iPhone 6 & 6 Plus Audio Quality
Mar 25, 2016 at 3:18 PM Post #1,711 of 1,973

I would say the Iphone 6+ sounded more closer to classic DAC port than AK240 and when i switch them all around, I did not miss any thing in the music between these 3. And after several weeks, I have decided to sell my AK240 as I think I can live by the Iphone 6+ with lossless Tidal apps. It sounded "audiophile" enough for me that I don't miss a thing with Ak240. 

I A/B the 240 and my iPhone 6+ and found them worthy contenders.  IMO, the 240 digs deeper and sometimes I think my K-10s actually vibrate like a speaker membrane, which I do not hear from the 6+. So for me, the 240 gives an extra 10% (if I had to quantify) more.  

The big negative is storage.  I use 360 gigs right now, with room for another 75 which if I have waiting to be put on.  At 128, the 6+ is not going to work for me.

I also have the much sought after iPod 5.5(?) with the Wolfson DAC and rockboxed.  It is held together with a thick rubberband! LOL  I should get it charged and A/B with the 240 and 6+ to compare.

Mar 25, 2016 at 8:18 PM Post #1,712 of 1,973

Yeah Agee. The space issue and lack of power would make some DAP still relevant. I solve it by subscribing to tidal but there are some music not in there.. I still need to transfer it to iphone. I wish the iphone 7 would have a 256gb

Mar 26, 2016 at 3:24 AM Post #1,713 of 1,973
Yeah Agee. The space issue and lack of power would make some DAP still relevant. I solve it by subscribing to tidal but there are some music not in there.. I still need to transfer it to iphone. I wish the iphone 7 would have a 256gb

I wish the iPhone 7 would have a headphone jack.
blink.gif

Mar 26, 2016 at 11:18 PM Post #1,714 of 1,973
I'm a bit confused, can someone clear this up?

Everywhere I read that the iPhone does not support 24-bit audio, yet I have 24-bit ALAC tracks in my library and they sync and play on my iPhone 6+, no external DAC attached. Is that info old? 

Mar 27, 2016 at 12:06 AM Post #1,715 of 1,973

Everywhere I read that the iPhone does not support 24-bit audio, yet I have 24-bit ALAC tracks in my library and they sync and play on my iPhone 6+, no external DAC attached. Is that info old? 

The device is just truncating it to 16 bits from the headphone out. If you have 24 bit / 48 kHz tracks it will just spit out 16 bit / 48 kHz.

Mar 29, 2016 at 8:13 AM Post #1,716 of 1,973
  Found this thread. Its a wonderful read. I have been using alot of DAP & DAC/AMP for many years until I accidentally discover that the Iphone 6plus sound quality holds up very well against these DAP. Never thought Iphone would sound as good as dedicated DAP. I am using HEX and K10 CIEM and both sound really good. After some comparison with previous IPhone, the 6+ sound the best> I guess Apple finally nail it this time. 

So after lots of A/Bing between my Iphone 6+ and AK240. I have concluded (IMO) that the Iphone 6+ sound quality is really really close to the AK240. There are lots of differences, but the Iphone 6+ sounded as pleasing as the AK240. They are different tonally but I don;t believe the AK240 blow the Iphone 6+ out of the water this time round (as I have seen so many mention around here). I am using Tidal lossless for comparison/ vol match. 

Well the thing to note is Iphone 6+ bass is a little loose but sometimes this imperfect does make it more pleasing. Just like the HD800 bass is fast and tight, but I don't enjoy this kind of bass and would rather prefer the TH900 or HEX. Some loosness and a slight slowness make the bass especially Jazz sounded more live and bouncy" Don't get me wrong, the looseness is only very slight and in no way decay more than it should. It still fast enough and it add the impression of having deeper bass. I also do find the Iphone 6+ having slightly more treble presence than AK240 but in no way going into sibilance level. They are both as detail..

I strap an amp (Pico slim) to the output for further testing. The Pico slim did not contribute much to the overall enjoyment but make it worse as it affected very badly by the RF interference while walking about. I remove it for good.,

I would say the Iphone 6+ sounded more closer to classic DAC port than AK240 and when i switch them all around, I did not miss any thing in the music between these 3. And after several weeks, I have decided to sell my AK240 as I think I can live by the Iphone 6+ with lossless Tidal apps. It sounded "audiophile" enough for me that I don't miss a thing with Ak240. 

Thanks for this thread as I was about to make one after my exciting accidental discovery. I do want to note that either you get a very good DAP like the Q1PR or AK 240/380 for high res files or use the Iphone 6+ for normal lossless CD. Strapping an M8 or Pico slim does not make much differences... they will make a big diff with previous Ipod/Imod and older iphone but not with Iphone 6+. If you have a friend to do blind testing and volume match, try it yourself .. I have many friends that fail to find the differences in one of those test and when one is not blind tested, they tend to choose the one with the amp as having better sound quality.. the brain like to see powerful machine attached to the phone to make it more audiophile and diff so it must sound better. IN fact, there are many dedicated amps/dac and even lower cost DAP that sound worse than the Iphone 6+ . Some sound muddy, but I have read others interpreted it as warmer and smooth as a way to justify for the additional machine strap to it with huge RF interference. but I do not want to mention them here. 

This is only for Iphone 6+, I have not try the iphone SE or 6s so I cannot present any findings. But I like the iphone 6+ HP out so far.. 

I bought an iPhone 6S by a few months but I never used to listen to music. One night in the hotel, I had forgotten my audiophile portable setup consists AK100II, Westone W40 and ifi ican nano. I bought in a department store from 10 EUR headphone CSL 640 and ... miracle !!! . non believe my ears !!..il sound was pleasant, luxurious, very very good !!
At home I did a test between my AK100 and the iPhone 6s with the same headphones and the differences are very difficult to notice. I decided that for me is too convenient to have a single device and a single headphone, no longer even use the amplifier and I sold my prestigious dap. I'm glad to read that others have had the same experience, we are mature audiophiles we no longer be taken for fools.
Thank you all

Mar 29, 2016 at 4:49 PM Post #1,717 of 1,973

Found this thread. Its a wonderful read. I have been using alot of DAP & DAC/AMP for many years until I accidentally discover that the Iphone 6plus sound quality holds up very well against these DAP. Never thought Iphone would sound as good as dedicated DAP. I am using HEX and K10 CIEM and both sound really good. After some comparison with previous IPhone, the 6+ sound the best> I guess Apple finally nail it this time. 

So after lots of A/Bing between my Iphone 6+ and AK240. I have concluded (IMO) that the Iphone 6+ sound quality is really really close to the AK240. There are lots of differences, but the Iphone 6+ sounded as pleasing as the AK240. They are different tonally but I don;t believe the AK240 blow the Iphone 6+ out of the water this time round (as I have seen so many mention around here). I am using Tidal lossless for comparison/ vol match. 

Well the thing to note is Iphone 6+ bass is a little loose but sometimes this imperfect does make it more pleasing. Just like the HD800 bass is fast and tight, but I don't enjoy this kind of bass and would rather prefer the TH900 or HEX. Some loosness and a slight slowness make the bass especially Jazz sounded more live and bouncy" Don't get me wrong, the looseness is only very slight and in no way decay more than it should. It still fast enough and it add the impression of having deeper bass. I also do find the Iphone 6+ having slightly more treble presence than AK240 but in no way going into sibilance level. They are both as detail..

I strap an amp (Pico slim) to the output for further testing. The Pico slim did not contribute much to the overall enjoyment but make it worse as it affected very badly by the RF interference while walking about. I remove it for good.,

Thanks for this thread as I was about to make one after my exciting accidental discovery. I do want to note that either you get a very good DAP like the Q1PR or AK 240/380 for high res files or use the Iphone 6+ for normal lossless CD. Strapping an M8 or Pico slim does not make much differences... they will make a big diff with previous Ipod/Imod and older iphone but not with Iphone 6+. If you have a friend to do blind testing and volume match, try it yourself .. I have many friends that fail to find the differences in one of those test and when one is not blind tested, they tend to choose the one with the amp as having better sound quality.. the brain like to see powerful machine attached to the phone to make it more audiophile and diff so it must sound better. IN fact, there are many dedicated amps/dac and even lower cost DAP that sound worse than the Iphone 6+ . Some sound muddy, but I have read others interpreted it as warmer and smooth as a way to justify for the additional machine strap to it with huge RF interference. but I do not want to mention them here. 

This is only for Iphone 6+, I have not try the iphone SE or 6s so I cannot present any findings. But I like the iphone 6+ HP out so far.. 

I bought an iPhone 6S by a few months but I never used to listen to music. One night in the hotel, I had forgotten my audiophile portable setup consists AK100II, Westone W40 and ifi ican nano. I bought in a department store from 10 EUR headphone CSL 640 and ... miracle !!! . non believe my ears !!..il sound was pleasant, luxurious, very very good !!
At home I did a test between my AK100 and the iPhone 6s with the same headphones and the differences are very difficult to notice. I decided that for me is too convenient to have a single device and a single headphone, no longer even use the amplifier and I sold my prestigious dap. I'm glad to read that others have had the same experience, we are mature audiophiles we no longer be taken for fools.
Thank you all

I had a similar experience.    I had two different well known mini amps and in the end felt my iPhone 6 was equal to them.  

Mar 29, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #1,718 of 1,973

Also, if you are using iTunes to sync there is a check box that will convert everything to a certain bit rate of AAC. Might want to check how you are setup.

Mar 30, 2016 at 12:23 PM Post #1,719 of 1,973

I had a similar experience.    I had two different well known mini amps and in the end felt my iPhone 6 was equal to them.  

You guys can add me to the list.

I felt a bit ludicrous using a brick or an outboard amp instead of just my iPhone 6 with my iems (Shure SE846 & Westone W30). It sounds so good!

Mar 30, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #1,720 of 1,973

I felt a bit ludicrous using a brick or an outboard amp instead of just my iPhone 6 with my iems (Shure SE846 & Westone W30). It sounds so good!

Me too. The iPhone sounds great. I agree in blind tests one would be hard pressed to tell the difference between the iPhone 6 and a good DAC. So I just take the iPhone when I travel. I save space by converting many of my songs to AAC 320kbps. I do think there is an audible difference on some tracks, but it seems a waste to fill up so much space with files containing differences that will be inaudible on a plane! 

Mar 30, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #1,721 of 1,973

Elfary, good to read your posts always! I would like to ask you something; do you still use the 6 like me? Didn't you finally jump on the 6s? Sound quality seems equal but this 1 ohm higher output impedance of the 6s is said to cause some possible distortion on some iems with quite low impedance or/and higher sensitivity. What do you think? Also what will you do with the iPhone SE? Are you thinking about it? Seems like it's implemented as the 5s but with all new processor and most importantly without the 3D Touch which may be the cause of the slight background noises on 6s. What's your opinion?

I always loved smaller devices...This 6 still seems big to me, even after almost one year of continuous use...

All the best...

Mar 30, 2016 at 1:42 PM Post #1,722 of 1,973

I tend to agree. iDevices appear to get little love here on head-fi. Maybe that's because some of the earlier devices had questionable sound quality, but these days that's not the case. Or maybe it's because they don't actually cost the earth like the AK stuff does. Or maybe it's just that people hate Apple.

In any case I've found that iDevices give some of the best portable audio quality around.

Mar 30, 2016 at 4:17 PM Post #1,723 of 1,973
Elfary, good to read your posts always! I would like to ask you something; do you still use the 6 like me? Didn't you finally jump on the 6s? Sound quality seems equal but this 1 ohm higher output impedance of the 6s is said to cause some possible distortion on some iems with quite low impedance or/and higher sensitivity. What do you think? Also what will you do with the iPhone SE? Are you thinking about it? Seems like it's implemented as the 5s but with all new processor and most importantly without the 3D Touch which may be the cause of the slight background noises on 6s. What's your opinion?

I always loved smaller devices...This 6 still seems big to me, even after almost one year of continuous use...

All the best...

Thanks for your kind words.

I stick to my iPhone 6 and intend to do so until Apple rolls out a 256gb iPhone.

For the last couple of years i'm no longer purchasing stuff when i can, i just purchase stuff when it adds a sustained value to my lifestyle. I don't think 6s adds much.

I tried quite a few iPhone 6s (with SE846s and SE535s) and there was random emi noise going on on all of them. A few weeks back i got (on a week long loan) an iPhone 6s Plus and it sounded pretty good but upon unlocking, invoking Siri and some other instances i could heard the background buzzing. I could have lived with it very well but on the other hand i don't like regressions on the key performance area.

As for the size goes...if my good old iPhone 5s had shipped with 128gb i don't think i would have jumped on the 6 bandwagon.

Mar 30, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #1,724 of 1,973

I stick to my iPhone 6 and intend to do so until Apple rolls out a 256gb iPhone.

For the last couple of years i'm no longer purchasing stuff when i can, i just purchase stuff when it adds a sustained value to my lifestyle. I don't think 6s adds much.

I tried quite a few iPhone 6s (with SE846s and SE535s) and there was random emi noise going on on all of them. A few weeks back i got (on a week long loan) an iPhone 6s Plus and it sounded pretty good but upon unlocking, invoking Siri and some other instances i could heard the background buzzing. I could have lived with it very well but on the other hand i don't like regressions on the key performance area.

As for the size goes...if my good old iPhone 5s had shipped with 128gb i don't think i would have jumped on the 6 bandwagon.

Thanks Elfary. I see your point. I am curious to check though how the headphone out of the SE will perform and if it will present the known buzzing...

Yes it's true that 64gb of storage is a handicap but it was good news I think seeing Apple offering again a small and charming device as well as adding some last tech in it.

Best wishes...

Apr 13, 2016 at 9:45 AM Post #1,725 of 1,973

Ugh, did the buzzing stop after awhile?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back