iPhone 7/7+ Compact External DAC/Amp Thread
Sep 14, 2016 at 8:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 199

bflat

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi All,

I think it would be a good idea for folks who plan to use their iPhone 7/7+ as their portable music player discuss which compact external DAC/amps they are using along with impressions.

What this thread is about:
  1. Compact DAC/amps that can be easily fit in a pocket with the phone
  2. Listening impressions of the DAC/amps
  3. Battery drain/life
  4. Music player apps
  5. Connecting external DAC/amps to iOS 10
  6. Convenience and portability

What this thread is NOT about:
  1. Apple versus Android
  2. Why Apply removed the 3.5mm jack
  3. Streaming versus owning
  4. Lossy versus lossless formats

There will likely be a lot of historical listening impressions of the DACs on this list. Any additional insight into how well these sound with iOS 10 and new iPhone 7/7+ will be great. Also additional context on the usability of these devices in terms of seamless integration to apps and general portability would be awesome. These phones are not cheap and if there is a way to get the same sound as some of the high end DAPs, that would be really cool.

Running List of Verified Working Devices on iOS 10 (Assume no mic or inline controls unless noted)

1. AQ Dragonfly Red with CCK cable (Distorted sound reported by some users)
  2. LH Labs Geekout V2+ with CCK cable
  3. Nexum Aqua for iOS (availability is TBD)
  4. Oppo HA-2
  5. Chord Mojo with CCK
  6. Sound Blaster E5 (Distorted sound reported by some users)
  7. FiiO E18 with CCK
  8. FiiO K1 with CCK
  9. Centrance DACPortable with CCK
  10. Audeze Sine with Cipher Cable w/inline mic and controls (max 48 KHz sampling rate)
  11. Astell Kern XB10 Bluetooth Receiver DAC (native AAC codec, but no lossless for iOS) full mic function
  12. Topping NX4

Impressions and Feedback

http://www.head-fi.org/t/820241/iphone-7-7-compact-external-dac-amp-thread/30#post_12880434

Sep 14, 2016 at 8:45 PM Post #3 of 199
Isn't the oppo ha-2 iOS ready?

The specs say so, if someone could verify for iOS 10 that would be great. That's why I have "verified" in the list.

Sep 14, 2016 at 10:59 PM Post #5 of 199
  If my Centrance Dacportable ships sometime this century I will gladly report on this. 

-Collin-

LOL. I feel for you man! Ironically the Skyn may be really attractive for iPhone 7 owners.

Sep 15, 2016 at 6:23 PM Post #6 of 199
Got my shipping confirmation for my iPhone 7 256GB Black. This weekend, I will be comparing the following portable DACs:

1) Apple lightning audio adapter
2) DFR
3) V2+
4) Mojo (I wouldn't call this really pocketable)

I will be using iAudiogate player with ALAC files and JH Layla and Sony Z5 for IEMs. Would love to see someone post impressions on Cozoy DACs.

Sep 15, 2016 at 8:08 PM Post #7 of 199
Today I received my Apple Lightning-to-3.5mm adapter, upgraded my iPhone 6 to IOS 10, and tried it with my SE846.  I must say, I'm impressed without the sound (relative to the built in jack).  Switching between the headphone jack and the adapter, I sometimes thought there might be a hair less bass but at other times I thought it sounded the same.  It seems about as good as the built in headphone jack.  The only thing I didn't like about it is the cable is very thin, about as thin as the Apple earbuds cable.  It probably wouldn't hold up to rough treatment.

I still suspect there is a DAC inside the cable, though time will tell.  I don't want to destroy mine the first day I bought it to find out.

I'll probably move forward with buying an iPhone 7 now, since my iPhone 6 has been having some hardware problems lately.  I wanted to try the headphone adapter first before deciding on getting an iPhone 7 or an iPhone 6s.

Sep 15, 2016 at 10:04 PM Post #8 of 199
  Today I received my Apple Lightning-to-3.5mm adapter, upgraded my iPhone 6 to IOS 10, and tried it with my SE846.  I must say, I'm impressed without the sound (relative to the built in jack).  Switching between the headphone jack and the adapter, I sometimes thought there might be a hair less bass but at other times I thought it sounded the same.  It seems about as good as the built in headphone jack.  The only thing I didn't like about it is the cable is very thin, about as thin as the Apple earbuds cable.  It probably wouldn't hold up to rough treatment.

I still suspect there is a DAC inside the cable, though time will tell.  I don't want to destroy mine the first day I bought it to find out.

I'll probably move forward with buying an iPhone 7 now, since my iPhone 6 has been having some hardware problems lately.  I wanted to try the headphone adapter first before deciding on getting an iPhone 7 or an iPhone 6s.

yes, there are an build in CODEC ( includes DAC, ADC, and small headphone amp ). we will test the audio performance when we back to work soon.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Sep 15, 2016 at 10:54 PM Post #9 of 199

yes, there are an build in CODEC ( includes DAC, ADC, and small headphone amp ). we will test the audio performance when we back to work soon.

Sweet. I'm really interested in what FiiO has planned for small lightweight lightning DAC/amp.

Sep 16, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #10 of 199
My Nexum AQUA Lightning seems to work just fine with iOS 10, although it only shows up in the audio output options list as "Headphones". I thought there was some mention elsewhere that iOS10 recognizes the external DAC type and displays it somewhere?

Sep 16, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #12 of 199
  My Nexum AQUA Lightning seems to work just fine with iOS 10, although it only shows up in the audio output options list as "Headphones". I thought there was some mention elsewhere that iOS10 recognizes the external DAC type and displays it somewhere?

Is that available for sale now? Don't see it on their website. Only see the Android version and whatever they are saying about iOS, it's in chinese.

Sep 16, 2016 at 3:15 PM Post #13 of 199

Is that available for sale now? Don't see it on their website. Only see the Android version and whatever they are saying about iOS, it's in chinese.

I got mine through their original Kickstarter, so I can't say for sure. It's not the best little DAC/Amp I've ever used, but the packaging and design is lovely and it has a fun sound. I did do a full review a little while ago.

Sep 16, 2016 at 11:43 PM Post #14 of 199

The specs say so, if someone could verify for iOS 10 that would be great. That's why I have "verified" in the list.

I suspect that it is as this was response that I recieved from Oppo:

XXXXX,

We have tested the HA-2 with iOS10 and it is working.

Best Regards, 

Customer Service 
OPPO Digital, Inc.  162 Constitution Dr.
Menlo Park, CA 94025
Service@oppodigital.com 
Tel: 650-961-1118 
Fax: 650-961-1119

*****I currently updated my iPod Touch 6th Gen to IOS 10 which I'm using as a transport to the HA-2 to play Tidal HiFi and it sounds excellent. Can't wait for my iPhone 7+ arrive!******

Users who are viewing this thread

Back