its first implementation, otherwise Apple would not present it as its own wireless solution. In 2 years I will be waiting to chat with you again about this matter. I am storing this thread for future reference...

And yes it is AAC not flac or wav. To my ears AAC is very good, but I will not debate with you on this well known subject. I respect people's opinions who can hear differences even though my experience is different...

You are 100% wrong on this:
https://www.buzzfeed.com/johnpaczkowski/inside-iphone-7-why-apple-killed-the-headphone-jack?utm_term=.emnvk8wxP&utm_medium=email&utm_source=digg#.dmVrG97BM

Sep 8, 2016 at 11:53 AM Post #172 of 1,216
I have read this particular article. In which point does it prove me wrong?

"AirPods use Bluetooth for their connection. Bluetooth headphones have historically suffered from a conga line of connectivity problems: onerous pairing, dropped connections, crappy sound. Apple is confident it’s solved them all with that W1 chip. “As you can imagine, by developing our own Bluetooth chip and controlling both ends of the pairing process there’s a lot of magic we can do,” Ternus says. “We use a Bluetooth connection, but cover it in a lot of secret sauce.”

Sep 8, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #174 of 1,216
"[COLOR=333333]AirPods use Bluetooth for their connection. Bluetooth headphones have historically suffered from a conga line of connectivity problems: onerous pairing, dropped connections, crappy sound. Apple is confident it’s solved them all with that W1 chip. “As you can imagine, by developing our own Bluetooth chip and controlling both ends of the pairing process there’s a lot of magic we can do,” Ternus says. “We use a Bluetooth connection, but cover it in a lot of secret sauce.”[/COLOR]

Exactly! It's not Bluetooth as it used to be, with all its inherited problems. That's exactly what I am saying as well. He just uses the word Bluetooth to describe the wireless connectivity but he also implies that Apple has resolved the hiccups...So, if this is true it will be the sole way if you want to go wireless, which I tend to believe as well that it is the future...

Sep 8, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #175 of 1,216
It's bluetooth with easier connectivity and state reporting.  It's still a lossy stream so no matter how good of compatible headphones you have you are starting hampered. He's not just using the word Bluetooth. It's Bluetooth.

Sep 8, 2016 at 12:12 PM Post #176 of 1,216
Amazing, all a sudden Dre and Apple invented new wireless standard that get to audiophile level without big battery or fancy DAC and electric component. Revolutionary for sure. I can see all other companies are struggling to get their Dedicated player to sound good. Soon Apple will kill off the high-end portable audio player too.

Revolutionary

Totally

Revolutionary

(Sacarsm)

Sep 8, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #177 of 1,216
It's bluetooth with easier connectivity and state reporting.  It's still a lossy stream so no matter how good of compatible headphones you have you are starting hampered. He's not just using the word Bluetooth. It's Bluetooth.

As I wrote before I am not gonna debate here about your "lossy" audio point of view. Me and others cannot hear so many crucial differences between AAC and flac. You and others on the contrary can hear differences which you rate as important. The matter is rather subjective so there is no reason to go on...My personal opinion is that since I like the audio of AAC, if Apple makes it with less battery drain, no interruptions, fast and reliable pairing and better sound, it is the way to go for me since I don't accept anymore to carry around tangled cables in 2016!!...

Sep 8, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #179 of 1,216
Amazing, all a sudden Dre and Apple invented new wireless standard that get to audiophile level without big battery or fancy DAC and electric component. Revolutionary for sure. I can see all other companies are struggling to get their Dedicated player to sound good. Soon Apple will kill off the high-end portable audio player too.

Revolutionary

Totally

Revolutionary

(Sacarsm)

Sarcasm or not, sure Apple will kill off many of the so called "high end" bricks producers!! Don't be negative...if their product is good, they will deserve it. Let's wait and see...

Sep 8, 2016 at 12:38 PM Post #180 of 1,216
If the airpods stay in my ear during runs, I will be in line to get a pair.

I find them to be the best for portable audio. I have a big hunking set ups and love to roll tubes, but when I am on the go, wireless is the way to go. In ear designs are not good portable set ups.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back