iPhone 6s Sound Quality
Oct 12, 2015 at 7:48 AM Post #136 of 881
With my iPhone 6 i have top notch audio with pitch black background regardless of if i'm messing with the phone, apps, wifi or whatever. Does not look to be the case with the 6s.

If the tonality it's not right, then nothing else really matters.

Oct 12, 2015 at 8:03 AM Post #138 of 881
Hmmm. I'd be very reluctant to hobble myself to a previous generation. This is disappointing to say the least. It remains for me to see/hear if it is a real world problem.

Oct 12, 2015 at 8:51 AM Post #139 of 881
I count generarions based on sonic performance. In my head i have the last gen iPhone. The last gen that had a flawless hpo shielding.

I'd take a pitch black headphone port over ram, force touch and megapixels any day. Cause music fills my soul in a way that all other gimmicks combined can not.

But whatever floats your boat.

If you don't get tonality right, nothing else matters.

Oct 12, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #140 of 881
That's a bit broad brushed for the anectodotal evidence we have so far. But I completely understand not wanting to make the purchase until you know how wide spread an issue it is, especially if you cannot easily return it.

Noise concerns aside, my 6S+ is vastly superior to my 5S as a smartphone when it comes to battery life, effectiveness of the thumb reader and readability to my eyes that unfortunately often need reading glasses. Touch force is pretty nice too. While I have a dedicated dap, I like having a good sounding and powerful smartphone, as I do a lot of my computing on it.

Oct 12, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #141 of 881
My 6s+ sounds identical to my 6+ which I gave to my wife. I've tried about 10 high end iems some of them with multiple BA drivers and none have any background noise it's as quiet as my 6+ was.

Oct 12, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #142 of 881
Just got the 6S+   It sounds imo better than the my old 6+ It's very transparent  and  the bass  is more deep and tighter than the 6+. I use it with my sennheiser IE 800 which is considered quite sensitive . I hear no buzzing or hissing or whatever, even when I am busy with other apps  while listening to music. Im very satisfied 

Oct 12, 2015 at 5:20 PM Post #143 of 881
I, as very satisfied 6S user, am interested if you still use the Kaisertone app and would you still recommend it? Would it be a good replacement for Onkyo? Thanks and enjoy your new phone.

Oct 12, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #144 of 881
Because of the nature of the problem, it's really difficult to know what is going on here. Either

• The issue is batch or model related, which explains why some users hear the noise and some don't. So far we've ruled out Samsung vs TSMC chips as being the differentiator. We don't know if it differs by cellular radio model (CDMA vs GMS, etc.), but I've gotten reports from people in Asia Pacific, UK, and US (AT&T).
  • The issue is design related, and the reason why some users don't hear the buzzing is because they are lucky enough not to have any earphones that can pick it up or they aren't listening in environments quiet enough to hear the noise. 

I think one way we can determine if it's batch/model related is to find someone who is using the 6S with a pair of earphones that we already KNOW should be picking up the noise quite obviously in a quiet room, and who can't reproduce the noise. So far some earphones identified as being particularly sensitive to the noise are UE11 (chowk), ATH-IM02, NuForce Primo 8 (me), Heaven V (vwinter), UE600 (yuriv). It's also been told by one Youtube commenter that the noise is apparent on the Shure SE530 but not the UE900, so it's not as simple as my original generalisation that it could only be heard on multi-BA earphones.

If we can find someone who can't reproduce the noise even when we are pretty sure they should, then it would suggest its specific to certain units and we can start to work out what units are affected and which aren't. If we can't find someone who can't reproduce the noise with the same earphones, then it starts to suggest its a widespread thing.

Personally since I tested multiple Apple store units and picked up the buzzing on all of them, I'm leaning towards it being more widespread, or at least related to cellular model. 

Oct 12, 2015 at 5:45 PM Post #145 of 881
The fact that Apple have acknowledged the problem would suggest that it is widespread.
FWIW, I am using Noble K10 in quiet conditions and cannot hear a problem.
That may well be my hearing though. It's not the best! Just to clarify. I should hear a buzzing noise when switching between apps when the music is paused?

Oct 12, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #146 of 881
The fact that Apple have acknowledged the problem would suggest that it is widespread.
FWIW, I am using Noble K10 in quiet conditions and cannot hear a problem.
That may well be my hearing though. It's not the best! Just to clarify. I should hear a buzzing noise when switching between apps when the music is paused?

As far as I know all Apple has just acknowledged is that they've received multiple similar reports, they haven't acknowledge it's a 'problem' per se.

This video should demonstrate many of the situations where you should be hearing the noise, and what it should sort of sound like (it will differ by equipment).

Oct 12, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #147 of 881
I, as very satisfied 6S user, am interested if you still use the Kaisertone app and would you still recommend it? Would it be a good replacement for Onkyo? Thanks and enjoy your new phone.

I have both apps . I personally prefer the Kaisertone App. It gives you tons of tweaking possibilities and it opens up the music , involve you more and gives a more intense experience. But the Onkyio app is also good.  iI think it i matter of taste  and the synergy  between the app and the head gear  How it works out for you i don't know . But i think you can't go wrong with both apps . The only way to find out if it is something for you, is to try it out. 

Oct 12, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #148 of 881
As far as I know all Apple has just acknowledged is that they've received multiple similar reports, they haven't acknowledge it's a 'problem' per se.

This video should demonstrate many of the situations where you should be hearing the noise, and what it should sort of sound like (it will differ by equipment).

Thanks for that. Nope. Cannot replicate any of that. (Didn't try downloading from Apple but did use Tidal with no problem. )

Oct 12, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #149 of 881
Thanks for that. Nope. Cannot replicate any of that. (Didn't try downloading from Apple but did use Tidal with no problem. )

Quick question, just a hunch, are you on CDMA or GSM?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back