Iphone 5 and new ipod touch DAC?
Feb 2, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #181 of 200
Why "Bump" a dead thread? 
wink.gif

Jul 7, 2014 at 9:45 PM Post #186 of 200
Can anyone tell me if ipod touch 5th gen sounds smilar to 4s? I really like 4s signature but If I get same signature in ipod 5th gen then I would like to go for that

The iPod touch 5G is the best DAP out here in sound quality. It's a little better than the 4S, and yes, both has the same sound signature (clean as crystal with out-of-this-world resolution)

I have one and i love it!!! :wink:

Jul 8, 2014 at 4:22 AM Post #188 of 200
Mmm, IMO the iTouch 5G sound like 4S but a little better.
iPhone 5 has 3 ohm impedance curve and is not as flat as the iTouch 5G

Thanks for your input. I'm actually considering a new smartphone but since 4s has the best sound quality (Warm signature which is important to me) I thought of buying 4s but only 8gb capacity

If Ipod Touch 5g sounds similar to 4s (same warm signature) then I will go with Tough 5g and use my current phone

Also if Iphone 5c has similar signature then I will go for this (but 5s has bright signature)

Jul 8, 2014 at 4:32 AM Post #189 of 200

Thanks for your input. I'm actually considering a new smartphone but since 4s has the best sound quality (Warm signature which is important to me) I thought of buying 4s but only 8gb capacity

If Ipod Touch 5g sounds similar to 4s (same warm signature) then I will go with Tough 5g and use my current phone

Also if Iphone 5c has similar signature then I will go for this (but 5s has bright signature)

I have had all the suspects: Touch 5, 4s and 5s.

Differences between them are slight.

There's not a bright one nor a warm one (in my view).

It goes more like this: the iPhone 4s is slighly warmer than the iPhone 5s (Because 4s bass is slightly slower and less controlled). And the 5s sounds pretty darn similar to the Touch 5. To an extent that i doubt many people would tell them apart on a blind test.

Personally i think that the iPhone 5s and the Touch 5 are slightly better than the 4s because both have a bit more clarity and uber tight bass.

In any case all 3 are stunning sources to drive low impedance iems.

Jul 8, 2014 at 7:28 AM Post #190 of 200
 I have had all the suspects: Touch 5, 4s and 5s.

Differences between them are slight.

There's not a bright one or a warm one.

It goes more like this: the iPhone 4s is slighly warmer than the iPhone 5s (Because 4s bass is slightly slower and less controlled). And the 5s sounds pretty darn similar to the Touch 5. To an extent that i doubt many people would tell them apart on a blind test.

Personally i think that the iPhone 5s and the Touch 5 are slightly better than the 4s because both have a bit more clarity and uber tight bass.

In any case all 3 are stunning sources to drive low impedance iems.

+1

If you need a phone: 5S
Only iPod: Touch 5G

Jul 8, 2014 at 7:57 AM Post #191 of 200
+1

If you need a phone: 5S
Only iPod: Touch 5G

I'm basically looking to replace my Nexus 4 as I'm not that happy with sound quality

The problem is I'm mostly listening to average quality files (itunes stores music, mp3 etc). So I'm afraid that 5s would reveal those flaws. I was hoping that 4s will be little more forgiving

Jul 8, 2014 at 8:09 AM Post #192 of 200

I'm basically looking to replace my Nexus 4 as I'm not that happy with sound quality

The problem is I'm mostly listening to average quality files (itunes stores music, mp3 etc). So I'm afraid that 5s would reveal those flaws. I was hoping that 4s will be little more forgiving

I think that the added clarity of the 5s would be slightly more revealing but since 4s is no slouch in terms of resolution i'd choose based on other criteria (price, 4G, screen, battery, cpu...). Slight is key to understand the difference in sound between 5s and 4s.

If your iem do not sound great with an iPhone 5s or an iPhone 4s ditch you iem or your files because for sure iPhone headphone out is not the weak link.

Jul 8, 2014 at 8:26 AM Post #193 of 200

In my iTouch 5G the only detail I can hear is the detail of the music itself (breaths, strings, fingers, etc.), not flaws. It's not THAT revealing, and will be the same on 5S i think.
Revealing is not a problem, it has perfect balance of warm and analytical. The sound is pleasant and full-bodied, lifelike. Go ahead with 5S or iTouch 5G and don't care about that.

PD: I used a Grado SR325is, ultra-revealing, bright like the sun, and compressed files. Curiously, in my iTouch 5G sounded warm and pleasant most of the time :)
Obviously sometime I heard recording flaws, but not massively, more like a natural way, nothing to worry about.

Jul 8, 2014 at 8:28 AM Post #194 of 200
In my iTouch 5G the only detail I can hear is the detail of the music itself (breaths, strings, fingers, etc.), not flaws. It's not THAT revealing, and will be the same on 5S i think.
Revealing is not a problem, it has perfect balance of warm and analytical. The sound is pleasant and full-bodied, lifelike. Go ahead with 5S or iTouch 5G and don't care about that.

+1

It's gonna get as good as the record is. As it should be.

My only gripe about Touch 5 or 5s is that they don't have 256 Gb of built in storage.

Jul 12, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #195 of 200
I have a 2008 Infiniti car that only comes with RCA (Aux) and power outlet in the middle console. So I have this old 2nd Gen Ipod touch and hooked up to the 3.5mm plug to RCA. The sound is so clear compared to my car's head unit. The only problem is since it is an RCA and not USB, i cannot control the itouch through the head unit excoet the volume.

So I searched online and found out about the Tango remote app. You can use any apple device with a bluetooth capabilites and you now can control the other apple device. Initially, i used the Ipad as the remote and the old itouch as the audio player and it works seemlessly.

I was so happy that I decided to buy a Gen5 itouch and use it as the audio player and the old itouch as my remote. Using the Tango app, I could navigate through the GEN 5 itouch audio files using the remote old itouch. It is like having all my music being access (controlled) through the Car's head unit, but better bec. The control is on the palm of my hanf. :D

Sound is excellent using the Gen5 itouch. My car speaker are Poineer TSD1602R. Beautiful clear sound coming from both speakers and Gen5 itouch. It will be a plus to anyone if they already have an iphone. They can use the iphone as a remote control.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back