iPhone 4
Jun 27, 2010 at 3:46 AM Post #61 of 124
Quote:
I just went to the Apple store with my JH13. Listened to a couple song they had preloaded and sound quality outta the hp out is very very nice as far as I could tell in that limited time. I'd say just as good as the 3GS. No hiss either

And the music was probably compressed in lossy fashion as well, albeit in iTunes (plus/256k) AAC format. So while it could have been worse, it could have been better as well.

Jun 27, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #62 of 124
So does the iPhone 4 sound the same as the headphone out of a 3gs / iTouch 3g, or different?

Jun 30, 2010 at 7:43 PM Post #63 of 124
IMO it sounds about the same, which is decent b/c the HP out for the 3GS was pretty nice.  Very little hiss, same soundstage, no radio-interference so far.  My complaint is that even on the lowest setting, the volume is still too loud for "studying."  With that said, that's just a preference b/c i like just soft ambient background music when studying.  With my amp, I have excellent control of the volume through my IEMs.

Some posters complained the volume jumps too much for their preference, well it's still there.  So if that annoys you, I figure you could do without an upgrade.  

EDIT:  Ok there is some interference that can be fixed on airplane mode, but you can't realistically expect no radio-interference from the phone.

Jul 2, 2010 at 12:15 AM Post #66 of 124
No USB out with the 3GS, and I'm not sure if it's been tried yet with the iPad camera connection kit and the iPhone 4. It would be very interesting if it worked!

Jul 2, 2010 at 12:26 AM Post #67 of 124
Why on earth don't they offer USB out?  Why not?  It's just a matter of "turning it on" in the software right?  Not a hardware issue?

Realistically though, how many people would actually use it?  Probably less than .01 percent of iphone users...

Jul 2, 2010 at 1:28 AM Post #68 of 124

Quote:
The WWDC keynote didn't turn out so well. The Wi-Fi wasn't working so he bailed on that. Steve asked for suggestions from the audience and someone shouts, "Try Verizon."

http://gizmodo.com/5557458/watch-the-steve-jobs-keynote-meltdown

yeah.  it was a pretty terrible keynote.  He kept making excuses when the video calling was stuttering.  Pretty much, I got the message that "your iphone 4 will work awesome just as long as everybody else has their wifi off".

Also, jobs kept insisting how much more amazing the retina display looked when comparing it on screen.  I was watching it on a low-quality stream so I couldn't tell, but all I could hear from the audience was a pity-applause.

I'm loving the new hardware that apple from apple but I always find a excuse to avoid their product.  for the iphone, its the ridiculous at&t plan

Jul 2, 2010 at 2:24 AM Post #70 of 124
Jul 3, 2010 at 9:25 AM Post #71 of 124

Quote:
yeah.  it was a pretty terrible keynote.  He kept making excuses when the video calling was stuttering.  Pretty much, I got the message that "your iphone 4 will work awesome just as long as everybody else has their wifi off".

Also, jobs kept insisting how much more amazing the retina display looked when comparing it on screen.  I was watching it on a low-quality stream so I couldn't tell, but all I could hear from the audience was a pity-applause.

I'm loving the new hardware that apple from apple but I always find a excuse to avoid their product.  for the iphone, its the ridiculous at&t plan

The camera quality is like an SD webcam from the front therefore the Facetime is only "cool" due to its novelty to Americans.  Since it's over wifi hopefully apple implements it in the ipod Touch so many more users can get the device and talk to iphone owners.  

x3 on the display.  It's noticeably clearer than many phone displays out there.

Apple feels their products are "superior" to other products therefore charge a premium for their stuff.  I agree with some of it, and feel like you get what you pay for, but is a $2,000 dollar machine going to work twice as well as a $1k machine?  

JamesL there's a data plan for $15 dollars now.  If you have wifi almost everywhere you go, you'll def stay under that 200MB, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Jul 3, 2010 at 11:42 AM Post #72 of 124
Has anyone who does have the new iPhone been experiencing the antenna issue? What does everyone think of Steve Jobs' response, as well as the fix to this supposed software glitch that doesn't address the antenna issue at all?

Jul 3, 2010 at 12:13 PM Post #73 of 124

Quote:
Has anyone who does have the new iPhone been experiencing the antenna issue? What does everyone think of Steve Jobs' response, as well as the fix to this supposed software glitch that doesn't address the antenna issue at all?

Yeah that video that I watched that I mentioned in a previous post clearly showed the iPhone 4 dropping calls when the antenna was held bottom left, and the 3GS he was making the call to right by it's side had no such problems. I'd be very surprised if this software update fixes the issue, I can't really see how it would. If that turns out to be the case, Apple's response is a joke. I was seriously considering upgrading to the iPhone 4, but in all honesty I reckon my jailbroken 3GS is in some important ways better. For example the multi-tasking on a jailbroken iPhone is better implemented, no major signal issues, some ingenious bits of open-source software such as SBsettings etc. etc.

If the new iPhone was a much bigger upgrade over my 3GS I probably would have ordered by now, but I think I will sit on the fence until I see what comes of the antenna issues, and if a jailbreak becomes available (which I'm sure it will). The upgraded camera(s) and other hardware would be nice, but to me it's not a dealbreaker.

Jul 3, 2010 at 1:06 PM Post #74 of 124
Jul 3, 2010 at 2:14 PM Post #75 of 124

Quote:

Is that supposed to make me want one?

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/24/some-iphone-4-models-see-signals-drop-to-0-when-held-left-handed/

2nd video down. Yes the signal may be improved overall, after all that was the point in the external antenna - but its the dropping of calls when the phone is held in that way thats concerning people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back