iPhone 5C and 5S: audio output
Nov 19, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #212 of 391
I think that will be difficult unless someone has both a 5C and a 5S, which is unlikely.  But, for what it's worth, I would say that overall, the 5S has better sound quality (but it does depend on the headphones involved) and equal loudness to my iPhone 4.

Nov 20, 2013 at 2:01 AM Post #214 of 391
Nov 20, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #215 of 391
I've skimmed through this thread, so forgive my ignorance if I missed it. Has anyone properly analyzed the audio on the 5S? It's been stated it has a new chip/amp so it should yield different measurements from what kenrockwell recorded.

Nov 20, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #216 of 391
  I've skimmed through this thread, so forgive my ignorance if I missed it. Has anyone properly analyzed the audio on the 5S? It's been stated it has a new chip/amp so it should yield different measurements from what kenrockwell recorded.

I measured the output impedance at 2.30 ohms which is significantly better than the 5.  I also measured max voltage out into 100 ohms and the 5S was slightly higher than the 4, so it's got about as much power as the 4, which is--from what I read--a step up from the 5.  And there was one site posted earlier that did some measurements when driving a specific headphone (FR graph)--an Audio Technica I think--but so far I don't know of any extensive testing and measuring like Ken Rockwell did for the 5.

But the general consensus from around the web is that the 5S is a step up in SQ from the 5, for sure, but whether or not it is as good as the 4S or 4 hasn't reached consensus.  I find it to be a step up in SQ from my iPhone 4, but not with my Senn PX-100's.  I suspect it might have something to do with the impedance of the headphones involved.  Anecdotally I have found so far that the 5S likes higher impedance phones (50+ ohms) that have a nice high sensitivity. Although I find the Ety ER-4S (100 ohms and medium sensitivity) to sound great out of the 5S.

I have a JDS Labs C5D to compare against, and while I'm still in the "impressions" stage, my impression is that with the ER-4S's, the 5S scores about an 85-90 if we count the C5D as a 100.  Which is pretty impressive.  The Ety's sound better out of the C5D, especially in the treble, but not so much better that I sometimes don't just decide it's not worth the bother of hooking up the C5D, and just listen straight out of the 5S.  And love it.

I think if I had to characterize the 5S strengths and flaws at this point I would say that the bass CAN suffer on lower impedance cans (my Grado SR225's and PX100's) and that it CAN sound a bit harsh and edgy and forward with certain headphones (my Sony MDR-7506's and Grado SR-225's) and in any case doesn't have the most smooth and liquid of treble's,

BUT

it has noticeably better detail and clarity than the iPhone 4, which sounds a bit "soft" and polite when I go back and listen to it.

Overall, I find it to be a win, but it does depend on what headphone you pair it with.

Right now, I really like my ER-4S's and Sennheiser HD595's straight out of the 5S.  With these two phones, the 5S is CLEARLY better in SQ than the 4.

Nov 30, 2013 at 1:27 AM Post #220 of 391
I am an ex Android user. Never really cared for Apple devices, but last year when my second Android phone died I decided to go with the iPhone 5. Hated it for the first 2 months but learned to appreciate it over time. The sound quality is very good and put Samsung and LG to shame. My CAL! and most of my earphones sound great with the iPhone 5 and IOS 7.

Nov 30, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #221 of 391
I sold my NOTE 3 and got the 5c and I must say I am very happy with the audio quality and loudness

really?! in "Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (24-bit-192KHz)" thread u can see everyone say that Note 3 has best dac!
its so weird, i plan to buy Note 3 or an Ipad Air ..but, each guy has different opinion and opposite each other!!

Nov 30, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #222 of 391
really?! in "Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (24-bit-192KHz)" thread u can see everyone say that Note 3 has best dac!
its so weird, i plan to buy Note 3 or an Ipad Air ..but, each guy has different opinion and opposite each other!!

Don't be hatin. :p

Could be personal preference or implementation or whatever. Let the man enjoy his shiny new toy.

It doesn't really help that most apple products use different DACs and amps. Your Air might sound different than his 5C.

h1^
guys, can u compare Iphone 5s with Galaxy Note 3 or with other smartphone with new Snapdragon Dac??
Iphone 5s and Ipad air have same Dac?

The iPad Air and 5S don't use the same chips, DAC nor amp.

Dec 1, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #223 of 391
Don't be hatin.
tongue.gif

Could be personal preference or implementation or whatever. Let the man enjoy his shiny new toy.

It doesn't really help that most apple products use different DACs and amps. Your Air might sound different than his 5C.
The iPad Air and 5S don't use the same chips, DAC nor amp.

c'mon i just wanna choose the best, and my race is between "Note 3 vs Ipad Air" or maybe Iphone 5s.
ps: i dont use any external DAC or amp.

Dec 4, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #224 of 391
I am currently running an iPhone 5S as my primary source and seriously considering buying a pico slim. Thing is... How do you pair the two of them together? Do I connect the 5S headphone output to the pico's input and then my iem to the pico's output? Or do I have to buy a lightning to 30pin adaptor and then get something like this http://www.headamp.com/order/images/whiplash_bottom_large.jpg to connect the 5S to the amp? 

Thanks for reading and have a great day!

Dec 4, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #225 of 391
  I am currently running an iPhone 5S as my primary source and seriously considering buying a pico slim. Thing is... How do you pair the two of them together? Do I connect the 5S headphone output to the pico's input and then my iem to the pico's output? Or do I have to buy a lightning to 30pin adaptor and then get something like this http://www.headamp.com/order/images/whiplash_bottom_large.jpg to connect the 5S to the amp? 

Thanks for reading and have a great day!

You can do either. Ideally you'd want line out.

The amp is more than enough for me on the 5S, i can't bring my IEM's up much past half way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back