iPhone 5 (and new Touch) has totally new dock connector - 'Lightning' - adapters available but no line-out
Apr 27, 2013 at 1:22 AM Post #391 of 399
I don't know, I just think Apple could have a destroy all DAP on their hands if they stopped and gave it a little more thought. Increase the thickness of the Touch maybe 5 to 8 mm, throw in a top tier mobile DAC and amp chip, increase the storage and bingo, look out world. I'm actually surprised they chose to go the plain Jane mediocre sounding route considering they run around everywhere saying they only put out products when they know it's the best it can be on the market. Did anyone else on here notice that Jobs was never seen walking around with a iPod? I've seen tons of pictures of him wandering around town sporting various Apple gear but never an iPod.

Jun 1, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #392 of 399
I agree with your opinion.

I purchased iPhone5 64GB version so that I can carry all my favorite somes with me and this is NOT cheap.
I do want my collections in my iphone at any time but it quickly fills up when I transfer my ALAC or FLAC(use another app) files.
I really need to decide which collection of songs I want to carry with me.
That means, instead of copying an album, I need to copy individual songs.

At the same time, I like taking photos and video as well, this is not possible at times and I have the same experience with you.
I had to delete my songs and apps.
Later, I need to go through the songs and copy them back one by one.

But, convenience is my priority.
So I am now listening to MP3. Only the ones that I listen frequently are in lossless.
Gee... then what was the purpose of buying a 64GB version????

Apple should have released 64GB, 128GB and 256GB version.
16, 32GB should have been history.

Jun 2, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #393 of 399
I think the big reason why they haven't released these kinds of items is cost. 

I mean here we are crying out for something like this, but perhaps we are in the minority? Apple won't release something they think will sell badly. Especially something with more technology in it that will cost them more to produce. I reckon apple care more these days about their phones and Itunes as that's where most of the money gets raked in. 

With all these items they will be trying to keep the cost to the consumer in a certain area, and their profits in an expanding area.

They are a pretty cut throat company, I wouldn't expect them to release anything they didn't think would make them a pile of dough.

I have a hunch that's why we haven't seen anything like that appear, and unfortunately why we will not see anything like that appear. All comes down to cash.

I am happy to be wrong about this though.

Jun 2, 2013 at 1:19 AM Post #394 of 399
Quote:
I agree with your opinion.

I purchased iPhone5 64GB version so that I can carry all my favorite somes with me and this is NOT cheap.
I do want my collections in my iphone at any time but it quickly fills up when I transfer my ALAC or FLAC(use another app) files.
I really need to decide which collection of songs I want to carry with me.
That means, instead of copying an album, I need to copy individual songs.

At the same time, I like taking photos and video as well, this is not possible at times and I have the same experience with you.
I had to delete my songs and apps.
Later, I need to go through the songs and copy them back one by one.

But, convenience is my priority.
So I am now listening to MP3. Only the ones that I listen frequently are in lossless.
Gee... then what was the purpose of buying a 64GB version????

Apple should have released 64GB, 128GB and 256GB version.
16, 32GB should have been history.

I agree.  I use 256 auto conversion on all of my music now, because I simply have too much and listen to such a wide variety at any given time.  All the time.  I have over a thousand CDs and at 256aac I still can't fit half my albums on my ipod.  I think I did the math once, and I would need about 120 gigs to fit almost everything I own at 256aac while only removing the albums i really don't "need" all the time.  However, the problem I have now is also videos/photos.  My ipod never has more than a few hundred megs free.  So I can't even take many photos let alone a single video, because the ipod doesn't work well without a decent amount of free space.

I even have problems synchronizing it, because it does something with the space and temp space in a way that the free space fluctuates when you sync.  So I sometimes have to remove albums and put them back on just to sync.  This causes the biggest pain in deciding what to sync.  I need to pick songs from every single album, instead of just the entire album.  That turns into an extreme chore.  I buy a new CD, and I need to spend time agonizing over what to remove, which becomes more difficult with every new CD, because I have already removed anything non-critical.

So when you take into account the ipod is actually only 57 or so formatted gigs and you need roughly 500MB for it to run smoothly with no sync issues, etc.  You really only have 56.5 gb (at least in my case).  I just give up videos and photos.  If it's that critical I delete a popular artist directly off the ipod and then just re-sync them later.

I'd be pretty darn happy with a 128gb ipod touch and wouldn't really have any qualms.  I haven't been happy with the 64gb touch since the day I got it coming from a 160gb classic.  I'd take the classic any day.  But that is regarding space.  Functionality-wise I can't live without the touch now. ha.  So a 128 would be a life saver, a 256 would be a godsend.  Even with my 1000+ collection, I'd be satisfied with not getting any bigger than 256.

I don't think we're in the minority per se.  But I do think the numbers probably don't justify the manufacturing costs yet.  Because even if 50% of people would buy a 256gb touch, they probably look at the fact that 45% of those 50% of people would still buy the 64gb because there is nothing bigger.  Therefore they are almost selling the same amount to those people, but they're guaranteeing sales to 98% of everyone.  I hope that made sense.  haha.  Basically, they're saving costs in manufacturing and parts and selling almost the same amount of devices.  I just wish they'd leave the drive specs available/open enough for replacing the ssd.  Then whoever wants to could upgrade to an aftermarket drive.  Same with the classic.

Jun 3, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #395 of 399
Quote:

I agree.  I use 256 auto conversion on all of my music now, because I simply have too much and listen to such a wide variety at any given time.  All the time.  I have over a thousand CDs and at 256aac I still can't fit half my albums on my ipod.  I think I did the math once, and I would need about 120 gigs to fit almost everything I own at 256aac while only removing the albums i really don't "need" all the time.  However, the problem I have now is also videos/photos.  My ipod never has more than a few hundred megs free.  So I can't even take many photos let alone a single video, because the ipod doesn't work well without a decent amount of free space.

I even have problems synchronizing it, because it does something with the space and temp space in a way that the free space fluctuates when you sync.  So I sometimes have to remove albums and put them back on just to sync.  This causes the biggest pain in deciding what to sync.  I need to pick songs from every single album, instead of just the entire album.  That turns into an extreme chore.  I buy a new CD, and I need to spend time agonizing over what to remove, which becomes more difficult with every new CD, because I have already removed anything non-critical.

So when you take into account the ipod is actually only 57 or so formatted gigs and you need roughly 500MB for it to run smoothly with no sync issues, etc.  You really only have 56.5 gb (at least in my case).  I just give up videos and photos.  If it's that critical I delete a popular artist directly off the ipod and then just re-sync them later.

I'd be pretty darn happy with a 128gb ipod touch and wouldn't really have any qualms.  I haven't been happy with the 64gb touch since the day I got it coming from a 160gb classic.  I'd take the classic any day.  But that is regarding space.  Functionality-wise I can't live without the touch now. ha.  So a 128 would be a life saver, a 256 would be a godsend.  Even with my 1000+ collection, I'd be satisfied with not getting any bigger than 256.

I don't think we're in the minority per se.  But I do think the numbers probably don't justify the manufacturing costs yet.  Because even if 50% of people would buy a 256gb touch, they probably look at the fact that 45% of those 50% of people would still buy the 64gb because there is nothing bigger.  Therefore they are almost selling the same amount to those people, but they're guaranteeing sales to 98% of everyone.  I hope that made sense.  haha.  Basically, they're saving costs in manufacturing and parts and selling almost the same amount of devices.  I just wish they'd leave the drive specs available/open enough for replacing the ssd.  Then whoever wants to could upgrade to an aftermarket drive.  Same with the classic.

Only if they allowed to insert an external SD(64GB) card!
The microsim need to be inserted anyway, why not external microSD?
Darn you Apple!

Jun 3, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #396 of 399
T
Only if they allowed to insert an external SD(64GB) card!
The microsim need to be inserted anyway, why not external microSD?
Darn you Apple!

That would be awesome, even if it meant i had to have a few cards and swap thrm...

Sep 11, 2013 at 3:45 AM Post #397 of 399
So what's the best suggested iPhone 5 LOD or converter which doesn't colorize the sound quality of the music from iphone 5 into the DAC or mobile portable amp ?

Sep 12, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #398 of 399
The DAC in the new Touch is actually very good. I find very little left to be desire when using it with iems. With full size cans, the the DAC and amp in the thing do a surprisingly good job, it's just not quite there. Hopefully lightning digital out becomes a reality someday, besides that hdmi dongle.

Sep 12, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #399 of 399
The DAC in the new Touch is actually very good. I find very little left to be desire when using it with iems. With full size cans, the the DAC and amp in the thing do a surprisingly good job, it's just not quite there. Hopefully lightning digital out becomes a reality someday, besides that hdmi dongle.

Cool, thanks for the sharing man,

So as at the moment we speak "lightning digital ' is non existent not in Apple Agenda yet ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back