iPhone 4S
Oct 17, 2011 at 1:11 PM Post #106 of 187
Lower output impedance will translate into a cleaner LOD signal. The IP4 noticeably beat the 3GS and I don't see the 4GS doing any better. User impressions are tricky, you have to counter in IEMs/headphones used, amps used, possible placebos and preference variables/conditions. I think that IP4>>4GS>3GS no matter the user because the 4 will be a direct upgrade from the 4GS because they share the same signature but the 4 has a more linear response. 

Oct 17, 2011 at 1:40 PM Post #107 of 187
Good to know. 

We still don't know what the DAC is, right? Won't that effect the sound signature? Or will these specs trump all no matter what it happens to be...

Oct 17, 2011 at 3:16 PM Post #108 of 187
Yeah that won't change anything, it's just the name of the DAC these results are showing you the nature of the DAC. Pretty sure it's the same one or the one used in the Ipad 2. There's not a big difference in the DAC of the IP4 and Ipad 2 anyways, so the DAC being used isn't going to be anything hugely different and the results show that, the drop-off are almost exactly the same. 

Oct 18, 2011 at 1:29 AM Post #111 of 187
am I missing something ? the RMAA results for the Iphone 4S - look just as good if not slightly better in some areas (all be it weaker in frequency response and crosstalk)

the SNR is better

the THD is quite a bit better on the 4S according to those graphs

the IMD plot looks better to me too

Oct 18, 2011 at 2:10 AM Post #112 of 187
SNR is better, but the difference is so small it's insignificant.

THD is a bit better but the IP4 has a really good THD anyways so I wouldn't worry about this.

IMD is better on the 4GS, but once again it's a small improvement and both are really good anyways and won't have any audible noise. 

Thing is, the IP4 has a flatter response by a pretty noticeably margin and also a pretty big lead in crosstalk, both of which will be audible whereas the other variants hardly are if anything. 

The 4GS does do better in certain things, but by a small amount and in areas where the improvement will be hardly audible. 

Oct 18, 2011 at 6:01 AM Post #113 of 187

Quote:
SNR is better, but the difference is so small it's insignificant.

THD is a bit better but the IP4 has a really good THD anyways so I wouldn't worry about this.

IMD is better on the 4GS, but once again it's a small improvement and both are really good anyways and won't have any audible noise. 

Thing is, the IP4 has a flatter response by a pretty noticeably margin and also a pretty big lead in crosstalk, both of which will be audible whereas the other variants hardly are if anything. 

The 4GS does do better in certain things, but by a small amount and in areas where the improvement will be hardly audible. 

I concur. The most noticiable difference will be the frequency response that will be more linear in the iPhone 4 because of  its lower output impedance.

Anyway i think we are talking about very tiny differences here. Both iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S are smartphone sound quality leaders by leaps and bounds. You can't go wrong with any of them. Even the 3GS is a hell of a dap.

Oct 18, 2011 at 4:24 PM Post #115 of 187
Eagerly waiting for the 4S release in Spain 
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 18, 2011 at 6:47 PM Post #116 of 187
I love how my iphone 4 sounds straight from the headphone jack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 18, 2011 at 8:32 PM Post #117 of 187
Cant believe the lineup of tragics outside Apple Stores here in Oz for the 4S, esp when it was announced as a relatively minor revision. SQ-wise, I'd love to see some independent measurements for the iPhone and the current Touch. My 6G Nano was great, but I don't anticipate buying another one.

Oct 18, 2011 at 9:16 PM Post #118 of 187
ordered mine today, can't wait to pair it with my m50s!

Oct 18, 2011 at 11:05 PM Post #119 of 187
With my m50's the sound quality definitely got worse moving from the iPhone 4 to the iPhone 4s...

I am playing the same songs and I swear the bass seems less punchy and the highs aren't as clear. But I don't know if I could ABX it.

Oct 19, 2011 at 2:36 AM Post #120 of 187
Cant believe the lineup of tragics outside Apple Stores here in Oz for the 4S, esp when it was announced as a relatively minor revision. SQ-wise, I'd love to see some independent measurements for the iPhone and the current Touch. My 6G Nano was great, but I don't anticipate buying another one.

Current touch is pretty average in sound, the 3GS/4/4GS iPhones and even the Nano are much better. The 6G nano is on par with the 3GS. 

6G Nano graph, 4G Touch graph

Users who are viewing this thread

Back