iPhone 5C and 5S: audio output
Dec 4, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #227 of 391
Thank you for your quick reply. Being the noob I am... Ideally, what am I supposed to do? Use the whiplash cable?

Just an FYI, the lightning cable connector is digital only, so if you get the 30 pin adapter, you would be using the DAC that Apple has built into the adapter. Some say it's a pretty good Wolfson DAC, but you'd likely be losing the 5S original sound.

The other option is that you get a combo USB DAC/Amp and use the Camera Connection Kit (CCK) to run a USB output to the portable (battery powered) DAC/Amp, like the new Leckerton. But you'd be losing the 5S original sound.

Either way, you lose the 5S built in DAC.

Last option is as you said, use a 3.5mm to 3.5mm male and dual amp, or use the 5S DAC and Amp and run that into an external amp. This generally isn't really ideal unless you just need more power or something.

Dec 5, 2013 at 5:08 AM Post #228 of 391
Was the output power comparison between the 5S and the 4S ever addressed?

Financially i'm the position to grab a 5S 64Gb but i won't fork out a dime if it has less output power than the 4S. To me my phone is my main music source (since i'm always out and about) so i won't give in an inch in the sound department when i listen thru hundred dollars iems.

Dec 5, 2013 at 8:27 AM Post #229 of 391
Was the output power comparison between the 5S and the 4S ever addressed?

Financially i'm the position to grab a 5S 64Gb but i won't fork out a dime if it has less output power than the 4S. To me my phone is my main music source (since i'm always out and about) so i won't give in an inch in the sound department when i listen thru hundred dollars iems.

Marginally higher output on the 5S. A few pages back. If you have the opportunity to demo it in a store, I recommend it for sound purposes.

Dec 5, 2013 at 9:09 AM Post #230 of 391
Marginally higher output on the 5S. A few pages back. If you have the opportunity to demo it in a store, I recommend it for sound purposes.

I skimmed thru all the thread but it seems that there were (as usual:) contradictory assessments by different folks.

Guess i'll have to take a walk to an Apple Store with my UM3x.

Thanks for the input mate

Dec 5, 2013 at 9:25 AM Post #231 of 391
Just an FYI, the lightning cable connector is digital only, so if you get the 30 pin adapter, you would be using the DAC that Apple has built into the adapter. Some say it's a pretty good Wolfson DAC, but you'd likely be losing the 5S original sound.

The other option is that you get a combo USB DAC/Amp and use the Camera Connection Kit (CCK) to run a USB output to the portable (battery powered) DAC/Amp, like the new Leckerton. But you'd be losing the 5S original sound.

Either way, you lose the 5S built in DAC.

Last option is as you said, use a 3.5mm to 3.5mm male and dual amp, or use the 5S DAC and Amp and run that into an external amp. This generally isn't really ideal unless you just need more power or something.

Thank you very much for your suggestions and input. I guess I would be getting the 30pin adapter and a pico slim to go along with the 5S. On a side note, how is an ADL X1 (iDevice DAC)?

Dec 8, 2013 at 3:16 AM Post #232 of 391
Some objective data for you all...long due:

http://monoadc.blog64.fc2.com/blog-entry-168.html

The folk that measured the output impedance earlier on this thread was spot on.

Optimism is the depth of technical ignorance

Dec 18, 2013 at 7:21 AM Post #233 of 391

Calculating, we get . . . drum roll please . . .

R1 = 2.30 ohms.

Thank you so much for doing this.

Very ready to upgrade from my iP5 now.

Dec 18, 2013 at 7:29 AM Post #234 of 391
Hello. I have hands on iPhone 5s in principle with some hand happy with everything. But I started to look at the type of portable player Fiio X3 / iBasso DX 50
Does it make sense to change the iphone 5s on an additional device and how much it will improve the sound quality?
Still can not find the characteristics of the output power of the amplifier and the output impedance.
Thanks in advance for your answers and I'm sorry for my english :)

Dec 18, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #236 of 391
I just received my Iphone 5s yesterday night , until now Iphone 4 S is the best from all iPhone series I have .

Out the box Iphone 5 S sound quality is very good .

I haven't done briefly comparison between these two

As apple fan boy I bought every time Iphone came out the new model Except iPhone 5 , because IPhone 5 sound Quality was below my 4 G and 4 S.

Here is the answer for the volume between Iphone 4 S and 5 S:

Like you see in my picture , I use the same music file

At the Same volume level these two phone have almost the same loud with the same hp out

iPhone 4 s only slightly Lauder not that much

This is the reason I bought iPhone 5 s , because of the sq and volume

Note : I haven't tested the speaker out , how loud can produce the iPhone 5s , because I need to buy screen protector first
And I just play last than 5 hours

IMO

Dec 19, 2013 at 3:49 PM Post #237 of 391
I just received my Iphone 5s yesterday night , until now Iphone 4 S is the best from all iPhone series I have .

Out the box Iphone 5 S sound quality is very good .

I haven't done briefly comparison between these two

As apple fan boy I bought every time Iphone came out the new model Except iPhone 5 , because IPhone 5 sound Quality was below my 4 G and 4 S.

Here is the answer for the volume between Iphone 4 S and 5 S:

Like you see in my picture , I use the same music file

At the Same volume level these two phone have almost the same loud with the same hp out

iPhone 4 s only slightly Lauder not that much

This is the reason I bought iPhone 5 s , because of the sq and volume

Note : I haven't tested the speaker out , how loud can produce the iPhone 5s , because I need to buy screen protector first
And I just play last than 5 hours

IMO

Thanks mate!

I own a white 64gb 4S and purchases and sold the 5 cause i could not accept a weaker amp section.

Given your impression i might follow suit. Even if find hard to let go of the 4S (after all these years its hpo still impresses me)

Success is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm

Dec 19, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #238 of 391
Thanks mate!

I own a white 64gb 4S and purchases and sold the 5 cause i could not accept a weaker amp section.

Given your impression i might follow suit. Even if find hard to let go of the 4S (after all these years its hpo still impresses me)

Success is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm

You are welcome

Please don't sell your Iphone 4 s , this is the best Iphone from Steve Jobs
I have 2 iPhones 4 s , 1 is stock and 1 is mod , I use more as Pure DAP
IMO

Dec 22, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #239 of 391
Just to add my tuppence -

With etymotic 4 micropro:

I recently 'replaced' my iPhone 4S with a new one from apple (broken button)

And bought a 64gb iPhone 5s on contract.

Both phones have iOS 7.

I wasn't looking to 'review' the difference and have not posted here for a few years. But using the 5s I found it noticeably thinner, more fatiguing and less 'liquid' in the midrange than with the 4s. Bass lighter. Very detailed but more digital. I went back to check and confirmed the difference.

This may be an issue with matching and I'm sure it can sound great with other earphones but I am really disappointed. If anyone has any advice on whether I can use software to adjust for the difference I would be very grateful!

Meanwhile I am planning to get a 5c for my wide and will compare that.

Dec 22, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #240 of 391
Just to add my tuppence -

With etymotic 4 micropro:

I recently 'replaced' my iPhone 4S with a new one from apple (broken button)

And bought a 64gb iPhone 5s on contract.

Both phones have iOS 7.

I wasn't looking to 'review' the difference and have not posted here for a few years. But using the 5s I found it noticeably thinner, more fatiguing and less 'liquid' in the midrange than with the 4s. Bass lighter. Very detailed but more digital. I went back to check and confirmed the difference.

This may be an issue with matching and I'm sure it can sound great with other earphones but I am really disappointed. If anyone has any advice on whether I can use software to adjust for the difference I would be very grateful!

Meanwhile I am planning to get a 5c for my wide and will compare that.

That's no good to hear. In 12 hours i'm set to purchase 5s 64gb to replace my 4s 64gb.

Since i'm breaking the bank (kind of:) any loss in sound quality will leave me pretty disappointed since i am hoping that it will match the stunning headphone out of the 4S

Optimism is the depth of technical ignorance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back