iPad to Support USB Audio Interfaces via Camera Connection Kit?
Jul 23, 2010 at 9:42 PM Post #228 of 454

Quote:
Thanks Larry. Neither the iQube V2 portable or the Yulong D100 home DACs worked. I may just pop for a uDAC just to use with the iPad.

I have a spare prototype here that I could loan you to try. 

Quote:
Does anyone know if apple will allow the camera connection kit to work on the iPhone 4?

Not yet they don't.

Jul 23, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #229 of 454
Thanks for the offer Larry, but since they're pretty cheap I went ahead and ordered one, since it seem to work well with the iPad, and most of the reviews, including your very comprehensive and excellent one, seemed quite positive. And this is one application where I can't really use tubes :)

Jul 23, 2010 at 10:26 PM Post #230 of 454

Quote:
Thanks for the offer Larry, but since they're pretty cheap I went ahead and ordered one, since it seem to work well with the iPad, and most of the reviews, including your very comprehensive and excellent one, seemed quite positive. And this is one application where I can't really use tubes :)

I'd also like to hear what you think about the uDAC as an RCA line out DAC, and try the coax S/PDIF out too.  BTW, the uDAC sounds lovely with the LCD-2.

Jul 24, 2010 at 11:09 AM Post #231 of 454

Quote:
I'd also like to hear what you think about the uDAC as an RCA line out DAC, and try the coax S/PDIF out too.  BTW, the uDAC sounds lovely with the LCD-2.

Thanks -  all good news!  I will try all of that.  I plan to use the iPad > uDAC combo mostly with the Beyer t50p and the Ultrasone Edition 8, but will try the LCD-2 as well just for grins
biggrin.gif

Jul 26, 2010 at 4:31 PM Post #233 of 454
I have a 64gb iPad with 3G, the connection kit, headphonia usb dac cable, and a mustang.  It all seems to work, but the sound is very lifeless compared with my macbook pro, headphonia usb dac cable, and mustang.  I am using JH16 Pros.

Something is definitely not right about the sound.  It may be that the DAC cable draws power out of the computer but can't do it with the iPad.  That could be why the iPad can't charge an iPhone with the kit either.

Jul 26, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #235 of 454

Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by dazzer1975 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wouldn't it be easier just to include a couple of usb ports in the first place?

Ahhh thats right, this is Apple we are talking about, convenience, functionality and performance are not the bywords that guide their over-riding philosophy.

What a stupid thing to say... I guess that is why iPhones are so popular...? Why so many people in the know use Macs...?

Ridiculous...

Rob

Iphones have cameras don't they?

Jul 26, 2010 at 5:01 PM Post #236 of 454

Quote:
I have a 64gb iPad with 3G, the connection kit, headphonia usb dac cable, and a mustang.  It all seems to work, but the sound is very lifeless compared with my macbook pro, headphonia usb dac cable, and mustang.  I am using JH16 Pros.

Something is definitely not right about the sound.  It may be that the DAC cable draws power out of the computer but can't do it with the iPad.  That could be why the iPad can't charge an iPhone with the kit either.

Interesting as I wanted to get the almost exact setup: iPad>headphonia DAC cable>RS Shadow. Will need to reconsider now. I think the DAC is the weakest link. Centrance DAC looks to be my next choice. Is your DAC burned in utdeep? Because most DACs sound dead when they are new but then after hours of use become more "lively".

Edit: I just read Larry's post one page back and it seems my second choice Centrance DACport won't work either. We got to make some kind of a list what DACs work with ipad and which don't.

Edit2: "DACport now works with the iPad! Offers a giant audio quality improvement. Stay tuned for an announcement over athttp://www.dacport.com"
http://twitter.com/CEntrance
great news

Jul 26, 2010 at 6:30 PM Post #237 of 454
The DAC is definitely not the weakest link.  Surprisingly, the headphonia DAC cable is the best portable DAC I've used.

I think the headphonia DAC cable relies on USB power to provide the best quality sound.  The iPad does not provide enough power using the connection kit... it's enough to support SD cards and camera connections but not enough to power any device. 

Jul 29, 2010 at 7:56 PM Post #239 of 454
Picked up the USB camera kit box from UTC San Diego Apple store & hooked it up to my ipad, then USB to my old school Xitel Pro Hifi-Link.
Then RCAs out to the 1st Gen ZVOX Audio powered speaker box - sounds great!

No messages of any kind, it just worked, took over all audio.  Outputted fixed volume.

And a sorta-multitasking surprise.  After streaming Pandora for a while, the ipad went on blank screen standby and the music kept on going!

Looking forward to trying this combo with a uDac.

Jul 29, 2010 at 8:11 PM Post #240 of 454
The uDAC worked flawlessly with the camera kit. Totally automatic, as you said. Only drawback is that it does drain the battery faster than not using it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back