iPad to Support USB Audio Interfaces via Camera Connection Kit?
Aug 5, 2010 at 12:55 PM Post #257 of 454

Quote:
It also works with the Little Dot Dac1.  The great thing about the uDac is that you can convert the signal to coax out and hook it up to just about any DAC.

Indeed!  That is how I got it to "work" with the Yulong DAC...

Aug 5, 2010 at 1:33 PM Post #259 of 454

Speaking of the uDAC, it would be interesting if someone could try out the uDAC2.

-john

uDAC-2 is 24/96 and did not work on my iPad/camera kit.

jc9394, you can use a uDAC-1 to feed coax into the PWD.

Aug 11, 2010 at 4:02 AM Post #262 of 454
nuForce Icon Mobile doesn't work. 

Aug 11, 2010 at 11:26 AM Post #263 of 454
That's strange that the Icon Mobile doesn't work. I have both the Icon Mobile and a iPad, but no camera connection kit so I can't test it myself. Did you try it with the Apple kit, or was it one of the chinese knock-offs? The Icon Mobile "should" work as the uDac does it...

Has anyone else tried the Icon Mobile on the iPad?

Aug 11, 2010 at 11:27 AM Post #264 of 454
The other useful thing would be to list the DAC chip inside each of the confirmed working models. I would help but I'm busy at work these days. 

Aug 11, 2010 at 1:13 PM Post #265 of 454

Quote:
The other useful thing would be to list the DAC chip inside each of the confirmed working models. I would help but I'm busy at work these days. 

Here are some:

iBasso D2, D2+, D3, D4 -TI PCM2706
iBasso D10 - TI PCM2906
Nuforce uDAC - TI PCM2706
DacMagic - C-Media CM-108
Meier Corda Symphony - DIR9001

Cheers
Reiner

Aug 11, 2010 at 6:16 PM Post #266 of 454
Let me enter the debate on the Headphonia DAC cable.  It works fine for me - sound is full, great soundstage.  Not thin at all.

I have fed the signal to the line in on a Shadow, XM5 and D10, all with good results.

As confirmed, a straight USB feed to the D10 also works very well.

Makes me wonder if there are different iterations of the DAC cable, some of which will work and some of which won't.

BTW, I can't help smiling when I look at the little Shadow sitting on top of the iPad - a justaposition of incongruities.

Aug 11, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #267 of 454
OK, I added the Headphonia DAC cable in the "works" category.  I thought I had saw a "doesn't work" report, but now I can't find it.  Does someone verified  "doesn't work" for this DAC?

Also, one thing I noticed in the post about support in the iPad was that the DAC needs to *start* supporting 16 bit.  So if the DAC can support more than one mode, it needs to start out in the mode the iPad supports. 

So...  It seems if the DAC can switch modes, and remembers the last used mode, and you used it on something other than 16 bit, you might introduce a situation where it won't work with the iPad even though the DAC itself *could* work.

Perhaps someone who knows more about this could comment.

Thanks,

-john

Aug 11, 2010 at 7:21 PM Post #268 of 454
ccfoodog, your memory didn't fail you.  Your recollection is correct.  For someone with a negative experience, see
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/483404/ipad-to-support-usb-audio-interfaces-via-camera-connection-kit/225#post_6808384

On the other hand, shigzeo appears to have had the same positive experience as I did.  See
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/481085/ipad-fi/360#post_6823095

I am not sure if these links will work directly, but they do work as URLs.

Perhaps others will chime in.

Thanks for your work on the very helpful list.

Aug 11, 2010 at 8:16 PM Post #269 of 454
Ah, thanks.  I missed that the one utdeep called "lifeless" was the "DAC cable".  I've moved the Headphonia DAC cable to the "issues" category. 

That said, I can't seem to find anyone saying it *didn't* work. 

Thanks,

-john

Users who are viewing this thread

Back