iPhone 5C and 5S: audio output
Mar 31, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #301 of 391
  If any owner based within the (annoying) EU wants to uncage the amp of their 5s here is what i did. And it's working wonders withou drawbacks of any kind (Aside the JB).

1. Jailbreak
2. Add to Cydia the repo from hackmyiphone
3. Install the EU Volume Limit Disabler from that repo
4. Reboot

Now you have got rid of the annoying yellow/red squares and from screen turning on when you get loud

Then:

1. Install iFile (from cydia)
2. Through iFile go to  /var/mobile/library/preferences
3. open the archive com.apple.celestial.plist%
4. go to volumelimits/headphone and change  1 for 1.2
5. reboot

Now the headphone amp from your 5s is not capped. It will get as loud as an iPad Air or non capped iPhone 4s. And that without adding any audible distortion or audible raise in the noise floor.

Even if people don't know the EU has set a double volume limit (measured with bundled earphones):

1. 85db (if you have the Music Setting toggle EU Limit set to On)
2. 100db (If you have the Music Setting toggle EU Limit set to Off)

That is for the Earpods. Problem is that non EU iPhones/Touches drive the Earpods to far more than 100db. Hence even turning Off EU Limit on the menu you are chained to the second volume limit set by the CENELEC. Your amp remains capped. Less capped but capped nonetheless.

The regulation is stupid enough that when earphones are not bundled with the player there is no cap since the amount of capping can not be assessed. Hence: iPads are no volume limited within the EU.

I installed EU Volume Limit Disabler from Cyda and installed it. I also installed iFile and went to /var/mobile/library/preferences and opened the archive com.celestial.plist% but I cannot find volumelimits/headphone. It seems to be missing. Please advise as I am wanting the EU volume cap on my iPhone 5S uncapped.

Mar 31, 2014 at 5:13 PM Post #302 of 391
 If any owner based within the (annoying) EU wants to uncage the amp of their 5s here is what i did. And it's working wonders withou drawbacks of any kind (Aside the JB).

1. Jailbreak
2. Add to Cydia the repo from hackmyiphone
3. Install the EU Volume Limit Disabler from that repo
4. Reboot

Now you have got rid of the annoying yellow/red squares and from screen turning on when you get loud

Then:

1. Install iFile (from cydia)
2. Through iFile go to  /var/mobile/library/preferences
3. open the archive com.apple.celestial.plist%
4. go to volumelimits/headphone and change  1 for 1.2
5. reboot

Now the headphone amp from your 5s is not capped. It will get as loud as an iPad Air or non capped iPhone 4s. And that without adding any audible distortion or audible raise in the noise floor.

Even if people don't know the EU has set a double volume limit (measured with bundled earphones):

1. 85db (if you have the Music Setting toggle EU Limit set to On)
2. 100db (If you have the Music Setting toggle EU Limit set to Off)

That is for the Earpods. Problem is that non EU iPhones/Touches drive the Earpods to far more than 100db. Hence even turning Off EU Limit on the menu you are chained to the second volume limit set by the CENELEC. Your amp remains capped. Less capped but capped nonetheless.

The regulation is stupid enough that when earphones are not bundled with the player there is no cap since the amount of capping can not be assessed. Hence: iPads are no volume limited within the EU.

I installed EU Volume Limit Disabler from Cyda and installed it. I also installed iFile and went to /var/mobile/library/preferences and opened the archive com.celestial.plist% but I cannot find volumelimits/headphone. It seems to be missing. Please advise as I am wanting the EU volume cap on my iPhone 5S uncapped.

Dunno...mine was there. It has to be there. Tomorrow i'll upload a screenshot. a mate of mine managed to raise the gain on his iPhone 5 as well. A couple of dudes failed on an iPhone 4s and a Touch 5 though.

I don't trust anyone who smiles before 9 am

Mar 31, 2014 at 5:27 PM Post #303 of 391
Dunno...mine was there. It has to be there. Tomorrow i'll upload a screenshot. a mate of mine managed to raise the gain on his iPhone 5 as well. A couple of dudes failed on an iPhone 4s and a Touch 5 though.

I don't trust anyone who smiles before 9 am

I am using the iPhone 5S jailbroken running iOS 7.0.6

When I open com.apple.celestial I see this...

volumes dictionary and when I open this I get headphone-hdft-wired Audio/Video - 0.8600000000000000. I changed that to 1.2 but I hear no change in volume.

I'm looking forward to your screenshot to see whats going on.

Apr 1, 2014 at 12:42 AM Post #304 of 391
There you go...

Go to com.apple.celestial.plist
Then volumeLimits
Then set headphone to 1.2
Reboot and the output power oughtta be unmistakably higher.

unepusyd.jpg

ybybamam.jpg

5ynuzeze.jpg

Life it's hard. It's harder when you're stupid

Apr 1, 2014 at 8:20 AM Post #305 of 391
On your screenshots thats the same as what I get except "parentalVolumeCappedtoEUvo" and "volumelimits" is missing.

Apr 1, 2014 at 8:23 AM Post #306 of 391
elfary said:
Life it's hard. It's harder when you're stupid

That is not a very nice or friendly quote isn't it. tut tut you lack manners.

Apr 1, 2014 at 8:39 AM Post #307 of 391
UPDATE I removed EU Volume Limit Disabler from Cydia and now volumelimits and parentalVolumeCappedtoEU have now appeared and I am now able to adjust the EU volume cap to 1.2 so really installing EU Volume Limit Disabler from Cydia isn't really needed and was causing the problems.

Apr 1, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #308 of 391
  UPDATE I removed EU Volume Limit Disabler from Cydia and now volumelimits and parentalVolumeCappedtoEU have now appeared and I am now able to adjust the EU volume cap to 1.2 so really installing EU Volume Limit Disabler from Cydia isn't really needed and was causing the problems.

That is not a very nice or friendly quote isn't it. tut tut you lack manners.

Man that's my Tapatalk signature. Which is a very true phrase by John Wayne. It had nothing to do with anybody. I'm not that harsh

And i know it's true because i've been stupid many times and things have gotten harder because of the aforementioned stupidity.

Apr 1, 2014 at 9:57 AM Post #309 of 391

So?????

Did you get the amp pumping real power ?

Apr 1, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #310 of 391

Man that's my Tapatalk signature. Which is a very true phrase by John Wayne. It had nothing to do with anybody. I'm not that harsh

And i know it's true because i've been stupid many times and things have gotten harder because of the aforementioned stupidity.

Haha Sorry about that. I'm having a bad day today so I'm taking everything personal when I know it wasn't meant.

I do hear a bit of a difference on the volume after setting the volumelimit to 1.2. Strange how I had to uninstall EU Volume Limit Disabler to get it showing. Anyway thanks for the screenshots. I also edited the EURegionalVolumes archive as well using iFile.

Apr 1, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #311 of 391

Haha Sorry about that. I'm having a bad day today so I'm taking everything personal when I know it wasn't meant.

I do hear a bit of a difference on the volume after setting the volumelimit to 1.2. Strange how I had to uninstall EU Volume Limit Disabler to get it showing. Anyway thanks for the screenshots. I also edited the EURegionalVolumes archive as well using iFile.

To assess the volume gain i compared (as i did when it was capped) with my Japanese iPod Classic and my iPad 3. Prior to this jb thing my European 5s was almost two clicks softer. After the tweak is a pinch louder than both iPod and iPad. Hence to my ears the difference it's quite big.

I tested at full volume with my SE215 and a Waylon Jennings tune which has very low intrinsic volume (I'd damage my ears had i tested with the UM3x and a current RHCP album).
I'm really satisfied with the iPhone 5s headphone out. It's uber clean and now it's stunningly powerful.

Hope i can remain on 7.0.6 and no mishaps take place.

Apr 13, 2014 at 8:00 AM Post #312 of 391
I've manually set the volume limit of my iPhone 5S to 60%. I used a ruler to make sure that the center of the slidebar dot is exactly at 27mm from the left of the slidebar (total length is 45mm). Then, I turned on sound check. Since the Shure SE846 has 9 ohm impedance and the stock Apple earbuds 23 ohm, the 60% recommendation doesn't apply and I should set it even lower. How much lower should I go? I guess I can't simply 9 / 23 = 39% of the current limit.

Apr 13, 2014 at 6:39 PM Post #313 of 391
  Do you honestly need that extra volume? I can understand if you have hearing damage but anything above 75% is freakishly loud on any of my cans with the 5S. I'm just trying to understand why someone would need to remove said cap.

Its not about how loudly it shouts, but how much headroom there is...

I can assure you, coming from an uncapped HTC M8 to my 5S is nothing but a disappointment, the lack of dynamics on the iPhone make me want to cry...

Think I'll be selling the 5S very soon, especially as the one app I used it for daily is now on Google Play store...

Apr 14, 2014 at 9:33 AM Post #314 of 391

Its not about how loudly it shouts, but how much headroom there is...

I can assure you, coming from an uncapped HTC M8 to my 5S is nothing but a disappointment, the lack of dynamics on the iPhone make me want to cry...

Think I'll be selling the 5S very soon, especially as the one app I used it for daily is now on Google Play store...

As i managed to tweak the amp gain of my European 5s i certainly find it a very tough headphone out to beat and dynamics are awesome.

I'd be very surprised if the M8 could match the clarity and the output power of my 5s.

Certainly, prior to uncapping my 5s i was frustraded with the lack of headroom on old recordings with high dynamic range.

People do not seem to realise that some records are four times louder than others hence the uttmost importance of the output power to be able get things loud enough with low volume recordings.

Apr 14, 2014 at 9:59 AM Post #315 of 391
elfary,

For me, it isn't a case of who shouts loudest wins, it is a case of who shouts with the most vigour wins...

The 5S sounds very mid-thin by comparison, now - I will say that this is with the EU cap on there, but I believe less that the dynamics will improve by increasing maximum volume than I do that the M8 just has better dynamics from the get-go...

Easiest answer is for you to demo an M8, and let us know your thoughts, and - I might well end up jailbreaking my 5S to do the reverse...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back