iPhone 5C and 5S: audio output
Dec 25, 2013 at 8:47 AM Post #256 of 391
Thanks for the update about the 5c geekface.

My wife ended up also getting the 5s so I don't know how they compare - they use different chips in their output circuit is that right?

Still the same impression with the er4's - slightly thinner and more digital sound, which may be more revealing, but is less musical and involving than it was on the 4s.

But I'm forgetting myself - merry Christmas!

Dec 25, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #257 of 391
As more listening hours go by i'm beginning to think that the 5s amp delivers the power weighing the overall spl. It seems to deliver more juice to low intrinsic volume files than to high intrinsic volume files thus you tend to end up with loud levels off both kind of files.

I'm quite certain that something is going on that front.

I think it lacks the subbass emphasis of the 4/4s but it sounds more lively and the treble never has sounded better to these ears. I think it's a more balanced presentation. YMMV

Success is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm

Dec 27, 2013 at 3:38 AM Post #258 of 391
Careful comparison has been carried out between the 5s (UK/EU version) headphone out and the headphone out of an iPhone 4S (EU Version), iPad 3 (EU version) and iPad Mini (EU version) and iPod Classic 7G (US version).

Tried Shure SE215 (20ohms), UM3x (56 Ohm avg) and open load (iBasso T3 amp).

In all the scenarios the 5s has a lower output power than all the other idevices (whose levels are pretty consistant between them). About two volume clicks.

Hence i'm wondering if the EU version of the iPhone 5s is capped (ala iPod Classic) which certainly did not happen with previous iPhones.

Thus bittersweet feelings here. Amazing quality but the loss in output power is a pretty hard pill to swallow.

Folks that think the 5s is louder than 4s...what is you model number. Mine is ME439Y/A

ME439Y/A has less output power than iPhone 4S. No matter the load.

Dec 27, 2013 at 10:24 AM Post #259 of 391
My 5S is EU version (ME438DN/A) and has less output power than iPhone 4 (EU version) as I stated before.

Dec 27, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #260 of 391
That is awful and unjust.

Dec 27, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #261 of 391
I have the chance to swap my white and pristine 5s 64gb for a 5s space black (and not so pristine chassis wise) US version.

If i am 100% sure that the US version will output the same power than my (sadly gone) iPhone 4S then i might bite the bullet even if i get a dented bezel iPhone 5s.

But it would be ugly to swap iPhones just the get the same output. In any case it would help to clarify the issue.

It is hard to believe than an EU iPhone 5s is volume capped but EU iPads are not. And if true it poses a serious challenge for EU residents.

It's quite easy to grab a non EU iPod Classic. But with phones it is far more difficult with the radio frequencies and all. And tech support is trickier since there are not US iPhones on EU Apple Stores.

The only thing i know is that the EU iPhone 5s output is lower and the amp behaviour is kind of not linear but depending on impedance and intrinsic volume of the files that are being played back. Smells like a SPL based cap. (In addition to the settings one).

Dec 27, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #263 of 391
I have the chance to swap my white and pristine 5s 64gb for a 5s space black (and not so pristine chassis wise) US version.

If i am 100% sure that the US version will output the same power than my (sadly gone) iPhone 4S then i might bite the bullet even if i get a dented bezel iPhone 5s.

But it would be ugly to swap iPhones just the get the same output. In any case it would help to clarify the issue.

It is hard to believe than an EU iPhone 5s is volume capped but EU iPads are not. And if true it poses a serious challenge for EU residents.

It's quite easy to grab a non EU iPod Classic. But with phones it is far more difficult with the radio frequencies and all. And tech support is trickier since there are not US iPhones on EU Apple Stores.

The only thing i know is that the EU iPhone 5s output is lower and the amp behaviour is kind of not linear but depending on impedance and intrinsic volume of the files that are being played back. Smells like a SPL based cap. (In addition to the settings one).

Headroom means freedom to choose headphones and albums. Gives you confidence.

If you listen low intrinsic volume stuff (e.g. original release of synchronicity) with inefficient and/or bad sealing headphones you might run into volume problems sooner than you think.

And as a consumer who has paid 900€ for a 5s 64gb it would be nice not to get a watered down headphone out.

Fortunately my UM3x can get loud even plugged into an exhaust pipe. But it was great the power under the hood that the 4s had even in the nanny EU.

Optimism is the depth of technical ignorance

Dec 28, 2013 at 4:40 AM Post #264 of 391
tugy5uqa.jpg

That's an EU iPhone 3Gs matching the SPL of an EU iPhone 5s at full throttle driving a pair of Shure SE215. (That's a vinyl rip of Pink's. With the cd i would be deaf doin' this comparison)

The improvements in clarity and accuracy are quite audible.
FWIW

Success is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm

Dec 29, 2013 at 2:36 AM Post #267 of 391
ME341LL/A and mine is a US version. I also have a 4S US version so what are you all using to volume match?

It's a rough comparison by ear. I can not pinpoint the exact difference but sure it is more than one volume click and less than two.

Tried with different loads and there is always a difference in favor of iPhone 3GS and 4/4s.

What susprised me even more is the difference in signature. The 5s is more balanced and clear versus the built in warmth of the other iPhones.

Optimism is the depth of technical ignorance

Jan 8, 2014 at 5:59 PM Post #268 of 391
Wouldn't Jailbreaking an EU version of an iPhone 5S fix this terrible EU volume cap and make the volume the same as the US iPhone 5S. A jailbreak has been recently released for the new iPhone 5S and iOS7.

Jan 8, 2014 at 6:35 PM Post #269 of 391
It's good to hear that most people are liking the SQ of the 5S, but, of course, bad to hear that there is an issue with the output power!

Personally, I have still not yet had a time when I couldn't get all the volume I wanted / needed out of the ER-4S's and iP5S combo.  I even have a volume limit programmed in so I don't accidentally blast my ears.

As for the iP4 vs. iP5S, I loved my 4 and found it to be very musical and enjoyable, but going back and forth between the two, I finally found myself preferring the 5S by a good margin with my preferred headphones.  No contest with the Ety ER-4S's--clearly better on the 5S, but yes, definitely not lacking in the high end and detail and some might find this too "aggressive" or harsh.  Not me, though.  I love the detail, clarity, and resolution, and I don't think that it is emphasizing the highs at all.  Not that my ears can tell, anyway.  And I definitely don't find the ER-4S's to be "thin" sounding out of the 5S.  I marvel at the SQ and easily get lost in the music.  It's a detail monster, to be sure, but not thin.

And with my HD-595's, again no contest--noticeably better out of the 5S.  The PX-100's, however, were definitely much better out of the 4.

Anyway, I can totally sympathize with those of you worried about the SQ and output power of the 5S.  For me as well, music is one of the most important things that I do with my iPhone and I'm not keen on using an outboard amp or amp+dac.  It's decidedly inconvenient.

Jan 8, 2014 at 9:35 PM Post #270 of 391
Agree, ER-4S out of the 5S is anything but thin. It sounds really tight, with images having good weight and density.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back