Iphone 5 and new ipod touch DAC?
Nov 15, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #152 of 200
iPod Touch 5 vs Cowon Z2.

FIGHT!

On a serious note thou. I recently was deciding between a Z2 and an iPod Touch 5 and finally settled for a Z2 but have since been running into some problems. Thinking of letting it go for a iPod Touch 5. Anyone here with experiece with both products care to comment?

Nov 15, 2012 at 8:41 PM Post #153 of 200
I'm considering an iPad 2 mainly for listening to music. Is one of the main features that separate it with the iPod Touch 5, is the iPad has the ability to connect an external DAC to the iPad via a camera connector?

Nov 16, 2012 at 6:20 AM Post #154 of 200
Quote:
iPod Touch 5 vs Cowon Z2.

FIGHT!

On a serious note thou. I recently was deciding between a Z2 and an iPod Touch 5 and finally settled for a Z2 but have since been running into some problems. Thinking of letting it go for a iPod Touch 5. Anyone here with experiece with both products care to comment?

I really like the z2's equalizer, but the ipod touch has a more intuitive interface, not to mention the audiophile apps you have in the app store...

Nov 16, 2012 at 6:35 AM Post #156 of 200
Quote:
Word. I don't really need equalizers and bbe. So how does the two compare in terms of sq on flat no equalizer tweaks?

I haven't spent too much time with the Z2 but I do own an iPod Touch 5g and from what I have, its more of a transparent sound for me, at least through line out and even tried amping it, compared to the ipod classic 7g.

Nov 16, 2012 at 6:45 AM Post #157 of 200
Quote:
I'm considering an iPad 2 mainly for listening to music. Is one of the main features that separate it with the iPod Touch 5, is the iPad has the ability to connect an external DAC to the iPad via a camera connector?

I listen to my Ipad 2 straight out to the Denon AH-D 7000 headphones. To me anyway, it sounds different/better than the 1st generation Touch or Iphone 3 I have.  

The Ipad 2 seems to be a no-brain decision for it's special ease of use with reading books and comics. Surfing the internet is super fast and clear too!

There are ways to get to a DAC with the camera connector also Fii0 makes the L9 line level out which at $9 bucks I'm going to try. This lets you go line out to amps.

The other aspects with these devices is music flow choices and song file searching. Even though Rockbox maybe sounds better in the old classics, there is something about the easy file management you get with I-Tunes.

Nov 16, 2012 at 9:24 AM Post #158 of 200
Quote:
I listen to my Ipad 2 straight out to the Denon AH-D 7000 headphones. To me anyway, it sounds different/better than the 1st generation Touch or Iphone 3 I have.  

The Ipad 2 seems to be a no-brain decision for it's special ease of use with reading books and comics. Surfing the internet is super fast and clear too!

There are ways to get to a DAC with the camera connector also Fii0 makes the L9 line level out which at $9 bucks I'm going to try. This lets you go line out to amps.

The other aspects with these devices is music flow choices and song file searching. Even though Rockbox maybe sounds better in the old classics, there is something about the easy file management you get with I-Tunes.

Thank you.

Jan 24, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #159 of 200
Quote:
Just did a side by side with UM3xs on the new iPhone 5 vs. the 2 year old iPhone 4 (not the 4s).  When you first plug into the iPhone 5, there are six clicks that can be heard over a 3-5 second time frame.  This happens each time you plug in.  There are no clicks on the iPhone 4.  There is also a click when you push play for the first time after plugging in which isn't there on the iPhone 4.

The iPhone 5 is not as ambient as the iPhone 4 in an A/B comparison.  To my ear, the iPhone 5 rolls off the high frequencies a bit, maybe 3-5 db above 1-2kHz.  In comparison, the iPhone 4 is more pleasant and open, with more rosin on the strings, more breath on the flutes, and more brass in the brass.  the iPhone 5 is a bit muffled in comparison.  I've got the 5 currently running into an open wire at full blast to see if any capacitors "form up" overnight to maybe minimize the low pass effect.

I also compared the iPhone 5 to a 4 week old iPod Classic.  The same comparison holds.

So far, I'm disappointed.  I got the 64Gb version to hold much more music than the 32Gb iPhone 4.  This might be going back in favor of a Samsung S3.

Side note: the screen has a greenish tinge compared to the iPhone4, though that's hardly germane on this post.

Thank you so much.  So this isn't an impedance issue with the ipod/iphone 5?  It sounds less ambient/spacious then my ipod classic with a cirrus chip.  I feel the sound is maybe "warmer" but to me it's just slightly lacking high details and bass tightness....

Jan 24, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #160 of 200
Quote:

Thank you so much.  So this isn't an impedance issue with the ipod/iphone 5?  It sounds less ambient/spacious then my ipod classic with a cirrus chip.  I feel the sound is maybe "warmer" but to me it's just slightly lacking high details and bass tightness....

http://monoadc.blog64.fc2.com/blog-entry-99.html

impedance list and graphs.

Jan 24, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #161 of 200
Quote:
http://monoadc.blog64.fc2.com/blog-entry-99.html

impedance list and graphs.

thanks.  i've been looking for that everywhere.  so do you think it is impedance of the other devices causing bass rolloff or treble boost?  All I can say is that of every hi-fi device I've ever heard the ipod touch lacks the micro details I've grown to expect.  From speaker or headphone.  Not a huge difference, but a difference that is noticeable to me.

Jan 24, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #164 of 200
Quote:
5th generation.  .75 ohms output impedance

I am loving the accudio app. Try that with your headphones. theres a free version.

Reference your headphones with it. (one save with the free version, then delete it and change it if you want another save).

seems to clear up my apple problems. gives more details etc.

-Denon audio is another free eq app.

*Upgrading headphones to a more detailed rather than bass heavy set would help also.
* a portable dac/amp will improve things, a portable amp with lod could help also. 
*And of course most importantly have good quality audio files.

Jan 24, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #165 of 200
Quote:
I am loving the accudio app. Try that with your headphones. theres a free version.

Reference your headphones with it. (one save with the free version, then delete it and change it if you want another save).

seems to clear up my apple problems. gives more details etc.

-Denon audio is another free eq app.

*Upgrading headphones to a more detailed rather than bass heavy set would help also.
* a portable dac/amp will improve things, a portable amp with lod could help also. 
*And of course most importantly have good quality audio files.

I use the denon app.  I find it lacking in eq 'quality'.  It works well, but doesn't play drm files either, has glitches with browsing music, is slower than the default browser, has no search function, eats more battery power, etc. etc.

I'll try accudio, but I assume that doesn't play drm either?

How do I know a portable dac will improve the quality?  If impedance is the issue it probably won't, id dac/amp "quality" are the issue, how do I know without hearing one that it will in fact improve the quality? :-/

I use the best files there are on the ipod.  lossless... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back