iPhone 7/7+ Compact External DAC/Amp Thread
Nov 16, 2016 at 6:04 PM Post #61 of 199
Thanks. Will wait for impression/review on HA-2SE. I think it's good option considering that it has built-in Apple CCK and dimension can be easily stacked to iPhone compared with Mojo. Bass boost, gain switches and power bank function sweeten the deal.
Don't forget if you use MFi, as I understand it, output is limited to 16/44.1.

The CCK will give full output, if you have a file that calls for it.

Nov 16, 2016 at 6:25 PM Post #62 of 199
Don't forget if you use MFi, as I understand it, output is limited to 16/44.1.

The CCK will give full output, if you have a file that calls for it.

No MFi can support at least up to 32/384. That is what the Centrance Skyn can do and it use MFi and not CCK. Of course you need a specific player app like Onkyo HF in order to work. iTunes/Apple Music app will only play up to 24/48.

Nov 16, 2016 at 6:32 PM Post #63 of 199
No MFi can support at least up to 32/384. That is what the Centrance Skyn can do and it use MFi and not CCK. Of course you need a specific player app like Onkyo HF in order to work. iTunes/Apple Music app will only play up to 24/48.

My mistake, I was reading off an older device for MFi usage.

Nov 17, 2016 at 1:11 PM Post #64 of 199
I have all my apps and a reasonable amount of music on my new 256GB iPhone 7+ and while it is not yet activated on the mobile network, I have been able to do a few tests..

Unfortunately the old iBasso D10's DAC requires too much power.

However the CEntrance DACportable works a treat via the CCK using Onkyo HF player. The app showed that it was running at 192kHz, although I couldn't find the bit depth.

More impressions to come!

Nov 17, 2016 at 3:26 PM Post #65 of 199
I have all my apps and a reasonable amount of music on my new 256GB iPhone 7+ and while it is not yet activated on the mobile network, I have been able to do a few tests..

Unfortunately the old iBasso D10's DAC requires too much power.

However the CEntrance DACportable works a treat via the CCK using Onkyo HF player. The app showed that it was running at 192kHz, although I couldn't find the bit depth.

More impressions to come!

Thanks for confirming. Centrance makes some quality stuff. I've added the DACPortable to the verified list.

Dec 1, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #67 of 199
Here is a cool accessory for any iPhone:

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK0W2AM/A/lightning-to-usb-3-camera-adapter

This is the updated CCK cable and it does work on iPhones. You don't get USB 3.0 speeds on iPhones, but that's the only difference. What is really cool is that you can now connect any DAC and connect a power cable to your iPhone simultaneously! Use this with any phone stand and you have a nice compact desktop audio setup that will charge your phone at the same time. I've tested this both on Audioquest DFR and Chord Mojo and it works great and supports at least to 192K sampling rate. I bet this even works with DACs that draw more power than iPhone limits because it has it's own power.

I don't know of any way an Android phone can connect to a DAC and charge at the same time.

Dec 2, 2016 at 3:13 AM Post #68 of 199
Here is a cool accessory for any iPhone:

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK0W2AM/A/lightning-to-usb-3-camera-adapter

This is the updated CCK cable and it does work on iPhones. You don't get USB 3.0 speeds on iPhones, but that's the only difference. What is really cool is that you can now connect any DAC and connect a power cable to your iPhone simultaneously! Use this with any phone stand and you have a nice compact desktop audio setup that will charge your phone at the same time. I've tested this both on Audioquest DFR and Chord Mojo and it works great and supports at least to 192K sampling rate. I bet this even works with DACs that draw more power than iPhone limits because it has it's own power.

I don't know of any way an Android phone can connect to a DAC and charge at the same time.
Wireless charging?

Dec 2, 2016 at 12:20 PM Post #69 of 199
Wireless charging?

Possible, but does wireless charging turn on when the USB is connected? Also are there any noise concerns?

Dec 6, 2016 at 12:10 AM Post #71 of 199
Possible, but does wireless charging turn on when the USB is connected? Also are there any noise concerns?

I imagine any good DAC will have jitter elimination built in.

Dec 9, 2016 at 1:41 PM Post #72 of 199
I just got the Audeze Sine with Cipher Cable and I think this will be my go to portable setup. Sound is great and the EQ utility allows you to tweak the freq response to your liking. The setting is stored in the Cipher Cable so the EQ will apply to every music app on your phone. I'm tempted to try their IEM line, but the Sine on ear folds flat and fits in my back pack without any issue.

Update - EQ app is awesome. Saves the EQ setting to the Cipher cable itself so that all music apps get EQ'd. Also battery life is incredible - around 3% battery per hour of play.

Dec 19, 2016 at 2:52 AM Post #74 of 199
New member here, but this topic is exactly related to an issue I'm having with my iPhone 7 256gb.  This is in regards to the iPhone 7 paired with the Sound Blaster E5.  I have done extensive troubleshooting, and there is an issue with clicks/pops/skips throughout all tested music files with the iPhone 7.  My old iPhone 6 does not exhibit the issue nor does my iPad pro 9.7 both of which are running iOS 10.0.2.  Therefore, I'm not trying to bash any particular product but I would advise against spending money on an iPhone 7/SBE5 combo at this time until someone figures out the issue. I have posted a bug report to the apple beta program and sent a message to creative labs technical support.  Trying to figure out if this is a hardware or software issue and whether or not my phone needs to be sent back for repair/replacement.  Also, to note, the issue is NOT present with the included 3.5mm to lightning adapter (the only reason I haven't already sent phone for repair).  I have tried the USB 3 camera kit and a male to male USB cable with the Sound Blaster E5 (yes thats alot of cables), and that setup does not work as the external dac is not recognized and does not work at all with the CCK.  Very frustrating issue.  I would honestly like a recommendation from someone for a portable dac-amp combo that is known to actually work with the iPhone 7 without any sound quality issues.  I am willing to change to something else if needed.  Thanks in advance for any help.  
Hello, I'm having a bit of a problem with my IPhone 7 plus plugged into the E5 via USB host. Every ten minutes or so the music just stops and I have to unplug/plug back in, or switch off the E5, to get it working again.
When the music stops the player also stops so it isn't just the audio cutting out, and it doesn't happen with Bluetooth.
Are you having this problem too? I'm looking for people that have the same gear and the same issue, hoping there's a fix for it.

Dec 21, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #75 of 199
My question is How do I connect from the lightning connector of my Iphone 7 + to USB B like on the back of a Woo WA7??? Id like to avoid multible connections to acheive a sonically solid connection. Any ideas? I cant be the first guy to do it
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back