iPhone 6s Sound Quality
Aug 1, 2016 at 6:39 PM Post #797 of 881
  anyone able to get a dac to connect with the iphone?

if the dac is licensed to use apple lightning, then all you need is lightning to lightning.  if not, you have to go with a cck to usb for it to work.

example, cck was needed for the mojo.  oppo ha-2 is licensed, so lightning to lightning will work.

Aug 1, 2016 at 6:44 PM Post #798 of 881
if the dac is licensed to use apple lightning, then all you need is lightning to lightning.  if not, you have to go with a cck to usb for it to work.

example, cck was needed for the mojo.  oppo ha-2 is licensed, so lightning to lightning will work.

Lightning to USB No?

Aug 1, 2016 at 7:16 PM Post #800 of 881

Thanks!

It's annoying having to lug around a dac/amp to get hi fi sound, I've enjoyed the sound from the iphone but definitely doesn't output enough to drive alot of headphones. V10 sounds interesting but again doesn't look like it can play in the big leagues.

Aug 1, 2016 at 10:20 PM Post #801 of 881
Thanks!

It's annoying having to lug around a dac/amp to get hi fi sound, I've enjoyed the sound from the iphone but definitely doesn't output enough to drive alot of headphones. V10 sounds interesting but again doesn't look like it can play in the big leagues.

I have the v10 and you are correct. I'm a power user and use a lot of eq. It doesn't has enough power for me. Plus you have to jump through hoops to have the high gain kick in

Aug 2, 2016 at 11:48 AM Post #802 of 881
Thanks!

Could the way forward be to buy headphones that suit the iPhone?

Aug 2, 2016 at 1:34 PM Post #803 of 881
I've had the Centrance HiFi-Skyn for a month now, and have been very pleased with the sound quality. It's an iPhone case like the Arcam Boost (I use on my 6S) which uses AKM's AK4490 DAC (same DAC as in the AK380 / AK300 players, as well as the Schiit Bifrost) and a pretty powerful amp (does 300mw per channel into 32ohm), with 3 gain settings.

There's a thread dedicated to it, and you'll see a lot of complaints given the many delays, but the reviews on the actual sound quality have been really good. I use it with my JH Angie's and really love the sound.

The only gripe I have with it is the size - it's really quite big when wrapped around my iPhone 6S. The Arcam Boost definitely has it beat in terms of size / design (I think the Boost looks very sleek). However, the trade-off is the Boost's amp is really quite weak (22mw into 32ohms really isn't that much...) It will be fine if you have easy to drive IEMs, but any more difficult high-impedance headphone, the Boost really isn't going to help all that much.

I can't speak to the difference in sound between Boost's DAC (Texas Instrument PCM1502) vs the Skyn's AK4490. The Boost is also significantly cheaper than the Skyn (Boost is US$189 on Newegg vs Skyn's $399), so pros/cons between both.

Aug 6, 2016 at 4:01 AM Post #804 of 881
I have a problem with iPhone's music quality, I tried Googling and haven't seen anyone talking about this issue. In fact, this is not a iPhone 6s problem. I experienced this problem for as long as I can remember - from iPhone 5 or 5s onwards, not too sure about iPhones before that (I change iPhone yearly starting from iPhone 4).

I realize that iPhone's music quality varies at different time. Sometimes the music sounds very lively, sometimes it sounds extremely flat (till the point that I cannot stand it). The music quality seems to change randomly on older iPhones. On my iPhone 6s, the quality degrades A LOT (music sounds extremely flat) when the battery is low (approx. 20-50%). On a fully charged iPhone 6s, the music sounds very lively.

Initially I suspected my headphones/earbuds. But over the years I've listen on different headphones/earbuds and I still experience this problem. Over the years I've used Beats Studio, Bose QC15, QC25, Ajays 5, Monster iSport, Audio Technical IM50, ATH-M50. I own a Retina MacBook Pro 15" 2012, but I do not listen to music on it very often. However during the occasional music listening on my MacBook, I have never experience varying music quality. With this, I suspect that the iPhone itself is causing the problem.

Whenever music quality degrades drastically, I try to improve it. Restarting the phone seldom helps (once in a while it may work). I tried playing with EQ and that doesn't seem to improve the music quality. I tried using many other music player apps (I always use the default Music app), although some different app changes the music quality A LITTLE, however the music still sound flat. With this, I highly suspect it was nothing to do with iPhone's music app. Doing major software upgrade (e.g. iOS 7 to iOS 8) does affect the music quality and frequency of the degradation occurrence. So I have a feeling the OS plays a part as well.

In conclusion to my long post, all my iPhone (not sure how many, but at least 3) faces the problem of variation of music quality (or is it called sound signature?). Sometimes my music sounds great (lively), sometimes it sounds horrible (flat and unbearable). Is there anyone that faces this issue? I've been googling this issue for years, and I do not come across anyone with the same problem.

EDIT: Some casual listeners who multi-task while listening to music (e.g. do work, walking) may not feel the difference. Whenever I listen to music especially at home using Bose QC, I concentrate. I sit in a quiet room, close my eyes and focus on the music. Therefore whenever the music quality degrades, I cannot stand it because it's just sounds so flat :p

Aug 6, 2016 at 4:17 AM Post #805 of 881
Could it be that you ears adjust to the headphone you are listening too? If I listen to the HD 650 for 15 minutes, the HD 800  S sounds thin and bright. If I listen to the HD 800 S for 15 minutes, then the HD 650 sounds muffled, veiled and congested. 

Aug 6, 2016 at 4:29 AM Post #806 of 881
Could it be that you ears adjust to the headphone you are listening too? If I listen to the HD 650 for 15 minutes, the HD 800  S sounds thin and bright. If I listen to the HD 800 S for 15 minutes, then the HD 650 sounds muffled, veiled and congested. 

Nope not possible. I do not switch between headphones/earbuds between each music listening session. In fact, I use my Bose QC most of the time at home, and only use earbuds outside. I remember once I was using Monster iSport outside and the music quality sounds really bad. I reset my iPhone several times and the music suddenly sounded more lively. This happen within 15 mins at the same location.

Aug 6, 2016 at 6:15 AM Post #807 of 881
Nope not possible. I do not switch between headphones/earbuds between each music listening session. In fact, I use my Bose QC most of the time at home, and only use earbuds outside. I remember once I was using Monster iSport outside and the music quality sounds really bad. I reset my iPhone several times and the music suddenly sounded more lively. This happen within 15 mins at the same location.

I listen to my music pretty intently, using high quality in ears. CIEM's in fact. I have never noticed what you describe. Maybe you have better ears than me. All I can suggest is different hardware. A Touch?

Aug 6, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #808 of 881
I have a problem with iPhone's music quality, I tried Googling and haven't seen anyone talking about this issue. In fact, this is not a iPhone 6s problem. I experienced this problem for as long as I can remember - from iPhone 5 or 5s onwards, not too sure about iPhones before that (I change iPhone yearly starting from iPhone 4).

I realize that iPhone's music quality varies at different time. Sometimes the music sounds very lively, sometimes it sounds extremely flat (till the point that I cannot stand it). The music quality seems to change randomly on older iPhones. On my iPhone 6s, the quality degrades A LOT (music sounds extremely flat) when the battery is low (approx. 20-50%). On a fully charged iPhone 6s, the music sounds very lively.

Initially I suspected my headphones/earbuds. But over the years I've listen on different headphones/earbuds and I still experience this problem. Over the years I've used Beats Studio, Bose QC15, QC25, Ajays 5, Monster iSport, Audio Technical IM50, ATH-M50. I own a Retina MacBook Pro 15" 2012, but I do not listen to music on it very often. However during the occasional music listening on my MacBook, I have never experience varying music quality. With this, I suspect that the iPhone itself is causing the problem.

Whenever music quality degrades drastically, I try to improve it. Restarting the phone seldom helps (once in a while it may work). I tried playing with EQ and that doesn't seem to improve the music quality. I tried using many other music player apps (I always use the default Music app), although some different app changes the music quality A LITTLE, however the music still sound flat. With this, I highly suspect it was nothing to do with iPhone's music app. Doing major software upgrade (e.g. iOS 7 to iOS 8) does affect the music quality and frequency of the degradation occurrence. So I have a feeling the OS plays a part as well.

In conclusion to my long post, all my iPhone (not sure how many, but at least 3) faces the problem of variation of music quality (or is it called sound signature?). Sometimes my music sounds great (lively), sometimes it sounds horrible (flat and unbearable). Is there anyone that faces this issue? I've been googling this issue for years, and I do not come across anyone with the same problem.

EDIT: Some casual listeners who multi-task while listening to music (e.g. do work, walking) may not feel the difference. Whenever I listen to music especially at home using Bose QC, I concentrate. I sit in a quiet room, close my eyes and focus on the music. Therefore whenever the music quality degrades, I cannot stand it because it's just sounds so flat :p

On the iboard since 2009 i have never ever felt anything like you talk about, not even close.

If the tonality it's not right, then nothing else really matters.

Aug 7, 2016 at 2:08 AM Post #809 of 881
....In conclusion to my long post, all my iPhone (not sure how many, but at least 3) faces the problem of variation of music quality (or is it called sound signature?). Sometimes my music sounds great (lively), sometimes it sounds horrible (flat and unbearable). Is there anyone that faces this issue? I've been googling this issue for years, and I do not come across anyone with the same problem.

Yep, I experience that as well, but not just from the iPhone, but all sources. For example yesterday I was listening to my Mojo and it was "meh". This morning with the same album it sounds stunning.

So what is this then? Well I've come to the conclusion that it's a psychological thing. With me it happens with all players, headphones, DACs and amps.

I use a pair of RHA T20s on my commute. Some days they sound fantastic. Full, detailed and musical. Other days they can sound thin and quite abrasive, and we're talking about the same or similarly mastered music.

Volume level is another thing. Some days I'm getting my kicks with the iPod's volume at less than half, other days I might find myself pushing the volume to 70% on the same headphones and same music.

When thinking about this, in all honesty the only thing that could have changed is me, in terms of my mood. Sometimes you might think you want to listen to music, but your brain is of another opinion :wink:

Aug 7, 2016 at 4:39 AM Post #810 of 881
Yep, I experience that as well, but not just from the iPhone, but all sources. For example yesterday I was listening to my Mojo and it was "meh". This morning with the same album it sounds stunning.

So what is this then? Well I've come to the conclusion that it's a psychological thing. With me it happens with all players, headphones, DACs and amps.

I use a pair of RHA T20s on my commute. Some days they sound fantastic. Full, detailed and musical. Other days they can sound thin and quite abrasive, and we're talking about the same or similarly mastered music.

Volume level is another thing. Some days I'm getting my kicks with the iPod's volume at less than half, other days I might find myself pushing the volume to 70% on the same headphones and same music.

When thinking about this, in all honesty the only thing that could have changed is me, in terms of my mood. Sometimes you might think you want to listen to music, but your brain is of another opinion :wink:

Yep. I did think this when I read what the OP said but he seemed very specific in his assessments.
I know myself that I can sometimes think that the iPhone sounds somewhat unrefined or lacklustre. Most of the time I just enjoy the music. :)
I have tried using a DAC amp but concluded that while it improved some aspects, others it took away. The iPhone is excellent IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back