iPhone 4S audio chip ?
Oct 19, 2011 at 6:38 PM Post #31 of 57

Quote:
The iPhone 4S is truly a remarkable device, and there's almost nothing it can't do.  The only thing I would like would be a slightly larger Retina display but not at the cost of pixels per inch -- there is no other display like the Retina display.  Some come close, but close doesn't count.  I find it hard looking at my 24" iMac or 24" Dell Ultrasharp monitors afterwards, which are also IPS.  The Retina display gives us a small taste of what 4K video is probably going to look like when we start seeing it towards the end of the decade.  (If you ask people what they would prefer, 3D or 4K, most will say 4K.)

I'm not sure why so many people want a thinner phone -- so they have less room on the sides to grab onto and drop them more frequently?  The curved back of the previous generations was ergonomically better and easier to hold on to.  I think the ideal iPhone would be a marriage of the two with a larger Retina display.  I know people are wanting an edge-to-edge screen but I doubt it will happen.  Most cases cover the edge of the glass and would therefore cover some of the display.

I'm pretty sure Apple already has the iPhone 5 designed but they are probably holding back until they can perfect the power management aspect of LTE.  People who use 4G hate the short battery life they get as a result and Apple likely won't compromise on something as important as that.

Have you heard of the Galaxy Nexus? It eats the 4S's lunch. 

Oct 19, 2011 at 10:03 PM Post #32 of 57
samsung makes those a5 chips in the iphones don't they.
no matter how you look at it samsung profits from apples success.
only thing is that the relationship right now is lop-sided in samsung's favour.

Oct 25, 2011 at 10:05 AM Post #33 of 57

Quote:
Have you heard of the Galaxy Nexus? It eats the 4S's lunch. 

And just how do you come to that conclusion?

The Nexus has a .2ghz faster processor, but is it optimized specifically for the Nexus and it's hardware? No. 

The Nexus has 1GB of RAM vs 512, but is it optimized specifically for the Nexus? No. 

You only have a 5mp camera vs 8 in the iPhone plus the larger aperture, back lighting etc. fail for nexus again. 

An enormous 4.64in screen? Well that's a matter of taste I suppose, but keep in mind the iPhone has 10 more pixels per inch so it's STILL a better screen. 

What else? LTE? A feature is worthless if you can't use it. And 95% of the population can't use it. 

The bottom line is there are over 50 Android powered smartphones floating around and there is just no way to optimize the software/hardware to even come close to what iPhone provides users. Your app store is a joke and is virus-laden, too many companies in the water to have a fully optimized and tailored system-to-hardware experience. Raw specs mean absolutely nothing if the optimization is not there.

Apple is still getting a ton of stuff wrong, and their incremental updates put it a year behind other phones, but you can't deny that the iPhone is the best overall smartphone on the planet. Every single metric point to that fact, save for the raw specs category. IMHO, YMMV

Oct 25, 2011 at 10:25 AM Post #34 of 57

Quote:

The Nexus has a .2ghz faster processor, but is it optimized specifically for the Nexus and it's hardware? No. 

The Nexus has 1GB of RAM vs 512, but is it optimized specifically for the Nexus? No. 

You only have a 5mp camera vs 8 in the iPhone plus the larger aperture, back lighting etc. fail for nexus again. 

An enormous 4.64in screen? Well that's a matter of taste I suppose, but keep in mind the iPhone has 10 more pixels per inch so it's STILL a better screen. 

What else? LTE? A feature is worthless if you can't use it. And 95% of the population can't use it. 

The bottom line is there are over 50 Android powered smartphones floating around and there is just no way to optimize the software/hardware to even come close to what iPhone provides users. Your app store is a joke and is virus-laden, too many companies in the water to have a fully optimized and tailored system-to-hardware experience. Raw specs mean absolutely nothing if the optimization is not there.

Apple is still getting a ton of stuff wrong, and their incremental updates put it a year behind other phones, but you can't deny that the iPhone is the best overall smartphone on the planet. Every single metric point to that fact, save for the raw specs category. IMHO, YMMV

Pretty much spot-on. Android lack of hardware standards make it hard for developers to take full advantage from top end components. WP7 will be more of a contender in that hardware/software integration.

Oct 25, 2011 at 10:35 AM Post #35 of 57

Quote:
Pretty much spot-on. Android lack of hardware standards make it hard for developers to take full advantage from top end components. WP7 will be more of a contender in that hardware/software integration.

If anyone can unseat Apple, it's Microsoft and it's deep pockets. While I use an iPhone, I have absolutely NO qualms about jumping ship for something better. Apple had been resting on its laurels for long enough. If not Mango, I hope the next MS OS is paired with industry-leading specs.......fully optimized. I had high hopes for the Nokia N9. Too bad.

Oct 25, 2011 at 10:35 AM Post #36 of 57

Quote:

Well said. I wouldn't mind the screen being a little bigger for web browsing, but 4.6inch? That's getting beyond any semblance of pocketability, especially if you put a case on it, as I would on an expensive device.

Oct 25, 2011 at 12:51 PM Post #37 of 57
Hahahaa. the nexus.. that thing is a giant ugly crappy pixel brick.. hell the galaxy S2 has a better screen and camera and same processor... except it has a 43ohm output impedence so it sucks as a music player..

oh and lets not forget the fragmentation of the Android... new version out? Awesome.. you'll be able to upgrade to it in 1-52 weeks, depending on when your handset maker+carrier decide to get around it it... and the bloat of software that it comes with that you cannot remove unless you hack it should be deemed CRIMINAL..

Android.. what a joke

Oct 25, 2011 at 1:37 PM Post #38 of 57

Quote:
Hahahaa. the nexus.. that thing is a giant ugly crappy pixel brick.. hell the galaxy S2 has a better screen and camera and same processor... except it has a 43ohm output impedence so it sucks as a music player..

oh and lets not forget the fragmentation of the Android... new version out? Awesome.. you'll be able to upgrade to it in 1-52 weeks, depending on when your handset maker+carrier decide to get around it it... and the bloat of software that it comes with that you cannot remove unless you hack it should be deemed CRIMINAL..

Android.. what a joke

Couldn't agree more with your post. Totally true in all the points.

Oct 25, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #39 of 57

Geek. let a true geek who actually knows what he is talking about join this conversation

The iPhone 4S is faster than the Nexus. The 4S is actually clocked at 800MHz not 1GHz as ppl say. Search this up. the Nexus uses the same ARM cpu as any other smartphone. but the SOC it uses is an OMAP. seach up other phones that use OMAP's at 1.2GHz and do some ratios..... the 800MHz is still faster. look up anandtech's benchmark. as other readers said. yes. unlike apple. samsung does not specifically optomize the cores for the phones as we can see since it used two differnt SOC's for 2 of their phones. the exynos on the galaxys s2 and the OMAP on the galaxy nexus. secondly. the 720p screen on the nexus sucks. search this up. it has super amoled screen...but question is? why isn't it super amoled plus like the galxy S2? it uses the cheaper pentile technolgoy to keep costs down. most screens use 3 pixels. rGB. that phone only has 2. pentile technology results in weird colors. less sharpness contrast and what not. add that into the fact that the screen is larger and the REAL density of the screen is around 200. samsung realized this and dint' want to get sued and so they just called it super amoled and not add the plus in. the graphics chip on the iphone 4s is unrivaled by any company be it the mali 400 in teh S2 or the tegra's geforce. not to mention it has a state of teh art audience noise canceling chip. even better is the Cirrus logic DAC in the phone. sure the wolfson ones of the days before might be what some audiophiles might've preferred. but with a LOD. i have no qualms

i'm lazy to get links. seach any of this up and you will. see..duh i just happen to be a tech geek and an audiophile

Oct 25, 2011 at 11:25 PM Post #40 of 57
Here is the teardown from IHS iSuppli

"A noise cancellation chip from Audience that had been included in the iPhone 4 is not found in the iPhone 4S, suggesting that the noise cancellation functions may have been incorporated directly into the main A5 system-on-a-chip"

HD super amoled on Galaxy Note is very good actually. Better than super amoled plus on Galaxy SII.
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Samsung-Galaxy-Note-and-Galaxy-Nexus-sport-HD-Super-AMOLED---is-the-PenTile-matrix-bad-for-you_id23134

I love the sound output from iPhone 4S so far. Is just as good as my Galaxy S with Voodoo Kernel and Cowon J3.

Oct 26, 2011 at 12:40 AM Post #41 of 57

Quote:
Design wise, Samsung just copy Apple imo. And in this case, WP7 isn't the same as the other OS. Android and iOS are just about "a lot of icons on your screen". WP7 is integrating everything in a smart and design waythat has never been seen before.

Seing the Nokia N9, which should be the same hardware as the WP7 one, it might be the greatest phone ever: http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_n9-review-659.php

Actually the N9 should have been that one but since Meego is abandonned...

There is no Samsung as beautiful as the N9. Samsung make good phones but after trying a Galaxy S I went running back to my iPhone 4. The thing randomly lags, the browser sucks, the email client won't even load pictures until you click on the attachment and then it takes its own sweet time to load it. It was not fun to use at all and by fun I don't mean that it should be "fun" but usable. I agree that WP7 looks a hell of a lot better than Android. Just put WP7 on the N9 form factor and I think it would be the only real contender to the iPhone 4/4S. 

Oct 26, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #43 of 57

Quote:
BTW, iphone4 has a better sound than 4s....

Oh boy, please explain! What actually makes it sound better? You know, through the DAC and amp via the headphone jack? Or through the dock connector--external amp---etc? Headphones? In ear monitors? Floor monitors? 5th order band pass box in a crew cab Chevy with 6x9's in the doors? Please be specific if you could sir. It's for posterity, you know? TIA

John

Oct 27, 2011 at 12:17 AM Post #44 of 57

Users who are viewing this thread

Back