iPhone 5C and 5S: audio output
Nov 6, 2013 at 4:21 AM Post #182 of 391
thanks for reply! :wink: and yeah, i love simplicity too. I just use a dac with my mac, is awesome with my sennheiser 598.

So...cool! I stay with my 4s I think, maybe I will upgrade next year is the iphone "6" dac will be like the 5s one.

Umm..the only doubt i've, is the alac music. For you, with the dac of iphone can I hear some differences?

I put alac in my iphone, and the entire library in 256@aac on my ipod 
biggrin.gif
  with alac i can't hear differences between iOS 6 and 7...

Nov 6, 2013 at 4:38 AM Post #183 of 391
  thanks for reply! :wink: and yeah, i love simplicity too. I just use a dac with my mac, is awesome with my sennheiser 598.

So...cool! I stay with my 4s I think, maybe I will upgrade next year is the iphone "6" dac will be like the 5s one.

Umm..the only doubt i've, is the alac music. For you, with the dac of iphone can I hear some differences?

I put alac in my iphone, and the entire library in 256@aac on my ipod 
biggrin.gif
  with alac i can't hear differences between iOS 6 and 7...

This would support my thesis that the sound difference between iOS6 and 7 has to do with AAC decoding, and thus ALAC files would sound the same on both 6 and 7.  But I'm just guessing.  I won't install iOS 7 on my iPhone 4 and I can't install iOS 6 on my iPhone 5S, so I can't do the comparison.

As for DAC's, I doubt the iPhone 6 will have exactly the same audio codec as the 5S.  But it will likely be another Cirrus Logic codec that is very similar on the DAC side of things, and, I truly hope, with a lower output impedance on the amp side of things.  But in any case, I won't get the 6 when it comes out.  Barring accident, loss, theft, etc, I'm good with my 5S for at least the next 2 years.  I'm one of those few strange people who don't want a larger screen.  In fact, for pocket carry, I prefer the 4 and 4S to the 5, 5C, 5S.  But the 16:9 screen is very nice for watching video in that format.  I'm glad they kept the width the same, at least, anyway.  So, yet another reason I'll keep my 5S.  Plus, I really don't want to go through this whole thing again--although at least now, going forward I'll be aware of the allergy / middle ear fluid issue.

Nov 6, 2013 at 4:59 AM Post #184 of 391
Yeah..i never upgraded my iphone every year, for now, i'm ok with my 4s and sincerely for me 5s is a "small upgrade" (i've an ipod 5th too, I live in italy and there isn't LTE...and some other things), and yeah I love iphone screen too.

So...i don't think anyway that aac@256 can sounds better than alac   
biggrin.gif
 I think that i'll keep my alac on the iphone..there is not reason to have the same library that i've on my ipod.

Nov 6, 2013 at 5:44 AM Post #185 of 391
  Yeah..i never upgraded my iphone every year, for now, i'm ok with my 4s and sincerely for me 5s is a "small upgrade" (i've an ipod 5th too, I live in italy and there isn't LTE...and some other things), and yeah I love iphone screen too.

So...i don't think anyway that aac@256 can sounds better than alac   
biggrin.gif
 I think that i'll keep my alac on the iphone..there is not reason to have the same library that i've on my ipod.

LOL!  I would never and did not say that 256kbps AAC sounds better than ALAC!  I said that people claim that there is a sound difference between iOS 6 and 7, and I can only guess that this is due to AAC decoding.  Since ALAC is a lossless and bit-perfect audio codec, by definition there should be no difference in the PCM feed to the DAC.

Nov 6, 2013 at 6:35 AM Post #186 of 391
ahah yeah yeah! 
biggrin.gif
  I know! It was a my captain obvious sentence lol.

BTW I think that this is the best solution (alac/aac on ipod)..in the future I will sell everything and will buy an iphone 64gb.

Now i've got a library of..uhm..35gb of music with about 60cds ripped in alac and some AAC...I hope that Apple will make an iphone 128gb lol...is cool having a single device/phone with all music in higher quality.

New google nexus 5 is 349$ for 16gb and 399$ for 32gb...this is ok imho..but 200€ for 16->64gb... :/

Nov 6, 2013 at 8:23 AM Post #187 of 391
The one thing is that even though it takes Apple Lossless, it won't load anything on there that is a high bitrate and sample rate eg. I couldn't load an alac that I made from a 24/96 flac file. It was unsupported through iTunes.

_js_ , re: your AAC theory, what about MP3?

Nov 6, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #191 of 391
Last I checked that's correct. Wish it would at least do 24/48 but I hear that there's an Onkyo app that allows HiDef and that the hardware is capable in later models.

Interesting. I'm pretty sure all the new Cirrus Logic chipsets are capable of at least 24/96, last I checked. Would there be OS level resampling going on though?

Nov 7, 2013 at 1:57 AM Post #192 of 391
The one thing is that even though it takes Apple Lossless, it won't load anything on there that is a high bitrate and sample rate eg. I couldn't load an alac that I made from a 24/96 flac file. It was unsupported through iTunes.

_js_ , re: your AAC theory, what about MP3?

vwinter,

No idea.  Absolutely none.  But my guess would be no, since Apple is all about AAC files since that is the native iTunes file format.

But where are the threads or reports of sound difference of 6 vs. 7 and what files were these people using?  I use AAC files, but my recent change to the iPhone 5S involved a change of both hardware AND iOS version.

Oh wait, there was a link above about sound difference of 6 v 7, wasn't there, and also a couple posts in this thread describing how/why it was possible.  I'm off to read those.  LOL!  Been spending most of my time slogging through the huge ER-4S thread.  I'm on page 80 out of 206+ pages.

Nov 7, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #194 of 391

vwinter,

No idea.  Absolutely none.  But my guess would be no, since Apple is all about AAC files since that is the native iTunes file format.

But where are the threads or reports of sound difference of 6 vs. 7 and what files were these people using?  I use AAC files, but my recent change to the iPhone 5S involved a change of both hardware AND iOS version.

Oh wait, there was a link above about sound difference of 6 v 7, wasn't there, and also a couple posts in this thread describing how/why it was possible.  I'm off to read those.  LOL!  Been spending most of my time slogging through the huge ER-4S thread.  I'm on page 80 out of 206+ pages.

Here is the thread.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/682808/iphone-5-with-ios-7-sounds-different

Users who are viewing this thread

Back