iPhone 4
Jun 7, 2010 at 8:35 PM Post #16 of 124
Oh yeah, tabbed browsing and it's like 40% thinner
tongue.gif

Jun 7, 2010 at 11:29 PM Post #17 of 124

Quote:
I like it, but no OLED (I know, bad in sunlight) and flash leaves a bad taste.

IPS displays can (emphasis on CAN) offer colors that are similarly as vivid as OLEDs. I have an HP monitor with an IPS panel that matches the beautiful colors of my Nexus One's display, only with more accuracy since it's calibrated. Whether or not the display in the iPhone 4 lives up to that- I don't know.

Jun 8, 2010 at 12:03 AM Post #18 of 124
So the new screen is for sure an IPS? Personally, I am not happy with OLED vibrance - too vibrant, like looking through overly saturated HDR renders. Until OLED saturation can settle into more 'real life' looks (like you see out of your eyes), I'll stick with a high quality IPS. But... anyway, IPS and OLED is moot considering we are staying out of the professional field here. A Phone screen I care very little about, but my computer screen is very important. 

Jun 8, 2010 at 3:45 AM Post #21 of 124
I forgot to mention the new gyroscope
redface.gif
!

Jun 8, 2010 at 5:15 AM Post #22 of 124
Hardware keeps up with the game, it's reasonably up to date, but the battle of platforms continues in the software, unless someone thinks up of something brilliant and world changing with the gyroscope

Jun 8, 2010 at 7:32 AM Post #23 of 124

Quote:
So the new screen is for sure an IPS? Personally, I am not happy with OLED vibrance - too vibrant, like looking through overly saturated HDR renders. Until OLED saturation can settle into more 'real life' looks (like you see out of your eyes), I'll stick with a high quality IPS. But... anyway, IPS and OLED is moot considering we are staying out of the professional field here. A Phone screen I care very little about, but my computer screen is very important. 

Samsung's new superAMOLED displays in wave/galaxy S is of MUCH higher quality than current OLED screens used in phones like the nexus one. and the galaxy s has mDNIe, an image enhancing engine in a phone, that's a first for a mobile device, AND the screen is 4". now THAT is magical!
tongue_smile.gif
& will be more retina friendly.
rolleyes.gif
it also has excellent sound quality as stated in reviews.

I personally see more potential in android with their open source platform and with phones like galaxy S with 4 times the graphics power of the iPhone, some really fancy games can be developed for the phone, or a PS emulator that actually runs well.
cool.gif

Jun 8, 2010 at 3:13 PM Post #25 of 124
If I was in the market for a smartphone with a 3G contract, the new iPhone would be a no-brainer for me. A "closed" ecosystem results in a superior user experience, because everything just works, usually flawlessly. The only thing Apple really "controls" anyways is what they sell in their own stores. In all the ways that really matter Apple's eco-system is open enough.

The one feature that Jobs lavished the most attention on was the new video call feature - it is open, and Apple will make the standard available to other phone manufacturers. Apple could open the iPhone completely and that wouldn't earn it any praise from its critics; they'd just move onto something else. Like criticizing the new gyroscope for example, while the other smartphones are still trying to figure out how to make a second accelerometer work.

I think that smartphone users would rather spend their time actually using their devices than spend hours trying to figure out what programs are crap. The App store largely eliminates these problems. For free Apps, Apple makes no direct money. For non-free Apps, Apple takes 30% of the payment (a percentage that is very competitive with other sales approaches). ANYONE can submit apps, and lots of small developers have made a bundle when they have a hit. If that sounds like a "closed" ecosystem to you, then I have some tickets for a vacation in a Russian gulag that I would like to sell you...

You know what Apple's "control-freakery" results in? Cool, useful, ultra-stable products. Some people like that sort of thing. If you don't, feel free to get a gadget like the Android that is more "open." Open to infection by virus is the reality; even Google doesn't trust the more "open" Windows OS anymore. I would hope that their Android people at least learn from MS's mistakes and Apple's success as to what the benefits of a "closed" system are. I also hope the Android comes with lifetime 24/7 phone support, because you're gonna need it.

As far as the new iPhone's hardware technology, there isn't ONE phone that matches ALL the features, but if we add up the features of a whole lot of phones, subtract the stuff that nobody cares for, add in some "vaporware", well, then, we might have a 'match.' But actually using such an "open", (and fictional) device, well have at it, because while the average Apple-hater is stuck on his "Incredible" learning curve, the rest of the world will be enjoying their shiney new iPhone.

Since the iPhone was first introduced, no smartphone has been able to even come close to matching its features or ease of use. Empirical data shows this to be true. For us to assume that the Android OS-based phones will somehow surpass the iPhone because of Android's so-called "openness" is ridiculous. Not only is the user experience less than optimal, it's lacking features the iPhone already has, and the number of apps for it is miniscule in comparison.

It will take years for other smartphone makers to catch up to the iPhone 3GS, much less surpass the current iPhone, so keep looking. The Meizu M8 might be the one, if it was available. The new Evo 4G looks promising, but it's ginormous. And it only took them 3 years to catch up to Apple!

Linux is open, and nobody wants to use it, that should be a clue for the clueless right there. G1 users are still waiting for the open market to produce something great. In that time, apps that were supposed to be unique to Android are appearing on the iPhone. K9, the answer to Android’s crappy iMap is still pretty mediocre. Stories of scams on the Android market have eroded the confidence of it's user base.

And while iPhone users are getting an early OS upgrade out of this latest release, Android has stopped updating the G1’s OS. The Android is not only not improving, it’s growing more glitchy, probably because apps aren’t really being developed for it anymore. Many early adopters have bought into the idea that the G1 would get better with time. There’s one born every minute.
But of course I'm just
deadhorse.gif
, right?

Jun 8, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #26 of 124
I wonder if it will sound as good as the 3gs for portable...Is there any reason it may not?

Jun 8, 2010 at 6:21 PM Post #30 of 124
did you mean dsp or dac?  I would be surprised if Sq didn't degrade a bit.  The components are so squished they had to develop a micro sim card to fit everything.  So I expect no upgrade to audio compenents, more elctronic noise and more EMI from external sources due to the glass front and back panels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back