Iphone 5 and new ipod touch DAC?
Oct 22, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #137 of 200
anyone know if there are any LOD that works with iphone 5? I'm thinking about getting an iphone 5 but idk how that would work with the new dock.

I don't think there are any yet (or probably ever). Audio companies have yet to figure out the whole technique behind Lightning, so it's a bit too early. There's a good chance however that analog audio out will only be attainable via the (lightning to) 30-pin adapter. Otherwise it's Lightning (digital) to amp/dac-combo's like the Sony PHA-1.

Oct 30, 2012 at 1:46 AM Post #139 of 200
The lightning adapter has a Wolfson DAC chip built in so a LOD from the adapter will work fine from that, but the port only sends digital out so there are no possibilities for LOD from here on out with Apple... Sinecthey no longer provide a line level signal out.

I assume companies like Cypher Labs are looking at developing more robust DAC options from the port similar to the way the CLAS does since the Cirrus chip inside the new line up is obviously not in the chain out of the lightning port.

Oct 31, 2012 at 5:09 AM Post #141 of 200
Don't know about the 5th gen,but the 4th gen touch is inferior to ipod classic 7th by far.IMO.I heard my sister's iphone 4 and it also sounded better then the touch.But the classic sounds the best to me.

Nov 6, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #142 of 200
Sorry but I am reposting this from my other thread...

I have a Tmobile US Galaxy S3 hooked up to my Grado PS500s unamped and the sound is excellent and the soundstage is so much bigger. I tried iMac itunes using the itunes preamp/equalizer and it is decent, but soundstage is not as big as the Galaxy S3. I have also tried Ipod photo, Ipod gen 5 which is known to have the best Wolfson DAC of all IPod that was made before Apple switched to a different maker. Did try my newer Ipod touch and the IPad 1, Ipad 2 which is almost identical to IpadMini and the IPad 4 (Ipad 3 Gen 4 with A6x chip)and it seems that the Galaxy Tmobile version has this wide soundstage and it feels HI fi or surround sound. I even turnedoff the Galaxy S3 equalizer and the bass thump is amazing on my Gado PS500s.

I am now thinking if i need to invest on DAC/AMP for my iMac and Gen5 Ipod or just buy an amp for my Galaxy S3.

If anyone has a US version Galaxy S3 could you please verify what I am hearing? It just that the G3 stands out from the rest of the gadget I currently using.

Maybe i will just buy an amp and extra battery for my Galaxy 3?
Edited by Awgd8 - Today at 7:42 am

Nov 7, 2012 at 3:23 PM Post #145 of 200
I just compared my old Ipod Touch 4 to the new  Ipod Touch 5 listening from jazz to hard rock.

I used my beloved Triplefi10s. 

The bottom line is,  with the  Ipod Touch 4 I always listened to my music through the BBE Sonic Max APP , because to my ears , most of the times I was missing the high end sparkle in the treble, even considering that the Triplefi10s are well known to be able to reproduce that well.
Now with the Ipod Touch 5 , I do not need the BBESonic Max anymore. The sparkle is there, therefore, it sounds livelier and  the overall sound is a little fuller to my ears.

I listen to mp3, AAC 256 and 320 kbps. 

Nov 7, 2012 at 5:06 PM Post #146 of 200
I just compared my old Ipod Touch 4 to the new  Ipod Touch 5 listening from jazz to hard rock.

I used my beloved Triplefi10s. 

The bottom line is,  with the  Ipod Touch 4 I always listened to my music through the BBE Sonic Max APP , because to my ears , most of the times I was missing the high end sparkle in the treble, even considering that the Triplefi10s are well known to be able to reproduce that well.
Now with the Ipod Touch 5 , I do not need the BBESonic Max anymore. The sparkle is there, therefore, it sounds livelier and  the overall sound is a little fuller to my ears.

I listen to mp3, AAC 256 and 320 kbps. 

Blame it on the lower output impedance: touch 5 (0'8) and touch 4 (3'9)

Touch 5 is the best ipod ever crafted. On the league of iphone 4/4s and ipad 3.

You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother

Nov 15, 2012 at 3:18 PM Post #148 of 200
Quote:
LOL,  same here.  I can't believe people who use iPods for music consider themselves audiophiles.

I'm not an "audiophile"....I'm a music lover. I listen to the music, not to miniscule differences between different pieces of gear. 

Nov 15, 2012 at 3:33 PM Post #149 of 200
LOL,  same here.  I can't believe people who use iPods for music consider themselves audiophiles.

And I luv when a troll joins just to flame the forums with a BS post. I guess you didn't know that Jude, the site's creator, uses an iPod classic? Oh, wait, he's not an audiophile,...right???

Damn trolls!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back