iPhone 7/7+ Compact External DAC/Amp Thread
Sep 18, 2016 at 10:17 PM Post #31 of 199
What about audio quality with the E5?. And how about output power?. What kind of cans could it drive properly?.
Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure if they drive them "properly", but I've been very satisfied with the Sound Blaster E5 on these headphones, and I've not felt, "hmmm, they definitely need more power":

* Sennheiser HD 600
* Fostex T50RP MK3
* Beyerdynamic DT-880 Pro

I don't think the amp is great, but adequate, and the DAC is pretty darn good.  I tend to use the E5 when I'm relaxing in bed, with my iPhone, and I've always been quite pleased with the sound no matter which headphones I'm using, including the above.

Sep 21, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #32 of 199
Here is my preliminary report:

Edit - did another listen with the Z5 and DFR. Updated impressions.

Connectivity
  1. Apple Dongle no issues
  2. DFR with cck, no issues
  3. LH GOV2+ with Fiio L19, no issues

Other observations
  1. With both DFR and GOV2+, when I connect to the iPhone 7, it seems the full range of sampling rates get tested before the device is fully connected. I can see the changing colors of sampling rates during initial connection.
  2. On the GOV2+, I can hear the soft pops as the different sampling rates are tested. This is also the case when using GOV2+ with my desktop Mac.
  3. None of the DACs has any issues with cell signal or wifi noise interference.
  4. For some unknown reason the GOV2+ volume decreases by about 25% connected to the iPhone versus used with a desktop USB port. Switch to high gain only results in about a 3-5% volume gain.

Portability
  1. Apple Dongle is the best in this regard, but the wire is very thin and doesn't look like it will last very long.
  2. DFR and CCK is next easiest to tote around but it's bigger than it needs to be. It can create an awkward situation in pocket where you have to fold the combo under your phone. I would not let the DFR hang out of  your pocket.
  3. GOV2+ is surprising slim and roughly the same width as the iPhone 7, but 1.25 inches shorter. With the Fiio L19 cable it remains relatively compact. It fits fine in my dress pants, gym pants, and most of my jeans. However, slim fit jeans may a challenge.

Battery Life
  1. Dongle has the longest, but also least powerful.
  2. DFR seems to drain about 30% faster, but we are talking about 18 versus 12 hours total.
  3. GOV2+ itself doesn't use phone battery, but lasts around 8-9 hours with its' own battery. However, there is basically no phone drain so you still have a usable phone when GOV2+ dies. Dongle and DFR will drain your phone until the phone is out of power.

Audio Quality

In general, I found paring different IEMs with the devices to have the greatest difference is sound quality. I used JH Laylas and Sony Z5. Both were tested in standard 3.5mm SE output.

JH Laylas
  1. Apple dongle sounded pretty much the same as what I remember with the built in DACs of prior iPhone models. Unfortunately for Laylas, that means a very mediocre pairing. The mid bass sound bloated. It lacks full high end extension to what the Laylas are capable of doing. Overall a muddy, muted sound that is no better than a decent IEM in the $100 range.
  2. DFR - very nice pairing. Really surprised at the quality of sub bass. Mids are fairly neutral and the highs might be a touch to sharp. Overall it does justice to the price of the Laylas.
  3. GOV2+ - in SE mode, it's a good but not great pairing. I don't get the same sub bass extension as the DFR and the highs are a little laid back, but still good detail. Some may prefer this since it's a more organic and analog sounding quality. I like bass just north of neutral and some bite in the highs so it doesn't thrill me. However, I imagine I could listen for 10 hours straight and be happy with the sound quality with zero fatigue at the end. I have some balanced cables on the way and it should be a better idea of what the GOV2+ can do.

Sony Z5
  1. Apple dongle sounds pretty good. There is a slight warmth, but not too much. Bass sounds tight enough, just shy of liquid. Mids are fairly neutral. Highs are there, but the details are smeared at the highest frequencies like cymbals. A solid combo if you are not focusing on the music or have a lot of ambient noise around like commuting on a train.
  2. DFR - Initial impression was not much of an upgrade from Apple dongle imho. However, another listen and I must have had a loose seal or just fatigue as the sound was much better. Sub bass returns like I experienced with Laylas. Nice added bite to the highs. Mids sound a bit recessed.
  3. GOV2+ - I liked this pairing a lot and ended up listening to this the most. It's similar to what I heard with the Laylas but with the Z5, I get better sub bass texture and the highs move a little more forward but well short of sibilant. I am hesitant to try balanced because this would be another cable I would need to buy and I'm pretty satisfied with the combo in SE mode.

Overall Conclusion

My iPhone 7 is strictly meant for music on the go. This includes walking, commuting, and flights. In all of those cases, there is quite a bit of external noise and it's not easy to focus purely on the music. With that in mind, I am inclined to pair my phone with the Z5 and use the Apple dongle most of the time and switch to the GOV2+ on commutes and flights. When I try the balanced out of the GOV2+, this may change. However, for now, the DFR looks like it is not really needed for my case. If AQ would just make a dragon tail for iOS DFR would be more compact.

Practical Advice

I really hate the fact that DFR and GOV2+ use the built in iOS volume control instead of a nice analog POT. The iOS control itself is way to corse and I am constantly wanting a volume level in between steps. Fortunately there is a simple and cheap solution to this, for $1 you can get the following app:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/volume-master-dial-in-sound/id509091503?mt=8

This will allow you to make much finer volume adjustments. The downside is that you have to be in this app to do it and the simple track controls only work for some music apps, but not all. Well worth the $1 imho.

Sep 21, 2016 at 5:18 PM Post #33 of 199
I'm not sure if they drive them "properly", but I've been very satisfied with the Sound Blaster E5 on these headphones, and I've not felt, "hmmm, they definitely need more power":

* Sennheiser HD 600
* Fostex T50RP MK3
* Beyerdynamic DT-880 Pro

I don't think the amp is great, but adequate, and the DAC is pretty darn good.  I tend to use the E5 when I'm relaxing in bed, with my iPhone, and I've always been quite pleased with the sound no matter which headphones I'm using, including the above.

Ok, thanks.

Sep 21, 2016 at 6:35 PM Post #34 of 199
The first company that makes something similar to Apple's Lightning Adapter in black with a tougher cable will sell millions! 
Even better if they up the audio quality a bit.
As long as it was under say $50 which should be achievable, I'd buy a few for my travels kits
Step up AudioQuest?

Sep 21, 2016 at 6:37 PM Post #35 of 199
Even better if Bose and Sennheiser etc follow the Audeze example and have an Optional Lightning lead for the appropriate cans own their range. 

Sep 22, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #36 of 199
My Headamp Pico is working fine on the iPhone 7 through the CCK although since iOS 10 I have been seeing fairly regular crashes of the entire phone while using this setup - first on my 6s and now on my 7. Used this for a long time and these crashes are new.

Initially I was impressed with the sound of the Apple adapter at work where I have my Pico and CD3000's. It has a nice forward, detailed sound. But today listening a little more closely and the 'wow, new stuff' effect has worn off a bit, and I can tell that it's a step down from the Pico which is much smoother, with a much wider, expansive sound stage. Still, the adapter sounds good for what it is, and seems to be particularly well matched to my IEM's.

Sep 22, 2016 at 12:40 PM Post #37 of 199
  My Headamp Pico is working fine on the iPhone 7 through the CCK although since iOS 10 I have been seeing fairly regular crashes of the entire phone while using this setup - first on my 6s and now on my 7. Used this for a long time and these crashes are new.

Initially I was impressed with the sound of the Apple adapter at work where I have my Pico and CD3000's. It has a nice forward, detailed sound. But today listening a little more closely and the 'wow, new stuff' effect has worn off a bit, and I can tell that it's a step down from the Pico which is much smoother, with a much wider, expansive sound stage. Still, the adapter sounds good for what it is, and seems to be particularly well matched to my IEM's.

thanks for the update. It doesn't seem 100% working. You may want to try the USB 3.0 version of the CCK:

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK0W2AM/A/lightning-to-usb-3-camera-adapter

Please let us know if you figure out the root cause. Pico is a nice and compact DAC/amp.

Sep 27, 2016 at 6:59 PM Post #38 of 199
Exciting news from Oppo:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/821363/oppo-relases-updated-ha-2se-headphone-amplifier-with-new-ess-sabre32-reference-es9028-q2m-dac

Sep 28, 2016 at 3:08 PM Post #39 of 199
I have to modify my earlier report of the Pico working through the CCK. I am now noticing a periodic pop in the background of the music. It's quite subtle - and since much of the music I listen to is older, it took me a while to notice it at all because it sounds like a very minor pop you'd get from vinyl, but it's consistently there. I've tried changing cables. Not sure if this came about with 10.0.2 or I just hadn't noticed it. Back to the dongle for the moment.

Sep 28, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #41 of 199
Original CCK. Is this a known issue? I never had any problems in the past.

Sep 28, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #42 of 199
Original CCK. Is this a known issue? I never had any problems in the past.

I've only read that it is a known issue with the 6S+, original CCK and some dacs. But now it's been cropping up about the 7 (not sure if plus or both). I'm going to assume the USB 3 CCK will resolve the issue for the 7 as well.

Oct 16, 2016 at 8:14 AM Post #43 of 199
New member here, but this topic is exactly related to an issue I'm having with my iPhone 7 256gb.  This is in regards to the iPhone 7 paired with the Sound Blaster E5.  I have done extensive troubleshooting, and there is an issue with clicks/pops/skips throughout all tested music files with the iPhone 7.  My old iPhone 6 does not exhibit the issue nor does my iPad pro 9.7 both of which are running iOS 10.0.2.  Therefore, I'm not trying to bash any particular product but I would advise against spending money on an iPhone 7/SBE5 combo at this time until someone figures out the issue. I have posted a bug report to the apple beta program and sent a message to creative labs technical support.  Trying to figure out if this is a hardware or software issue and whether or not my phone needs to be sent back for repair/replacement.  Also, to note, the issue is NOT present with the included 3.5mm to lightning adapter (the only reason I haven't already sent phone for repair).  I have tried the USB 3 camera kit and a male to male USB cable with the Sound Blaster E5 (yes thats alot of cables), and that setup does not work as the external dac is not recognized and does not work at all with the CCK.  Very frustrating issue.  I would honestly like a recommendation from someone for a portable dac-amp combo that is known to actually work with the iPhone 7 without any sound quality issues.  I am willing to change to something else if needed.  Thanks in advance for any help.  

Oct 16, 2016 at 8:31 AM Post #44 of 199
New member here, but this topic is exactly related to an issue I'm having with my iPhone 7 256gb.  This is in regards to the iPhone 7 paired with the Sound Blaster E5.  I have done extensive troubleshooting, and there is an issue with clicks/pops/skips throughout all tested music files with the iPhone 7.  My old iPhone 6 does not exhibit the issue nor does my iPad pro 9.7 both of which are running iOS 10.0.2.  Therefore, I'm not trying to bash any particular product but I would advise against spending money on an iPhone 7/SBE5 combo at this time until someone figures out the issue. I have posted a bug report to the apple beta program and sent a message to creative labs technical support.  Trying to figure out if this is a hardware or software issue and whether or not my phone needs to be sent back for repair/replacement.  Also, to note, the issue is NOT present with the included 3.5mm to lightning adapter (the only reason I haven't already sent phone for repair).  I have tried the USB 3 camera kit and a male to male USB cable with the Sound Blaster E5 (yes thats alot of cables), and that setup does not work as the external dac is not recognized and does not work at all with the CCK.  Very frustrating issue.  I would honestly like a recommendation from someone for a portable dac-amp combo that is known to actually work with the iPhone 7 without any sound quality issues.  I am willing to change to something else if needed.  Thanks in advance for any help.  

The oppo ha-2se is a plug and play for the iphones.

Nov 8, 2016 at 10:10 AM Post #45 of 199
Hi another new member here

So i recently switched to the iphone 7 and i have an oppo HA-2
i was wondering what music player app do i have to use to play my lossless files such as flac and wav
im pretty sure that the standard ios music app won't do right ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back