iPhone 6 & 6 Plus Audio Quality
Oct 9, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #196 of 1,973
I have been listening to the 5, 5S and 6 using Sennheiser over ear headphone and the mastered for iTunes U2 Songs of Innocence download . I have to hand it to the 5 for best hi-fi quality.

I know this is going to sound like heresy but that is my conclusion.

Oct 9, 2014 at 2:05 PM Post #197 of 1,973
I have been listening to the 5, 5S and 6 using Sennheiser over ear headphone and the mastered for iTunes U2 Songs of Innocence download . I have to hand it to the 5 for best hi-fi quality.

I know this is going to sound like heresy but that is my conclusion.

Interesting. I had 4 different iPhone 5s over two years, and within a few moments with my iPhone 6 I could tell a marked difference between the 5 and the 6 as the 6 was more powerful, and every facet of the sound (especially dynamic range) was an improvement for the better. I did use several IEMs and several headphones as well (more with the 5 obviously). The 5S vs. the 6 was much closer in comparison, in my honest opinion. But it is nice to know you found something that you like the most.

Oct 9, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #198 of 1,973
Thank you Moedawg. I would surmise by saying that the 5 had the most imaged sound. The downside is that I have got to use the Touch ID for real and really liked it. I hoped the 5S would be an acceptable compromise , but sadly for me it appears not, so I will also have to live without a Touch ID Iphone.

Oh well , first world problems , as they say :wink:

Oct 9, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #199 of 1,973
I really enjoyed using the 6 plus, but I had to return it after 13 days as the call quality from the earpiece was very poor. The Apple store had no replacement stock so it was a refund.

Going to try to get another one and see how that goes...

Oct 9, 2014 at 2:45 PM Post #200 of 1,973
Thank you Moedawg. I would surmise by saying that the 5 had the most imaged sound. The downside is that I have got to use the Touch ID for real and really liked it. I hoped the 5S would be an acceptable compromise , but sadly for me it appears not, so I will also have to live without a Touch ID Iphone.

Oh well , first world problems , as they say :wink:

Definitely first world problems, heh. Yeah, I loved my 5, and love all of the new features of the 6, better sound quality, Touch ID, louder speaker, faster performance, better camera, the VoLTE, the list goes on!

I really enjoyed using the 6 plus, but I had to return it after 13 days as the call quality from the earpiece was very poor. The Apple store had no replacement stock so it was a refund.

Going to try to get another one and see how that goes...

The call quality from the earpiece was poor for me as well until I took off the plastic wrap/shield that comes pre-installed with the phone. Then the sound from the earpiece came alive - nice!

Oct 9, 2014 at 2:53 PM Post #201 of 1,973
Actually having said what I have said in adoring the 5 audio quality I paradoxically am of a mind to try to force myself to get used to the 6. I find myself still really wanting to like the 6 , not just as a music player but as a smartphone too.

EDIT: I have tried changing the iPhone's EQ setting from Off to Flat. This makes me much happier than I was with the 6... Wow. I was always certain that that Off meant Flat. Go figure.

Oct 9, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #202 of 1,973
Actually having said what I have said in adoring the 5 audio quality I paradoxically am of a mind to try to force myself to get used to the 6. I find myself still really wanting to like the 6 , not just as a music player but as a smartphone too.

EDIT: I have tried changing the iPhone's EQ setting from Off to Flat. This makes me much happier than I was with the 6... Wow. I was always certain that that Off meant Flat. Go figure.

Try using Neutron Media Player, as the SQ is better than iPhone's native music app.

Oct 9, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #204 of 1,973
  The iPhone 6 has been a major step up from the 4S for me, wow!

I concur.  My fiancé came from a 4S, and other than wanting the smaller body of the 4S for about a week after she got her 6 in Gold, she really likes the 6 now.  She likes the speed of it, and being able to talk to me in HD audio-like quality phone calls and FaceTime video calls.

How do you like the audio quality compared to the 4S?

Oct 9, 2014 at 7:47 PM Post #205 of 1,973
I thought the 4S sounded better than the 5S but went with it as I wanted a better phone. IMHO differences between generations of iPhone are tiny and not worth hobbling yourself to an out dated device for.

Oct 9, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #206 of 1,973
I thought the 4S sounded better than the 5S but went with it as I wanted a better phone. IMHO differences between generations of iPhone are tiny and not worth hobbling yourself to an out dated device for.

Unless you are coming from an iPhone that has been 'put out to pasture' from Apple, as I have been hearing from iPhone 4 owners that a lot of their apps are not functioning correctly anymore.

Oct 9, 2014 at 8:50 PM Post #207 of 1,973

Yes, in the 6+ the soundstage is more open and the sound is more transparent. 6 on the other hand is warmer and the bass hits more strongly.

biggrin.gif

Hehe.  Took me a sec, but I see what you did there.

I totally agree, although the bass is too strong in my opinion.  It interferes with other frequency ranges slightly.

You mean for both the 6 & 6+, not implying there's a difference between them right?  Hardware-wise, there really is no difference between the two.   Same chips, same amps, same components other than the battery, screen & some camera parts.  There may be some voodoo in firmware but it's highly doubtful.

Anyway, I'm still hoping someone can get a good measurement on the Out-Z.  That said I'm actually pretty happy with the unamped output of my 6 paired with my Audio Technica IM02's.   The internal amp is good enough to drive these satisfactorily with most of the music I've thrown at it.

I've tested it with my E17 & E06, both set on the flat EQ setting and unlike my ATH-CK10 (55 ohm), I find very little difference between the two amps & straight iPhone 6 output with the IM02's (36 ohm).

Oct 9, 2014 at 10:20 PM Post #209 of 1,973
My iPhone 4s is running iOS 8.0.2 just fine, but maybe I'm just lucky.

I stated specifically the 4, not the 4S. The 4S is just inherently slow, compared to most new smartphones on the market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back