iPhone 6 & 6 Plus Audio Quality
Oct 24, 2014 at 5:17 AM Post #376 of 1,973
Apologies in advance if this has already been covered, but I'm considering upgrading to an iphone 5s or 6 and want to know if the lightning to usb adapter can be plugged directly into my DAC, using the iphone as a source as I currently use my laptop?

Oct 24, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #377 of 1,973
Hello,

As you may have heard a jailbreak has been released for iOS 8/8.1 which is a good news for everyone owning an european version of iPhone 6/6 plus.

Has anyone checked the value of volumelimits/headphone on /var/mobile/library/preferences/com.apple.celestial.plist% for non-european iPhone 6/6+ ?

Thanks for your help

Don't get too excited yet. iFile which is used to remove the EU volume limit doesn't work on the iOS 8 jailbreak yet. When it does work then I might get an iPhone 6.

Oct 24, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #378 of 1,973
The funny thing is, on my European iPhone 6 64GB there's actually an option that states I can turn the EU-volumelimit off. Isn't that option enough to have the same volume level as a non-European iPhone, or am I missing something here?

Oct 24, 2014 at 12:15 PM Post #379 of 1,973
  The funny thing is, on my European iPhone 6 64GB there's actually an option that states I can turn the EU-volumelimit off. Isn't that option enough to have the same volume level as a non-European iPhone, or am I missing something here?

Yes, you are missing to read previous posts. 
wink.gif

Oct 24, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #381 of 1,973
Don't get too excited yet. iFile which is used to remove the EU volume limit doesn't work on the iOS 8 jailbreak yet. When it does work then I might get an iPhone 6.

What can you do with iFile but not with Apple File Conduit 2? 

And apparently there's an iFile fix.. Check /r/jailbreak.

Oct 25, 2014 at 12:30 AM Post #382 of 1,973
Finally caved in and ordered an iPhone 6 plus 128 gb space grey. I'll get it in about 3-4 weeks. In the meantime I have to contemplate whether I should put my top limited files in lossless or batch convert a lot of albums to AAC to have a bigger library. 

Oct 25, 2014 at 1:37 AM Post #383 of 1,973
  Finally caved in and ordered an iPhone 6 plus 128 gb space grey. I'll get it in about 3-4 weeks. In the meantime I have to contemplate whether I should put my top limited files in lossless or batch convert a lot of albums to AAC to have a bigger library. 

If I was contemplating putting top limited files in lossless or batch converting to AAC, I would do both to a few songs, and blind test A/B those two versions of the same songs with the iPhone 6 Plus.  If I could discern a difference between the two, I would pick the one that sounds better and do that for as much of the library as I can.  If I can not discern a difference that favors the higher file size songs, I would just stick with uploading songs that has the lower file size to have a larger library of songs.  That would make the most sense in my opinion instead of choosing one way and finding out later that choosing the one way (without listening to the files on the iPhone 6 Plus itself first) may be all in 'vain'.  Just a suggestion.  
regular_smile .gif

Oct 25, 2014 at 6:22 AM Post #384 of 1,973
Posting back my findings testing the same Flac file (Edge Of Desire from John Mayer's Battle Studdies) on both my LG G Pro (running Kit Kat 4.4.2) and an iPhone 5S running at iOS 8.1.
In the hardware settings of Neutron Media player on both iOS and Android I can see following (interestingly different) details:

iPhone 5S (hardware supporting 64 bit processing)
CPU : ARMv7 + Neon
VEC : NEON
DRV : Apple: AURemoteIO

Channels : 2 (max:2)    Bits 64 (output: 8.24)
Frequency : 44100       Latency 46 (min: 5)

no option to change sample rate frequency...

LG G Pro (hardware not supporting 64 bit processing, only Android Lolipop and newer devices do...) nevertheless 64 bit is selected in options :wink:
CPU : ARM7 + Neon
VEC : -
DRV: OpenSL ES (choice between OpenSL ES and generic driver)

Channels : 2 (max:2)   Bits 64 (output: 16)
Frequency : 48000      Latency 256 (min:96)

again no option to change sample rate frequency...

Looks like in my G Pro the sample rate is up-sampled to 48kHz ? 

Here are my observations:

There is a slight improvement on the iPhone 5S now... after updating from 8.0.2 to 8.1 a bit more warmth has been re-introduced without any over emphasising at any other frequency ranges. The sibilants are a bit cleaner, less harsh. 
Generally speaking updating to 8.1 improved the 5S in terms of sound quality ... I have no access to iPhone 6 or 6 plus but I assume it could be very similar.

Comparing my Android LG G Pro vs the iPhone 5S I now prefer the iPhone 5S's sound as it has a bit stronger dynamics ( better signal-to-noise ratio due to the better DAC), seems cleaner, a bit better defined lows but still keeping warmth and detailed clean sibilants as on the G Pro... I never experienced listening fatigue using my Westone UM Pro50 but found the iPhone 5S on 8.0.2 initially sounding less warm and a bit harsher in the details as on the G Pro.
That previous tendency to harshness causing possible listening fatigue has now disappeared with the upgrade to 8.1.

This has convinced me to seriously considering an iPhone 6 or 6 plus now...

Oct 25, 2014 at 9:55 AM Post #386 of 1,973
Straight out of iPhone without external DAC I know it's best to go with AAC. As a transport, I'm not sure if the iPhone can swing the juice. Also, I really wish lossless streaming would come to iPhone here in Canada (Qobuz, Tidal, Wimp). I think that would be the best solution altogether.

Quick question about Spotify Premium. I know that when you're connected to wi-fi there is both 320 streaming on computer and iOS devices. Is it still able to 320 stream on data? I remember hearing that mobile devices connect differently with Spotify than desktop devices which influences the why it generally costs more to have streaming on iOS devices as well rather than just on desktop stuff. Music Unlimited charges more for mobile devices as well.

Oct 25, 2014 at 10:41 AM Post #387 of 1,973
  Quick question about Spotify Premium. I know that when you're connected to wi-fi there is both 320 streaming on computer and iOS devices. Is it still able to 320 stream on data? I remember hearing that mobile devices connect differently with Spotify than desktop devices which influences the why it generally costs more to have streaming on iOS devices as well rather than just on desktop stuff. Music Unlimited charges more for mobile devices as well.

You can choose the quality level you wish to use. Most of the time, I play synched music stored on my device while on wifi (you can choose which playlists, albums, etc. to store.) Also, you can download music for offline playback. And by synching with computer, you can play personal MP3 files which Spotify does not have. (On Android, these local files can also be seen and played by other players, but have not tried this with iOS.

Oct 26, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #388 of 1,973
Spent a couple of hours at an Apple Store trying an iPhone 6/6 Plus. My findings are as strange as subjective:

1. I prefer my iPhone 5s as i deem it as cleaner, tighter and more open.

2. The iPhone 6 sounds better than the 6 plus: a bit cleaner and defined. That puzzles me as did not count on it.

As for the industrial design to me this crop is the ugliest iPhone iteration since release.

Thus i've ruled out the 6 Plus and i will be trying again the 6 (but the 5s is a tough mother...to mess with sound wise).

Running seems like a great idea until you actually start running

Oct 26, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #389 of 1,973
I agree with you 100%. I have read all your posts in this thread and i can say that i appreciate greatly the way that you care every detail, giving accurate information, as well as being straight and knowledgeable regarding your comparison results. I own a 5s, i have listened on the 6 and i believe that the 5s has a unique sound which is much more open and detailed than the one of the 6. I compare the DAC of the iPhone 5s with the one of an Apogee One for iPad and Mac on Tannoy 802 Reveal speakers and not only i find no real difference, but in some cases i find better the sound of 5s’ DAC. The 6 does not give you the same feeling of openness and sparkle.

I own a US 5s, certainly without the volume problem of the EU phones. What i wanted to comment to you though is that unlocked US iPhones can be found quite easily in Athens-Greece, where i live. It came to me as a surprise reading on your earlier posts that you went through a rather tough procedure in Spain to get your US iPhone, even though in Greece there are shops which import iPhones, out of the formal imports that Vodafone or any other carrier makes, and most of them are unlocked, imported from North America. Also since most consumers are not aware or do not care about the volume matter, it is easy to find and buy a US iPhone from those shops, since there is no special demand for them. Also these shops are much cheaper than Vodafone for example. As a result you can buy a US phone with much less money that what you would give to Vodafone store to buy a EU phone! And plus you pay much less monthly, since you do not use the Vodafone phone purchase’s discount to actually buy a phone, but instead you use it for a great monthly plan discount...        

Oct 27, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #390 of 1,973
Spent a couple of hours at an Apple Store trying an iPhone 6/6 Plus. My findings are as strange as subjective:

1. I prefer my iPhone 5s as i deem it as cleaner, tighter and more open.

2. The iPhone 6 sounds better than the 6 plus: a bit cleaner and defined. That puzzles me as did not count on it.

As for the industrial design to me this crop is the ugliest iPhone iteration since release.

Thus i've ruled out the 6 Plus and i will be trying again the 6 (but the 5s is a tough mother...to mess with sound wise).

Running seems like a great idea until you actually start running

I think it's a  matter of personal preference which sound you prefer. Me and my wife came both from a iphone 5S. My wife has the 6 and I the 6+. Our experence is that the 6 and the 6+ sound better  ( more open and more controled) and a better recognation of the individual instruments, than the 5S. especially after the new update IOS8.1.I can also asure you that the 6 and the 6+ sound exactly the same there is no difference .I think the iphone 6+ is a little more louder than the 6 . According to Apple they shoud sound the same, because both the 6 and 6+ are identical in therms of design  and used components . Both have the same  Cirrus logic 338s1201 audio codec. I think the iphone 6+ used in the test at" What HiFI" was by chance a bad copy,.ohterwise there is not explaination.  Maybe you should listen again to a  updated 6

Users who are viewing this thread

Back