iPhone 5C and 5S: audio output
Oct 9, 2013 at 9:46 AM Post #152 of 391

Since Steve passed away it seems that iPhone headphone out is worse than that of the iPads and iPods. It seems that for second year in a row the iPhone amplifier is weaker than that built in the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S (Which is has even more output power than the one inside the iPhone 4).

Trying to squeeze more battery life out.

Oct 9, 2013 at 10:08 AM Post #153 of 391
No one is denying your findings so it probably best to not through around blanket statements such as "Nope, iphone 4 has more power than iphone 5S, it's obvious" cause that has proven to be not the complete truth of the matter at all by several members. As mentioned, impendance issues could be causing it - I don't know. Since you seem to be the only one with these findings, maybe your 5S has a glitch or a fault. Again, I don't know but peoples findings are not up to you to deny. 
At the end of the day, I agree it's an awesome phone & I'm getting great results with higher z phones & thats all that really matters to me.
Peace.

Ok, let me change my statment. My iPhone 5S has weaker amp section and higher output impedance than my iPhone 4. YMMV

Oct 11, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #155 of 391
My 5s goes way louder than my 4s - like 4s maxed out -> 5s has still 4-6 clicks to go louder.

Weird thing is that the 5s "volume overlay" goes yellow for one click at about 60% and then red. I've never seen this color coded overlay before. I would say the first red dot is about as loud as the 4s is going - but there are like 5 more red dots to go.

I can only guess that this has something to do with some EU regulations. I think they are enforced on the 4s but somehow inactive on the 5s.
It really goes painfully loud - I basically cannot max it out without my ears falling off. On my 4s i listend at maxed out volume all the time - no problem.

EDIT: there is in fact a "EU Volume Limit" toggle in the 5s settings - when activated levels are about the same. I'll check if the toggle is present on my 4s but i'm pretty sure it's not.

Oct 11, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #156 of 391
Yes there is toggle for EU in iOS7. Check your 4S if is on, because my 4 is louder than my 5S. In iOS 6 it is a max volume slider and in iOS7 is a toggle.

Oct 11, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #157 of 391
On my European iOS 6 iPhone 4S this is the screen:

atyge5yt.jpg

It's louder than the iOS 6 iPhone 5 i used to have (with EU limit toggled off).

Success is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm

Oct 11, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #159 of 391
exactly.

As I expected this option is not present on the 4s!

I've no permissions to post pics.. so here's a link:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/drfn5ueivvmfup1/RCOVRuMMEX

To clarify: the 4s goes as loud as the 5s with EU Limit turned on. So my 5s is in fact way louder.

Oct 11, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #160 of 391
Oct 11, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #164 of 391
I've crashed it a few times, which was a new experience since owning a few older models and not having them crash once, but it just restarted. No blue screen.

Oct 13, 2013 at 4:11 AM Post #165 of 391
Watching the discussion here with interest guys, very interesting stuff. Thinking the 5S could be a good pairing with my T5p with the Euro volume restriction turned off...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back