Iphone 5 and new ipod touch DAC?
Jan 24, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #166 of 200
Wow.  That is hilarious.  I have been accused of not wanting a 'flat' sound because I want to adjust these headphones... If this accudio is anywhere near accurate it almost perfectly adjusted the eq in the same exact way i had been doing with denon by ear. :p  The irony also, while not exact, is that accudio makes the 4r sound more like the pfe in the treble. :p haha

Jan 25, 2013 at 12:36 AM Post #168 of 200
Wow.  That is hilarious.  I have been accused of not wanting a 'flat' sound because I want to adjust these headphones... If this accudio is anywhere near accurate it almost perfectly adjusted the eq in the same exact way i had been doing with denon by ear. :p  The irony also, while not exact, is that accudio makes the 4r sound more like the pfe in the treble. :p haha
ah good i am not going crazy then.

Sounds good to me:)

Mar 21, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #170 of 200
Quote:
I think the new iPod Touch 5G measures better than any other iProduct: http://en.goldenears.net/16149

I agree it measures well, but something about the sound is not as good as the touch in terms of detail resolution.  Perhaps it isn't the quality of the output but maybe how it handles aac files or something...  I'm not sure.  But the difference is so slight.  But it's there.  I could only show someone if let me do a double blind test on them. :p  I don't see a classic on that site for comparison...

Mar 21, 2013 at 11:19 PM Post #173 of 200
Quote:
That's just the impedance. I meant all the specs. :-o

is this what you mean by specs?
http://sonove.angry.jp/RMAA/iPod%20Classic%206th%20160G.htm

or this?
http://sonove.angry.jp/RMAA/iPodClassic6_HP-P1_HM-602_x1060.htm

or this?
http://sonove.angry.jp/RMAA/iPodClassic6_nano6_iPhone4.htm

If not tell me what you mean by specs. Thanks :)

Mar 21, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #174 of 200
Mar 25, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #175 of 200
I just got the latest itouch and after some critical listening and comparison with Dacport (1 ohm modd) with SM64 IEM. My ears tell me that this Itouch has a pretty darn good headphone out. The more I listen, the more I think I am connecting to the Dacport but in actual fact, I am connecting to the headphone out. I still can't believe sound quality is that good from the headphone out... so much has change with dedicated mp3 player.

To confirm my own personal test, I went to do some research as I believe something must have written out there if its that good.. and indeed I found this thread and Ken's review on the critical test.  

I am sure the portable amp/Dac seller would not like you to know and may have a lot to counter.. but my own hearing conclude the Itouch is about on par with the Dacport (95% there).  I would not even consider getting a dedicated portable amp/Dac as it sound really good already.

Anyway enjoy the read below..

http://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/ipod-touch-5g/audio-quality.htm

Mar 25, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #176 of 200
Quote:
I just got the latest itouch and after some critical listening and comparison with Dacport (1 ohm modd) with SM64 IEM. My ears tell me that this Itouch has a pretty darn good headphone out. The more I listen, the more I think I am connecting to the Dacport but in actual fact, I am connecting to the headphone out. I still can't believe sound quality is that good from the headphone out... so much has change with dedicated mp3 player.

To confirm my own personal test, I went to do some research as I believe something must have written out there if its that good.. and indeed I found this thread and Ken's review on the critical test.  

I am sure the portable amp/Dac seller would not like you to know and may have a lot to counter.. but my own hearing conclude the Itouch is about on par with the Dacport (95% there).  I would not even consider getting a dedicated portable amp/Dac as it sound really good already.

Anyway enjoy the read below..

http://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/ipod-touch-5g/audio-quality.htm

Just to be clear :)  I never said it wasn't an amazing output quality.  But the classic sounds just a tad better, and a c5 amp sounds noticeably better.  So it's more that I'm disappointed it isn't as good as the classic.  Otherwise, I've personally never heard any standalone mp3 player that sounds as good as any ipod i've heard.  So, I don't mean to dissuade anyone from getting one.  But there is something about the touch that doesn't bring out the ultra super micro details like the classic.

Mar 25, 2013 at 3:43 PM Post #177 of 200
I have the classic and the Imod as well.. I think the classic by itself is good..  just not as good as Itouch to me
tongue.gif
.  The Daport is one small step further though but not a lot more that I would notice it if I am not in a critical listening mode.

Mar 25, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #178 of 200
Quote:
I have the classic and the Imod as well.. I think the classic by itself is good..  just not as good as Itouch to me
tongue.gif
.  The Daport is one small step further though but not a lot more that I would notice it if I am not in a critical listening mode.

I can say I hear no difference between the two without critically comparing them.  So the difference is extremely small.  But it is to the point where I feel like in general I notice super micro details seem veiled on the touch for me with headphones and in my car using a 3.5 aux connection.  However, I never feel this with the ipod classic with phones or aux connection.  With line out they sound identical in the card and with my c5, but I can't place what the difference is.  I don't think it's frequency response.  I'm thinking it's some level of distortion or something weird causing an "ever so slight" veil in the micro details.  Even though I notice it in general listening and think "why does it sound weird?" it still takes a critical side by side comparison to hear the differences.  And even then, they're not always easy to hear.

In things like the last samurai by hans zimmer, certain instruments just have a more realistic presence on the classic.  As though you hear into them more.  Again, I'm talking very small differences, but still it's like the touch just doesn't have whatever is making the classic stand out as being more crisp and transparent.  You couldn't almost describe the touch as being warmer, but the difference is so small it would really be an accurate word...  I'm not sure.  I'm surprised no one else has done a reviewed comparison on this...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back