iPhone 4S
Oct 20, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #136 of 187

Quote:
Listening to apple lossless on a 4S 64 GB > pico slim > 1964 Q4 IEM.  Response is nothing short of incredible.  Very nice sound stage.  Will have to keep listening for any meaning discriminating specifics but overall like the sound much better than my Gen 5 iPod.

How is the radio interference when the phone is on?  Pico Slim and quads are my portable rig, along with a touch 4G in airplane mode...

Oct 21, 2011 at 4:30 PM Post #137 of 187
http://www.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone_4s-review-665p5.php

Some more numbers.

Oct 21, 2011 at 5:09 PM Post #138 of 187

[tr] [td] Test[/td] [td] Frequency response[/td] [td] Noise level[/td] [td] Dynamic range[/td] [td] THD[/td] [td] IMD + Noise[/td] [td] Stereo crosstalk[/td] [/tr] [tr] [td] Apple iPhone 4S[/td] [td] +0.02, -0.11[/td] [td] -91.2[/td] [td] 91.2[/td] [td] 0.0020[/td] [td] 0.012[/td] [td] -93.0[/td] [/tr]

Those are some serious numbers.  

mtntrance -  I sold my PicoSlim a couple months back cause I needed the money.  Best iem amp I have ever heard, by some distance.  Some day I have to get myself another.

Siri continues to impress.  The ability to write and send emails without looking at the phone is breathtaking.  

Oct 21, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #139 of 187
I got my 4S yesterday and have been listening to it un-amped with JH-16s. Previously 
I used the 16s with my iPad 2 and iPhone 4, which shattered. The 4S is definitely not inferior to either device using the headphone jack. In fact it may be better -- earlier today I was finally able decipher some Thom Yorke lyrics that I've listened to dozens of times on various rigs. 

I would not be discouraged by test results. The 4S sounds quite good with JH-16s. 

Oct 22, 2011 at 3:34 PM Post #140 of 187

Quote:
I got my 4S yesterday and have been listening to it un-amped with JH-16s. Previously 
I used the 16s with my iPad 2 and iPhone 4, which shattered. The 4S is definitely not inferior to either device using the headphone jack. In fact it may be better -- earlier today I was finally able decipher some Thom Yorke lyrics that I've listened to dozens of times on various rigs. 

I would not be discouraged by test results. The 4S sounds quite good with JH-16s.

That is exactly the setup I'm hoping to have: iPhone 4S and JH-16's (or JH-11's), but this battery issue is putting me off. It would be good to know roughly how long the battery lasts playing ALAC, AAC or MP3. I would be surprised if it lasts the quoted 40 hours.

Oct 26, 2011 at 3:19 AM Post #141 of 187
My 4S arrived 6 days ago. I wasn't going to buy one, but when a good friend of mine asked if I was selling my 4 to buy the 4S it was a chance to change for minimal outlay.

Battery life - first 2 days were dreadful. Now very good. I have everything on except bluetooth and push email. I have 5 email accounts and all 5 on push seemed to impact battery too much. 20% in 2 hours. With push email off its 10% in 3 hours now.

Audio - Appears better than the 4. Clearly refined instruments, soundstage improved, even using my belkin fm transmitter sounds better.

Oct 26, 2011 at 4:00 AM Post #142 of 187
I really like my iPhone4 as a DAP. I don't have a data plan for my phone, so I don't even know if it's worth it to upgrade, EVEN IF it sounded better

Oct 26, 2011 at 12:34 PM Post #143 of 187
Just ordered one for my lovely wife.  Should be here in a week or two.  I'll play with it a bit as well, and then decide whether to upgrade from the 3GS yet.  The ipod touch is my source of choice for music.  iPhone just gets plugged into my car stereo for the most part.  iPhone is really only a smart phone for me, not a music source.  I plan to downgrade to the 16gb if I buy one.

Oct 26, 2011 at 10:40 PM Post #144 of 187
How is the battery life on the 4s? I am picking one up on the 29th if everything goes according to plan.

I turn 19 on October 29th so it's a gift to me from me.

Oct 27, 2011 at 1:09 AM Post #145 of 187
Have not noticed any radio interference yet.

Nov 6, 2011 at 7:57 AM Post #146 of 187
I don't know about you guys but I ordered mine October 8, the first day pre-orders were available, at about twelve o'clock noon from Best Buy. I was expecting to get it on launch day, but I still don't have it! I am starting to get really p-oed and would just like to know if anyone else is having the same or a similar problem.

Nov 6, 2011 at 9:55 AM Post #147 of 187
I've heard someone else on headfi claim the Itouch 4 was superior sounding to the iPhone 4. Guess different ears different opinions. 
cool.gif
 BTW guys is the iPhone 4 touch screen suppose to be very laggy? I seem to be having major issues with that as its very unresponsive. I don't think that is normal operation but I could be wrote (this issue is very apparent while typing on headfi especially.) If its not then that could give me an excuse to get the IPhone4s free of charge from my square trade warranty :)

Nov 6, 2011 at 10:13 AM Post #148 of 187

Quote:
I've heard someone else on headfi claim the Itouch 4 was superior sounding to the iPhone 4. Guess different ears different opinions. 
cool.gif
 BTW guys is the iPhone 4 touch screen suppose to be very laggy? I seem to be having major issues with that as its very unresponsive. I don't think that is normal operation but I could be wrote (this issue is very apparent while typing on headfi especially.) If its not then that could give me an excuse to get the IPhone4s free of charge from my square trade warranty :)

none of the iphone touch screens a laggy in the least.  However the head-fi site is NOT mobile browser friendly.   Some days it is speedy, some days it is not.  Maybe one day they'll make it more friendly to smartphones in general.

Nov 6, 2011 at 10:18 AM Post #149 of 187
I agree with lee730
typing on my iPod on headfi is horrendously difficult
Im using it right now
an in case you couldn't tell it is sucking 
big time

Id love to see a head fi app or a mobile optimized site. Even when I run head fi on google chrome it is a little bit messed up

Nov 6, 2011 at 11:49 AM Post #150 of 187
To make the website more safari friendly, goto your profile settings or somewhere in there, and tick option to format threads width. Everything becomes a lot better, not perfect though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back