iPhone 4G Leaked
Apr 20, 2010 at 6:28 AM Post #31 of 41
I like the design quite a bit. The rounded iPhones don't sit on a tabletop well and I preferred the original iPhone because of that. My 3G is getting a little long in the tooth, so I am absolutely going to buy one. The thinner profile and larger battery would be wonderful. A higher res screen would be terrific, as well.

I'm on the fence as to whether this was deliberately leaked.

On one hand, Apple is fanatically secretive.

On the other, the various Android phones have been getting a lot of press lately and the HTC Incredible is generating buzz.

This completely killed that and is getting loads of attention. And, really, what's the downside? Is seeing a model two months early going to keep people from buying one? Hell no. Apple wants to sell iPhones more than anything else, and the 3GS's spotlight has been fading. A stunt like this puts the spotlight right back on Apple.

I hope the engineer's life and career aren't screwed up, assuming this was a legitimate screwup. For all of us who have screwed up (and I certainly have), it'd be nice if he simply gets his back end chewed out and keeps his job.

Also, even with this leak, there are still a lot of questions. For one, how much system memory does this thing have? IIRC, the 3GS is at 256MB, but 512MB or better would make this thing fly. Second, I wonder what the proc is. Apple dropped something entirely new into the iPad - the A4. Will there be an A4 or something else new in the G4 iPhone?

At any rate, I can't wait to get my hands on one.
smile.gif

Apr 20, 2010 at 6:51 AM Post #32 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They all look the same to me.

This man speaks the truth... Why buy an iPod when you could get a Hello Kitty DAP?

helloKitty3.jpg

I bought an app the other day that turns it into a pez dispenser. How can you lose when you're listening to jazz music on the bus with your plastic kitten that also dispenses delicious hard candy? You can't.

Apr 20, 2010 at 8:03 PM Post #34 of 41
In case anyones been following this whole affair, I think them releasing the name of the person who lost the iPhone publicly on the internet was outrageous and disrespectful.
I think this sums it up nicely.

Quote:

iPhone Leak Story: Winner and Losers

So who are the Winners and Losers in the story?

Loser: Gray Powell - even if he doesn't get fired the apple software engineer will always been known as the "drunk dude who lost the iphone 4G"

Winner: Gray Powell on his 27th birthday and for celebrating atthe Gourmet Haus Staudt in Redwood City - it has an excellent of German beer.

Winner: Engadget - for taking the moral high ground and perhaps getting some residual but morally spotless traffic.

Loser: Engadget - for missing out on 5 million pages views for the iphone leak story - ater all if web sites did not rely on unseemly traffic we would all be out of business.

Winner: Gizmodo - for getting a scoop and 5 million pages views, wow.

Loser: Gizmodo - for outing Gray Powell and for practicing check book journalism.

Big Winner: Apple receives more free press for a product that is not even released than any other company could hope for.

Apple could easily spend zero dollars on marketing because the sycophantic online groupies will cover every belch from Cupertino with breathless anticipation.

So, Steve Jobs and Apple can continue to thumb their noses at the tech sector in general - after all owning Apple products is I imagine like dating super models - they are beautiful and you brag about them to your friends, hoping desperately to be seen and noticed in public with them.

John Battelle, one of the forces behind the W2 conference posted an open letter to Apple saying the company's previous popularity was because it was the scrappy under dog but now...

New iPhone Leak: Gray Powell, Gizmodo Journalism and Apple | NowPublic News Coverage

Apr 21, 2010 at 4:14 PM Post #35 of 41
Nice work, Gray, *hic*

That's okay, I hear Facebook is hiring.

As far a Gizmodo goes, they are a news organization and I defend their printing Gray Powell's name. I work for a paper and, sorry, but the news has never been kind. If you're 18 and get sexy with the neighbors cocker spaniel and are arrested for it - welcome to news.

Apr 21, 2010 at 5:17 PM Post #36 of 41
It sucks to be that guy that's all i know.

Apr 26, 2010 at 11:26 PM Post #37 of 41
Looks like the Gizmodo Editor that leaked the iPhone 4G just got his house raided by the police and his computer equipment confiscated. It's ThinkSecret all over again.

Apr 27, 2010 at 12:45 AM Post #38 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks like the Gizmodo Editor that leaked the iPhone 4G just got his house raided by the police and his computer equipment confiscated. It's ThinkSecret all over again.

Sucks to be that guy too.

May 28, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #40 of 41
I was expecting something a lot better. We can't even use you to make calls.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back