iPhone 5C and 5S: audio output
Apr 14, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #316 of 391
elfary,

For me, it isn't a case of who shouts loudest wins, it is a case of who shouts with the most vigour wins...

The 5S sounds very mid-thin by comparison, now - I will say that this is with the EU cap on there, but I believe less that the dynamics will improve by increasing maximum volume than I do that the M8 just has better dynamics from the get-go...

Easiest answer is for you to demo an M8, and let us know your thoughts, and - I might well end up jailbreaking my 5S to do the reverse...

Is almost a tradition to try every flagship since 2011.

As HTC One M8 becomes available in Spain i'll go to the showroom and i'll load via Box my test tracks to test them with ny old trusty Westone UM3x.

Certainly i'd love that m8 was better than the 5s because of the 128gb cards. It's just that the resolution of the 5s mesmerizes me each and everytime after 4 months of ownership. It's so pure and defined...

I don't trust anyone who smiles before 9 am

Apr 17, 2014 at 2:53 PM Post #317 of 391
Back from a blinded test Note 3 vs 5s.

Got it right 10 out of 10 with my Westone 3.

Note 3 hpo is no match for the clarity and openness from the iPhone.

Surprised since i don't recall that my old 4s was that superior.

It's almost crazy to think that before Facebook, all of this nonsense stayed in people's heads.

Apr 17, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #318 of 391
Agreed completely! Now it's time to see if you agree with me re the M8 :)

Apr 18, 2014 at 7:46 AM Post #319 of 391
I have ordered an iPhone 5s ,altrough I used Android devices for years, and still do with the Samsung Note 10.1 2014 Version wich have also great Sound on board,in combination with my IE80 a winner, but I am curious how the iPhone will do, as most Music enthousiasts here use it. I did read somewhere that the use of the beyerdynamic A200d DAC/Amp does not bring much improvement as far as Sound goes, wihcih make me wonder,is the iPhone 5 s really this good?

Apr 18, 2014 at 7:58 AM Post #320 of 391
I think that speaks more to the beyer rebranded AK dac. Regardless the iP5 and 5s are excellent sounding players IMO. I liked the 5 mids better but the 5s has better bass and treble articulation and a bit better OI.

May 6, 2014 at 6:20 AM Post #321 of 391
Passed the 4 month mark of iPhone 5s ownership.

Calling myself an extremely happy camper won't make justice to the joy that its headphone out brings to my soul.

All my iems (Westone 3, Westone Um3x, Shure SE215 and TDK BA200) sound at their best off the 5s.

The clarity and purity of that headphone out it's something to behold.

This should be called Pure Tone (that was the working name of that Pono thingie).

May 6, 2014 at 6:02 PM Post #323 of 391
Any recommendation on a great portable headphone amplifier (I don't care about IEMs) that pairs well with a iPhone 5s ? I had been looking especially at Leckerton UHA760 and JDS Labs C5D... Someone who has already tried them before ? thanks

May 6, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #324 of 391
I have the Beyerdynamic A200p, but the difference doesn't justify the price. If you have good in ear- and or headphones and you are happy with what you hear, I wouldn't bother about an upgrade. The A200p makes the real difference with Android devices like my Samsung tablet 10.1 2014 edition.

May 11, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #325 of 391
  Passed the 4 month mark of iPhone 5s ownership.

Calling myself an extremely happy camper won't make justice to the joy that its headphone out brings to my soul.

All my iems (Westone 3, Westone Um3x, Shure SE215 and TDK BA200) sound at their best off the 5s.

The clarity and purity of that headphone out it's something to behold.

This should be called Pure Tone (that was the working name of that Pono thingie).

I've owned mine for 6 months as well. For me, the iPhone 5S is the most detailed/transparent output from a phone i've personally ever heard. I'm very happy with using it to drive my IEM's and never need to crank it up past 60% or so even when on a flight. Plenty of power, plenty of detail, the only criticism I can think of is it can sound a bit analytical sometimes and lacking in warmth, but that's me being super nitpicky and I'm comparing it against my Schiit Mjolnir+Gungnir desktop amp/dac.

Jun 15, 2014 at 2:58 AM Post #328 of 391
Sold my European iPhone 5s and purchased a US one.

Thrilled to have 1 volt at my disposal off the bat without needing to jailbreak as it was the case with the EU model (thanks to arrogant yet ignorant politicians) where the voltage is capped to 0'6v (even with the EU volume limit toggled off).

Password must contain at least one capital letter, the meaning of life, 14 of your favorite baby names, the Hamlet plot summary and a hug.

Jun 16, 2014 at 12:12 PM Post #329 of 391
I have a question for all apple users here,

I come mainly from android, where there is PowerAMP, which supports folder playing, folder advance (double press on ff and rw) and an impressive parametric EQ. I recently acquired an Ipod Touch 5th generation, but I don't know which program has all those capabilities that PowerAMP has, therefore... does anybody knows a program that does all of this?

Thanks in advance.

P.D, I don't mind jailbreaking so any program that requires that is also welcome.
P.D2, I will use an external DAC that I already have for audio (PHA-2)

Jun 24, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #330 of 391
Can anyone tell me how is the sound quality of iPhone 5c when compared to other phones? From the above posts I can see that 5s has the best sound quality among other phones but how about 5c? As that's the one in my budget. Also I can see that 5s's sound signature is bit on the brighter aggressive side

Users who are viewing this thread

Back