iPhone 6 & 6 Plus Audio Quality
Oct 12, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #241 of 1,973
How did you find the X1 in comparison? Thinking of getting the X1 due to the line out and micro SD card support, but only if there is a decent difference to the iPhone 6.

The iPhone 6 and 6+ can't really compare with the Fiio X1, I mean, you're comparing a dedicated DAP with a smartphone here.  Of course the specialized device will win against a jack-of-all trades.  They're leagues apart.

Oct 12, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #242 of 1,973
  The iPhone 6 and 6+ can't really compare with the Fiio X1, I mean, you're comparing a dedicated DAP with a smartphone here.  Of course the specialized device will win against a jack-of-all trades.  They're leagues apart.

Do you have an iPhone 6 or 6 Plus?

Oct 12, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #243 of 1,973
Oct 12, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #244 of 1,973
  Nope, but given smartphone sq compared to dap sq, it's no competition.

So you don't currently own the iPhone 6 or 6 Plus, yet the 'leagues apart' and 'no competition' claims are stated.  Interesting.

In my honest opinion (I have stated this in other threads) I believe the iPhone (especially the iPhone 5S and 6) are not leagues apart regarding boutique DAPs and are competitive with a lot of the DAPs on the market.  I have demoed some of the best top of the line DAPs, as the AK120II and AK240 are regarded as the 'best' overall DAPs on the market currently, and even those I do not feel are leagues apart from the iPhone 5S or 6 at all (especially when you utilize great sounding apps).  I would call them an incremental improvement, and as such, when dealing with the fact that a DAP cannot function as a phone or text or do anything else besides play back media, that's what makes the 5S, 6, G3 and others such great devices.  I do not even like carrying around an amp with me, as that is a second device that I have to carry around for an up to 5-15% gain in SQ if you are using balanced "maybe" (based on various factors).  I am all about carrying one device that can do it all and sounds 95-100% + as good as most of the DAPs out on the market right now.  Anyways, the only component that I felt (portable-wise) listening to that in my opinion is a marked difference/improvement in sound quality was not a DAP, it is the Chord Hugo, as it sounds better than even the AK240.

Oct 12, 2014 at 6:07 PM Post #245 of 1,973

Hmmm....   well I guess I could say lets compare the DSD playback from the iphone 6 to the X1 DSD playback....  but I don't think the X1 plays DSD files???

Oct 12, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #246 of 1,973

So you don't currently own the iPhone 6 or 6 Plus, yet the 'leagues apart' and 'no competition' claims are stated.  Interesting.

In my honest opinion (I have stated this in other threads) I believe the iPhone (especially the iPhone 5S and 6) are not leagues apart regarding boutique DAPs and are competitive with a lot of the DAPs on the market.  I have demoed some of the best top of the line DAPs, as the AK120II and AK240 are regarded as the 'best' overall DAPs on the market currently, and even those I do not feel are leagues apart from the iPhone 5S or 6 at all (especially when you utilize great sounding apps).  I would call them an incremental improvement, and as such, when dealing with the fact that a DAP cannot function as a phone or text or do anything else besides play back media, that's what makes the 5S, 6, G3 and others such great devices.  I do not even like carrying around an amp with me, as that is a second device that I have to carry around for an up to 5-15% gain in SQ if you are using balanced "maybe" (based on various factors).  I am all about carrying one device that can do it all and sounds 95-100% + as good as most of the DAPs out on the market right now.  Anyways, the only component that I felt (portable-wise) listening to that in my opinion is a marked difference/improvement in sound quality was not a DAP, it is the Chord Hugo, as it sounds better than even the AK240.

Well, thanks for the explanation.  I stand corrected.  What I don't understand if what you are saying is true, then why anyone would buy a dedicated DAP rather than just get a smartphone that has comparable sq.  I've heard one of my friend's DX50 and felt that it sounded much better than any smartphone I've ever listened to, so I assumed that it would be the same between the iPhone and X1.
  Hmmm....   well I guess I could say lets compare the DSD playback from the iphone 6 to the X1 DSD playback....  but I don't think the X1 plays DSD files???

I'm not sure if the X1 supports DSD either, you should contact them at: support@fiio.net
At this point, I'm not sure if there's a that much of a huge difference between the X1 and the iPhone 6, you should probably ask moedawg140 if it's worth getting the X1 over the iPhone 6.

Oct 12, 2014 at 7:03 PM Post #247 of 1,973
  Well, thanks for the explanation.  I stand corrected.  What I don't understand if what you are saying is true, then why would anyone buy a dedicated DAC rather than just get a smartphone that has comparable sq.  I've head one of my friend's DX50 and felt that it sounded much better than any smartphone I've ever listened to, so I assumed that it would be the same between the iPhone and X1.
I'm not sure if the X1 supports DSD either, you should contact them at: support@fiio.net
At this point, I'm not sure if there's a that much of a huge difference between the X1 and the iPhone 6, you should probably ask moedawg140 if it's worth getting the X1 over the iPhone 6.

There are a multitude of reasons why people want to purchase various DAPs, smartphones, headphones/earphones, amps, and use them single-ended, balanced and the like.  All of these choices does not mean that one is better over the other.  But to flat out say the boutique DAPs you have mentioned are 'leagues apart' and are 'no competition', that is just a claim that I can not comprehend at all.

It is great that you think your friend's DX50 sounds so much better than any smartphone you have listened to, which means that may very well be a DAP for you to obtain in the future if you are looking for an upgrade from your X1.  

So now you say there may not be a huge difference between the X1 and the iPhone 6.  I do not think that Dixter was asking you if it was worth getting the X1 over the iPhone 6, as Dixter was wondering if the X1 was even capable of DSD file playback.  All that I'm saying is if you are going to claim something, it would be great to have some evidence to back your claims up.  To answer your and Dixter's inquiries regarding the X1 DSD playback, the FiiO X1 and the X3 (stock firmware) are not capable of DSD playback, but the X5 is.  The X1 supports APE, FLAC, WAV, WMA, AAC, OGG, MP3, MP2 at up to 192kHz/24bits.

If Dixter or you hypothetically asked me if the X1 was worth getting over the iPhone 6, I'm already the wrong person to ask and both of you know my answer by now.  There is no DAP out on the market that is over 2 thousand dollars (U.S.) of an improvement over the iPhone 6 or 500 dollars of an improvement for that matter.  You'll get much better 'gains' from a balanced amp like the RSA - The Intruder or a superstar DAC/amp like the Hugo.  Everything else is supremely subjective, and not worth it for the extra device to pay for and carry (and possibly worry about misplacing/getting stolen) in addition to the smartphone, in my honest opinion.

Oct 12, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #248 of 1,973

There are a multitude of reasons why people want to purchase various DAPs, smartphones, headphones/earphones, amps, and use them single-ended, balanced and the like.  All of these choices does not mean that one is better over the other.  But to flat out say the boutique DAPs you have mentioned are 'leagues apart' and are 'no competition', that is just a claim that I can not comprehend at all.

It is great that you think your friend's DX50 sounds so much better than any smartphone you have listened to, which means that may very well be a DAP for you to obtain in the future if you are looking for an upgrade from your X1.  

So now you say there may not be a huge difference between the X1 and the iPhone 6.  I do not think that Dixter was asking you if it was worth getting the X1 over the iPhone 6, as Dixter was wondering if the X1 was even capable of DSD file playback.  All that I'm saying is if you are going to claim something, it would be great to have some evidence to back your claims up.  To answer your and Dixter's inquiries regarding the X1 DSD playback, the FiiO X1 and the X3 (stock firmware) are not capable of DSD playback, but the X5 is.  The X1 supports APE, FLAC, WAV, WMA, AAC, OGG, MP3, MP2 at up to 192kHz/24bits.

If Dixter or you hypothetically asked me if the X1 was worth getting over the iPhone 6, I'm already the wrong person to ask and both of you know my answer by now.  There is no DAP out on the market that is over 2 thousand dollars (U.S.) of an improvement over the iPhone 6 or 500 dollars of an improvement for that matter.  You'll get much better 'gains' from a balanced amp like the RSA - The Intruder or a superstar DAC/amp like the Hugo.  Everything else is supremely subjective, and not worth it for the extra device to pay for and carry (and possibly worry about misplacing/getting stolen) in addition to the smartphone, in my honest opinion.

Thanks for answering Dixter's question about DSD support!
When I listened to my friend's DX50, it blew away any of the smartphones I've listened to, so I imagined the same would happen between the iPhone 6 and X1, considering that it's a comparison between a smartphone and DAP as well.
The problem with recommending such an expensive amp is because, well, it's expensive.  Rensc wanted to know if it was worth getting the X1, an entry level DAP, which probably means that he's on a bit of a budget and can't just drop $700 or $2,500 on an amp.  It would help if you could suggest a cheaper (around $100) amp?  Maybe the Cayin C5 or Fiio e12/e12a?
Quote:
How did you find the X1 in comparison? Thinking of getting the X1 due to the line out and micro SD card support, but only if there is a decent difference to the iPhone 6.

I was replying to rensc, who asked in an earlier post if there was a decent difference in sq to the iPhone 6, when I commented how much of a difference there was in sq between the iPhone 6 and the X1.

Oct 12, 2014 at 10:41 PM Post #249 of 1,973
  Thanks for answering Dixter's question about DSD support!
When I listened to my friend's DX50, it blew away any of the smartphones I've listened to, so I imagined the same would happen between the iPhone 6 and X1, considering that it's a comparison between a smartphone and DAP as well.
The problem with recommending such an expensive amp is because, well, it's expensive.  Rensc wanted to know if it was worth getting the X1, an entry level DAP, which probably means that he's on a bit of a budget and can't just drop $700 or $2,500 on an amp.  It would help if you could suggest a cheaper (around $100) amp?  Maybe the Cayin C5 or Fiio e12/e12a?

I was replying to rensc, who asked in an earlier post if there was a decent difference in sq to the iPhone 6, when I commented how much of a difference there was in sq between the iPhone 6 and the X1.

No worries.  Yeah, just imagining and then coming to a conclusion/stating hyperbole without evidence to back it up isn't the best thing to do.  

I only stated a couple of amps that I feel first-hand make a difference regarding sound regardless of the price.  You made an assumption again, this time regarding rensc, saying "which probably means that he's on a bit of a budget", as he or she may have the money to purchase whatever I state as having a 'marked' sonic upgrade.

I recommend just using the iPhone 6 as it is, because I have not heard anything that needs to be added to the iPhone that makes a marked improvement for anything less than what I have stated, unfortunately.  If he or she is using a tough to drive headphone like the HE-6, then he or she will need an amp - maybe.  Even the iPhone 6 powered it good enough on its own to acceptable (to most people) listening levels when the volume was turned up to the max.  Some amps and DAPs work with certain headphones/earphones better, which means I would recommend doing a little bit of research regarding a few amps in your price range you are willing to purchase and either go with your gut, or purchase a few different amps and then return the ones you do not like.  

You should also go to some Head-Fi meets in your area if you can, as you will be able to bring your own headphones/earphones and test on a plethora of amps and boutique DAPs, and should be able to find something in the price range you are willing to purchase if you choose to go that route.  Again, I have heard pretty much the best regarding portable DAPs and amps, and in my opinion is still not worth adding to my iPhone 6 because I love the fact that I can have such great sound and transport it very easily.  The iPhone 6 with the Verizon holster case and my SE846 + SCS is a very small, but very powerful combination! 

Oct 12, 2014 at 11:08 PM Post #250 of 1,973

No worries.  Yeah, just imagining and then coming to a conclusion/stating hyperbole without evidence to back it up isn't the best thing to do.  

I only stated a couple of amps that I feel first-hand make a difference regarding sound regardless of the price.  You made an assumption again, this time regarding rensc, saying "which probably means that he's on a bit of a budget", as he or she may have the money to purchase whatever I state as having a 'marked' sonic upgrade.

I recommend just using the iPhone 6 as it is, because I have not heard anything that needs to be added to the iPhone that makes a marked improvement for anything less than what I have stated, unfortunately.  If he or she is using a tough to drive headphone like the HE-6, then he or she will need an amp - maybe.  Even the iPhone 6 powered it good enough on its own to acceptable (to most people) listening levels when the volume was turned up to the max.  Some amps and DAPs work with certain headphones/earphones better, which means I would recommend doing a little bit of research regarding a few amps in your price range you are willing to purchase and either go with your gut, or purchase a few different amps and then return the ones you do not like.  

You should also go to some Head-Fi meets in your area if you can, as you will be able to bring your own headphones/earphones and test on a plethora of amps and boutique DAPs, and should be able to find something in the price range you are willing to purchase if you choose to go that route.  Again, I have heard pretty much the best regarding portable DAPs and amps, and in my opinion is still not worth adding to my iPhone 6 because I love the fact that I can have such great sound and transport it very easily.  The iPhone 6 with the Verizon holster case and my SE846 + SCS is a very small, but very powerful combination! 

Well thanks for clearing that up!  I've seen many builds pairing iPhones rubber-banded to amps, so though that an amp might help in the sq department a bit.  I'm wrong again 
tongue.gif
I'll see if I can find any meets, I know at least one of my friends has been to at least one.  Maybe a meet in D.C.?  There don't seem to be any in the Richmond, VA location.
BTW, I'm the type that assumes a lot, as you have seen in my earlier posts.  I'll try to stop, but then that means I'll have nothing to post that regards audio anymore.

Oct 12, 2014 at 11:13 PM Post #251 of 1,973
  Well thanks for clearing that up!  I've seen many builds pairing iPhones rubber-banded to amps, so though that an amp might help in the sq department a bit.  I'm wrong again 
tongue.gif
I'll see if I can find any meets, I know at least one of my friends has been to at least one.  Maybe a meet in D.C.?  There don't seem to be any in the Richmond, VA location.
BTW, I'm the type that assumes a lot, as you have seen in my earlier posts.  I'll try to stop, but then that means I'll have nothing to post that regards audio anymore.

Yeah, we can all assume, as there has to be some of that to live, for sure.  But I try my best to make sure that if I state claims that they are as researched as can be.  And then if I'm wrong, I'm wrong. 
smile.gif

Regarding D.C. meets, there are definitely some over there, as there was one there just a few months ago!  Or, you can always travel to the next big Head-Fi meet coming up, as it will be a great excuse to take a vacation!  The next one I'm going to is in (hopefully) sunny San Diego, November 1st.  You can fly over here and have a vacation, if you have the money and time to do so, of course.

If you come to the San Diego meet, hope to see you there! 
beerchug.gif
 (root beer in my glass)

Oct 12, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #252 of 1,973
Nothing wrong with your selection at all...   "  The iPhone 6 with the Verizon holster case and my SE846 + SCS is a very small, but very powerful combination!  " 
But... IMHO....   that combo can still be upped a notch...   of course loosing portability...  but gaining in functionality ...   add into your setup and I think you will agree
that adding a ifi idsd micro will scale it further... at the cost of portability...  and I would love for them to opt for a ifi idsd micro in balanced mode like an RSA...   one of the
great things about utilizing a dsd dac is the fact that it is a dsd dac... you can convert your non dsd format songs to dsd on the fly and it makes a huge difference in
SQ for redbook files....  and of course dsd files are so much better but very little as to content at this time.

As far as the X1 vs iphone 6....  no reason to even compare...  the X5 is nice as a transport but even the X5 is limited in its implementation of a dsd dac

Oct 12, 2014 at 11:25 PM Post #253 of 1,973
  Nothing wrong with your selection at all...   "  The iPhone 6 with the Verizon holster case and my SE846 + SCS is a very small, but very powerful combination!  " 
But... IMHO....   that combo can still be upped a notch...   of course loosing portability...  but gaining in functionality ...   add into your setup and I think you will agree
that adding a ifi idsd micro will scale it further... at the cost of portability...  and I would love for them to opt for a ifi idsd micro in balanced mode like an RSA...   one of the
great things about utilizing a dsd dac is the fact that it is a dsd dac... you can convert your non dsd format songs to dsd on the fly and it makes a huge difference in
SQ for redbook files....  and of course dsd files are so much better but very little as to content at this time.

As far as the X1 vs iphone 6....  no reason to even compare...  the X5 is nice as a transport but even the X5 is limited in its implementation of a dsd dac

Of course the combination can be upped.  It can be upped a "somewhat huge" notch, by using the Hugo with it, as I have mentioned before.  Everything else in my opinion is seriously not even close to worth it.

DSD files are great, but you hit the nail on the head when you said there is very little content and about the X5's implementation of being a DSD DAC.  And I love having the seemingly endless content and still great sound from Spotify - Extreme Setting.  It may not be DSD, but it is not too far off.  To have the ability to play whatever songs I want, when I want, is the better option for me regarding DSD, which means I do not have to worry about a boutique DAP playing DSD files and of course not being able to do half of the things that a smartphone could do.

Oct 13, 2014 at 12:45 AM Post #254 of 1,973
I'm gonna chime in a little since i've moved on from a Sony ZX1 to now the iPhone 6+ as my main DAP along with my Noble Audio Kaiser 10

Quote:

I wouldn't really say its LEAGUES apart. a noticeable difference yes but not one that should be labelled was leagues apart. Its impossible to quantify how much improvement there is because both devices have, Clarity, accuracy and depth. There are some things that the ZX1 does better which is having a nicer depth to the sound stage and slightly better accuracy in bass. The iPhone has a nicer warmer tonality and more intimate feel to it.

That being said a dedicated device for a purpose will always have the edge over other "jack of all trades" devices. It all comes down to what you want.

Let's be a little cautious when we use such ultimate terms as "leagues apart" esp when comparing devices. there are newbies here who look to our input so that they can make an informed decision.

tongue.gif

There are those guys who love the usability of an iOS device and still want to squeeze out every single ounce of capability within their device chain.

Of course the combination can be upped.  It can be upped a "somewhat huge" notch, by using the Hugo with it, as I have mentioned before.  Everything else in my opinion is seriously not even close to worth it.

DSD files are great, but you hit the nail on the head when you said there is very little content and about the X5's implementation of being a DSD DAC.  And I love having the seeming endless content and still great sound from Spotify - Extreme Setting.  It may not be DSD, but it is not too far off.  To have the ability to play whatever songs I want, when I want, is the better option for me regarding DSD, which means I do not have to worry about a boutique DAP playing DSD files and of course not being able to do half of the things that a smartphone could do.

Ditto. Implementation is very important as well. Your audio files are important as well. For me personally, within the audio chain, I would always change as follows: IEM>Audio Files>DAP>Cable.

Anyway cheers guys. this thread is quite informative. I must say i'm very happy using the my iPhone 6+ as a daily driver for everything including music. I do miss the depth of my ZX1 but i'm much happier just carrying one single device. I might actually just get a Fiio X1 just to give it a shot, i've heard tonnes of good things abt it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back